YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

STAND UP AGAINST NON COMPETES!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

larabear
Posted 2008-01-06 9:41 AM (#101538 - in reply to #101369)
Subject: RE: STAND UP AGAINST NON COMPETES!

Lastly, to end on a good note-
I am very happy in a way that it didn't work out. A nearby studio is already interested in hosting the class. THANKYOU all so much for the awesome feedback. I feel so fortunate to have all this support!
ANd thabks for the suggestion to host in a church, etc- good idea!

I think motherhood is the single most transformative time for a woman, and more than ever our bodies need our yoga and other theraputic practices to help us manage stress and reconnect to our new bodies. What's great about mommy and me is that it helps women learn how fit in our practice with our babies, and to connect to other women who are also new moms. Having just had a baby I feel that I have a advantage in teaching this uniqe class.

I can't wait to teach it. ANd like my husband said- all the stress she had already caused me could never be compensated by a studio who focuses so much on what they are taking and not giving anything back to their teachers!

I have no hard feelings toward Alexandra from Absolute Yoga in Hopkinton, MA- I simply feel that I am fortunate to be out before I ever got into that sort of environment, and I'm glad I see it now- because I couldn't see it before.

ANyway- thanks so much again for all your help on this one!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-01-06 10:18 AM (#101539 - in reply to #101369)

Your husband is a yogi! A very wise man.

<<ANd like my husband said- all the stress she had already caused me could never be compensated by a studio who focuses so much on what they are taking and not giving anything back to their teachers!>>

Posted 2008-01-06 10:34 AM (#101540 - in reply to #101369)
Subject: RE: STAND UP AGAINST NON COMPE

didn't i call it?

seriously, it's about emotional insecurity. she feels very insecure "in her heart" and because of that, she cannot simply allow people to be. good thing you were able to avoid this.

now, interestingly enough, people who are secure have no problems with this. my friend opened a studio in downtown p-ville, a revitalizing town near me that is AWESOME. anyway, my friend is very cool and she gives us a sweet deal. and, she wants diversity, so we just do our thing and she doesn't worry about it at all.

well, a new studio is opening two blocks away. my friend was at first a bit nervous, but we talked about it. the truth is, what my friend offers and what another studio offers are going to be two different things. even if they're both offering yoga. and, she has no problem if the teachers who work with her work there too.

to be honest, she knows that she cannot make up for what i want/can earn if i work multiple places--even if two blocks away. there simply aren't enough classes.

now, i have no intention to work for this other studio--like i said, my friend gives me a sweet deal.

but notice that a secure person is perfectly ok with a studio opening two blocks away AND her teachers going there to work if they want to.

larabear
Posted 2008-01-06 12:56 PM (#101544 - in reply to #101369)

YOu were right!

I meditated last night in the car on the way to the grocery store, multi-tasking at its best!

and I thought, In a universe where we are constantly dying and being born, where everything is temporary adn eternal at the same time, in this dicotomy, to try and restrict anyone or anything is futile.
larabear
Posted 2008-01-06 12:57 PM (#101545 - in reply to #101369)
Subject: Bruce,

It's funny because Jason, my hubby is a game designer- he is partly responsible for that game "Guitar Hero" and Rock Band" endorsed by MTV- and people always ask me,
You seem so different, yoga teacher and videogame designer?!
But in some ways as much as he is constantly on the computer, watching TV or playing games, and I am playing with Zoe, at the library and doing yoga,
He is infinately more grounded than me, and does seem to have practical wisdom!

I'm so caugjht up in not wantng to hurt anyone's feelings, and in his no-nonscense way he seems to avoid conflict better!

Peace,
L

Edited by larabear 2008-01-06 1:01 PM

Posted 2008-01-06 5:01 PM (#101556 - in reply to #101369)

Though this seems "over" I'd like to add one last point.

The studio owner or director absolutely has the right to use a non-compete or a contract with any language he or she chooses. Said person is running their own business and as such can craft that however they'd like. If she/he wants to offer pole dancing or pilates...it is up to them.

If we, as teachers, don't care for their business model, their offering, or their treatment we are free to go elsewhere if reasonable negotiation is not fruitful.
larabear
Posted 2008-01-06 5:58 PM (#101557 - in reply to #101556)

Yes, you are right,
But since it was sprung on me in the last minute, after I had already told friends and had advertised the class,
I was just trying to see if we could make something reasonable work in hopes that both of our needs could be met, I was wrong. But it was worth a shot.
larabear
Posted 2008-01-07 1:56 PM (#101615 - in reply to #101557)

additionally if every studio were to require this of their teachers, it would become impossible to earn a sustainable income without having to drive over 100 miles

Posted 2008-01-08 1:15 AM (#101637 - in reply to #101369)

Who's earning a sustainable income? LOL

Did you previously mention that this was "sprung" on you at the last minute?
If so, then I missed it. I'm sorry.

If not, then it seems it would have been very relevant to add to the thread a bit earlier.
And while I think we'd all agree that it's a questionable thing to do when done last minute, life is sort of like that. My guess is if that is the sort of thing a business does then it's best not to get involved with them at all. Better to know before then to find out their wayward six months down the line.

mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 7:00 AM (#101642 - in reply to #101369)

Expert Yogi

Larabear,
You don't know me well but I just thought I would offer my experience. This past summer I went through some emotional issues and my youngest son was diagnosed with a lifelong illness.
While going through all this emotional baggage I was seeking employment in a yoga studio, not having much luck I might add. The high and mighty attitudes blew me away.
Finally one picked me up and a verbal non-compete was agreed upon. I was not to work in any yoga studio within a 15 mile radius. Wouldn't you know as soon as I started working at this said studio (a early bird class time, hard to pull in the numbers) 2 other studios called me. I had to decline because I made a commitment.
I stayed with this studio for most of the summer but eventually ended my relationship and employment there because spiritually it was NOT a good fit. I wanted to work in a yoga studio so bad that it clouded my intuition and ultimately lost sight of what I strive to represent.
I've come to the conclusion that I like working on my own. I did not have a pleasant experience being involved in a so called "Sangha" where I was not welcome and needed to conform.
I will never agree to a non-compete nor will I seek employment where I must be what I am not. I do not like any individual who terms themselves "enlightened", especially studio owners who portray themselves as above others.
I will remain a single entity who works for the benefit and goodness of all. I can, have and will continue to deliver that message on my own terms as I believe my path has been paved for me to follow.
Maybe this sounds harsh. I went through so much this summer and that includes my involvement with a yogic life. I almost walked away from yoga. But luckily I meditated daily to the divine spirit and she guided me.
Tune in to your third eye and follow your heart.
In Metta
Mish

Posted 2008-01-08 7:52 AM (#101650 - in reply to #101369)

I'm SO glad Mish has found her way back and offering solid advice for us all.
larabear
Posted 2008-01-08 2:21 PM (#101682 - in reply to #101369)

wow. Thankyou for sharing. I am sure something similar would of happened. I am Proud to reaport that another studio, after putting the word out, will galdly be adding my Mommy and Me Yoga class to their schedule- and on top of that, the owner, Shawn of MEtrowest Yoga in Westboro, MA,
has had a similar history of violence that I too have had in my past. I really connect to her on many levels, her studio is beautiful and striving effortlessly, and she told me that they never ask non competes of their teachers!!!
The drama is over folks!
I will post my class link as soon as Shawn adds me to the studio profile!
This way you can see my baby girl and I's pic!
Thanks for the love folks,
I recently wrote another post entitled, Miss the ashram blues- and the feeling of community that I convey in that post, is one and the same of the sense of family and support that I feel from all of you!
I can't tell you how much I needed the push in the right direction.
L
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-08 3:03 PM (#101685 - in reply to #101369)

Thanks to SisMish for the great Yogic Attitude. I shall do the same.
tourist
Posted 2008-01-08 9:20 PM (#101702 - in reply to #101685)

Expert Yogi

Frankly, I can't imagine any independent yoga studio having the kind of funds necessary to legally challenge anyone violating a non-compete anyway...

And yes, GOOD for YOU mish!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-09 6:01 AM (#101712 - in reply to #101369)

Expert Yogi

I have to add one more thing here that I think might rise debate and if so we can start another thread.
This studio that I worked for over the summer, well the yoga practitioners who worked there were fully aware that I blogged online and let me know in many ways that they read them. They also stated (not in these words) that people who participated on forums and wrote blogs are shallow, have problems, etc......
I saw nothing of value in their comments except to let me know they are reading my words (which really is a compliment that they take time out of their schedule to read them). I regret nothing I have said or shared. Who are we as role models to our students to judge another???

I just want to say that I love you all and you have all been instrumental in the development of my knowledge, views and practice of yoga. I have met some incredible yogis here that I hope to meet face to face throughout my life.
In Metta

Posted 2008-01-09 10:05 AM (#101722 - in reply to #101369)

well, i have normal human problems, honestly. who doesn't? of course. . .i like being online.

it's not my whole life, but i learn a lot, and it's fun, and it's not like i do this exclusive of other work or time with people IRL.

and some of my online friends have become good 'real life' friends too.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-09 11:12 AM (#101726 - in reply to #101722)

One has to wonder what was really going on with the owner of the studio. Certainly, in the UK, it's the norm for fitness instructors, masseurs, yoga teachers, etc, to work in multiple locations unless they're actually the studio or gym owner. As such, I can understand being asked not to encourage students to leave the studio for another or for your own classes exclusively but the rest is overkill, particularly when you're being asked to take a single class rather than being a full-time employee.

Fee
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-09 5:35 PM (#101748 - in reply to #101369)

The business owner certainly has the right to ask teachers not to teach elsewhere (though it's totally unprofessional not to present these terms up front), but it's incredibly silly. Who can pay all of their bills based on one class or two?

However, what I do agree, is that the studios make it clear you cannot advertise your other classes while teaching there. It's not fair to the studio to say "oh by the way, catch me tomorrow down the street." Students will of course ask you where else you teach when they like you, and you can be very discrete by taking their email or phone and agreeing to send that info.

Posted 2008-01-09 6:46 PM (#101755 - in reply to #101369)

i think that it makes sense to not advertise other classes in a studio setting, and studios can make their own rules about special events too.

one studio where i work lets me advertise anything that i do there--day retreats, weekend retreats, workshops. of course, i do all of my workshops there because it's such a great deal, but i can't do everything there because of the schedule, and they have no problem with me offering my other stuff to their students.

of course, i also udnerstand that some studios aren't or wouldn't be happy with this, and that's ok. i carry business cards so that if people ask me about stuff, they can go to my web site and look up everything that i'm doing.
tmarques
Posted 2008-01-09 11:55 PM (#101762 - in reply to #101712)

mishoga - 2008-01-09 6:01 AM

They also stated (not in these words) that people who participated on forums and wrote blogs are shallow, have problems, etc......
I saw nothing of value in their comments except to let me know they are reading my words (which really is a compliment that they take time out of their schedule to read them).

People who participate in forums "have problems" but people who monitor their posts don't?

Posted 2008-01-10 1:04 AM (#101765 - in reply to #101369)

Seems the "yoga world" is susceptible to the same influences, the same misguidings, the same Ego trips that other industries are prone to. All the more reason for some to stand up and represent Yoga in a light that reflects it rather than a shadow that blocks it.
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-10 5:38 AM (#101768 - in reply to #101765)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2008-01-10 1:04 AM

Seems the "yoga world" is susceptible to the same influences, the same misguidings, the same Ego trips that other industries are prone to. All the more reason for some to stand up and represent Yoga in a light that reflects it rather than a shadow that blocks it.

Gordon, this is so true! I really believed in my heart that every single yogi is working hard to get past fear, insecurity, jealousy.......(some of these individuals should be working with their Koshas, especially the Manamaya Kosha) What a huge disappointment it was for me to find out the hard way that many haven't or aren't working past these negative influences.
Thank god I believe in my heart this is my path. I really thought I would walk (as did others) and felt such despair. This is why I remain a single entity.
The people who wanted to mentor me represented nothing that I want to be, not that I am judging them, I just have different views.
I have one mentor who I trust and he will forever remain my mitraH and spiritual leader. I don't need or want others. I've been with him through this journey and shall remain faithful.
In Rahini

Posted 2008-01-10 10:34 AM (#101782 - in reply to #101369)

one of the things that i was taught and learned early is that yoga is a healing discipline, so it attracts people who want/need to be healed.

and, of course, it's practiced by humans.

therefore, of course it will have the same issues and concerns that other aspects of life encounter, and it's a valuable learning experience with the right perspective.

and beyond that, one must shine one's light one way or another.

Posted 2008-01-10 12:22 PM (#101788 - in reply to #101782)

"...one must shine one's light one way or another."

Reminds me of George Harrison's "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

Posted 2008-01-10 12:49 PM (#101789 - in reply to #101369)

good old george.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)