YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back pain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

theatre
Posted 2008-01-01 4:32 PM (#101329)
Subject: back pain

Being a new member I was stumped as to how to write to people. I have spinal stenous, mild. My right leg hurts and my lower back. I do stretches in the morning and feel pretty good. But when I go to my restorative yoga class at my yoga studio, I feel great when I come away. I want to advance to more enegetic yoga but I am afraid to. It doesn't seem my doctors really know anything about yoga. How should I proceed?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-01-01 4:57 PM (#101330 - in reply to #101329)
Subject: RE: back pain

Welcome Mary. I'd recommend talking with your teacher in your restorative yoga class. He/she will know you're situation best. Without knowing you and your situation, we'd be hard pressed to advise you how safely to proceed.

Posted 2008-01-01 6:20 PM (#101337 - in reply to #101329)

Hello Mary.

The condition you mention mandates a very mindful practice. You could grow out of the restorative practice as long as the practice you grow toward is a mindful one with a trained teacher who knows your situation fully. Said practice should not encourage an aggressive, yang practice at all while there is a narrowing of the spinal canal.

spinal stenosis

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-01 6:20 PM
Nick
Posted 2008-01-03 12:45 PM (#101428 - in reply to #101337)

Hi Mary,
I don't have any experience with this condition, but I understand that physiotherapy often involves 'flexion' exercises for the lumbar spine. I would imagine that this is done in order to open up the foramina (holes through which the spinal nerves exit the vertebra), so that the nerves are not squashed by the narrowing exits. As extension exercises may make these exits smaller, either in the short term, or in the long term if done incorrectly, you might want to develop a yoga routine comprising mainly of flexion exercises, i.e. forward bends.
Having said that, I think most students would benefit from practice of the 'angry cat/camel' series (link below) which uses the nerves as a kind of floss on the exits-as the nerve is pulled backwards and forwards, chemicals are released which make the walls of the exit retreat, effectively increasing the space though which the nerve has to pass.
Try to replicate the sensations experienced in cat pose in your yoga practice. The link below demonstrates the exercise-no time at all should be spent in full extension or full flexion, but you are practicing the motion involved in moving from spinal flexion to extension-like flossing, it's the motion that does the job
It's probably important to have an informed person to spot your movement, but you should soon be able to practice effectively by your self. You know it's working if your symptoms gradually subside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z8WBRXLEOI&NR=1

Take care
Nick

Edited by Nick 2008-01-03 12:46 PM

Posted 2008-01-06 11:21 AM (#101542 - in reply to #101329)

Hi,
I have spinal stenous too; and it was actually my physiotherapist who recommended yoga. I had thought of it before, but I was, just like you, afraid. I follow yoga classes once a week, and practice at home too. And I still go and see my physiotherapist twice a week. during physiotherapy I work on the muscles in the lower part of my back and the hips. I tolled my yoga teacher about my situation and he said I shouldn't do any more than my body actually can. When I feel pain I have to stop, he is a very nice teacher and sometimes even give me other exercises to do. Try talk to yourphysiotherapist and your yoga teacher, it will help!
Ram
Posted 2008-01-24 4:10 PM (#102397 - in reply to #101329)

I think you are referring to "stenosis" which is a narrowing in your spinal columm. Most people eventually will get some of it esp. if they dont do yoga. Yoga is an excellent therapy for it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)