YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feet Trouble
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Madrone
Posted 2007-12-31 12:02 AM (#101274)
Subject: Feet Trouble

Good evening! I think I may have posted a similar question before, but I can't find it. Please excuse the repitition.

Until two years ago, I practiced yoga regularly for four or five years. I moved, started a new job and didn't make time to continue my practice. It is time for me to start again, but I'm having some muscle problems and I'm hoping someone can help.

Whenever I sit on my feet - specifically to strech the shin and arch muscles during warm up - the pain is horrible. The tops of my feet hurt and there is very little improvement. The muscle on the side of my hip hurts as well - it feels like it wraps around my pelvic bone and is tight all the time. I teach and am on my feet at least six hours a day. I was prepared for sore soles, but not for the pain on the tops of my feet. My doctor just says I am on my feet to much and to buy better shoes.

That doesn't help me. This is getting in the way of my practice and I don't like to not be able to name the problem! Has anyone else had similar trouble? My gut says there is a problem with standing at work (and my weight), and probably shoe trouble, too.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Madrone
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-31 3:06 AM (#101275 - in reply to #101274)
Subject: RE: Feet Trouble

I suspect this is your previous post entitled Shin Pain & Virasana.

If you are "sitting on the feet" specifically to "stretch the shin and arch muscles" I'd advise finding alternate ways of doing that. This would be more so the case if the student is carrying extra weight as the method (or pose) chosen for the work requires that part of your anatomy to bear body weight.

Consider Virasana with height under the sitting bones. Use a block under the sitting bones perpendicular to the plane of the shins/thighs rather than parallel. Use a rolled blanket under the front of the ankles if there is pain.

Also consider dorsi-flexion and plantar-flexion of the ankles in the supine position. Do these fairly rapidly on the exhalation only, resting on the inhalation. Do this as if the feet are one and they are being use as flippers.

Muscles around the shins can be worked with a variety of actions in standing poses. If you are not aware of them then find an instructor who is. In the meantime ground the heels and toe mounds and suck the arches toward the pelvis.

Try a pair of Earth shoes. I've just recently bought a pair so I cannot give testimonial. But they may help. Or not.

The muscles of the hip are a more involved conversation.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-31 8:30 AM (#101276 - in reply to #101274)

Take a private class from an experienced teacher showing what is exactly the situation with you.

Madrone - 2007-12-31 12:02 AM
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Madrone
tourist
Posted 2007-12-31 10:33 AM (#101281 - in reply to #101274)

Expert Yogi

Madrone - yes, the advice is the same as before. Get something under yourself to raise the floor up, as my teacher says. I found several images by googling virasana, but for some reason I can't seem to just cut and paste them. The other option is to leave it out and use another seated posture.

Posted 2007-12-31 1:45 PM (#101286 - in reply to #101274)

Roll with these tourist

(virasana.jpg)

(mbs2006-058.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments virasana.jpg (5KB - 28 downloads)
Attachments mbs2006-058.jpg (26KB - 20 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2008-01-01 11:57 AM (#101317 - in reply to #101286)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Gordon - you even chose the photos I would have used
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)