YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I touched people in class!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sue
Posted 2008-01-05 3:28 PM (#101525)
Subject: I touched people in class!

Did that subject line get your attention?

I did my first adjustments in yesterday's class! It was one of my "improvements" that my teacher recommended after I team taught for the first time in his class a few weeks ago, so I thought I should just jump right in and do it. I was a little hesitant at first, but I kind of walked around for the first few minutes and let the class get a few poses in. Once we got to the Warrior series, I was able to help out more. It's funny - he had told me that you have to kind of feel your way into it - some people love to be adjusted and others HATE it. But it was true - those that wanted nothing to do with it just gave off that vibe & I let them do their thing (as wrong as that was - but there you go). After awhile, I had people smiling and digging the adjustments - they really seemed to like it. Some even thanked me after class! Wow! I could get used to that ego boost. The other reason I wanted to do adjustments is that this teacher seems to only adjust the good looking (in his eyes, I guess) people - and I just don't think that's cool. So I focused on everybody - people that looked great in a pose I brought them deeper and the beginners I just helped sometimes to not fall over! Whatever - I want everyone to feel comfortable in class. Anyway - I just wanted to share my experience. I'm trying to celebrate my small beginnings but I'm still freaked out about teaching my first class!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-01-05 3:31 PM (#101526 - in reply to #101525)
Subject: RE: I touched people in class!

Another obstacle trampled in your quest to be a wonderful teacher. Congratualtions! If you need more touching experience, I'll volunteer--hey, no need to thank me--just the kind of guy I am.

(Seriously, good post Sue)

Posted 2008-01-06 2:33 AM (#101531 - in reply to #101525)

Hello Sue.

Yes that did get my attention.
Were you looking for some particular feedback on this?
asananow
Posted 2008-01-06 3:48 PM (#101548 - in reply to #101525)

Good for you!  We're actually going to go over adjustments at my next teacher training and I'm like "Okay, but I don't plan on ever doing any."  Of course that is not realistic but I do think it is a big step.  Congrats!

Sue
Posted 2008-01-06 4:41 PM (#101552 - in reply to #101548)

That's pretty much how I viewed them too in my teacher training - funny. I just started watching how other teachers approached it and then scaled back slightly. It's one thing to do it in a training but a whole other thing in an actual class. I just did very basic things such as opening their shoulders more in side angle or making sure their arms were straight in Warrior II and I, that kind of thing. You can do it! Just try it out & see what happens! Good luck in your teacher training!
Sue
Posted 2008-01-06 4:43 PM (#101553 - in reply to #101531)

I guess not - I posted with the intent of positing some questions, but it turned into more of a "confessional". Sorry about that.

Posted 2008-01-06 4:46 PM (#101554 - in reply to #101525)

Nothing to be sorry about at all. I just wanted a framework for my reply. Now I have it. thank you.

Posted 2008-01-06 7:24 PM (#101560 - in reply to #101525)

adjustment is a difficult art to get the hang of.
it is frustrating for me as a student to receive nebulous, unfocused adjustments that leave me wondering "what is this person trying to get me to do"
i was wondering earlier, how do you discern where the student needs to be touched, where in their system of movement they have the potential to breakthrough and learn new alignments at that time.

it usually takes me a little while working with new people before i can make decent adjustments on them...learning their bodies and such.
its really frustrating that so many people wear those floppy legged 'yoga pants'
they totally obscure the calf and knee, which serve as templates for distortion further up the body.

that would be a good name for a band, "templates for distortion"
tourist
Posted 2008-01-06 7:49 PM (#101561 - in reply to #101560)

Expert Yogi

Iyengar students usually prefer clear, strong adjustments. Do you read Dave Barry, dhan?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)