YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hatha Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Kskwerl
Posted 2008-01-08 2:26 PM (#101683)
Subject: Hatha Yoga

Hey Everyone, My names Erich and I'm new to Yoga.com. I'm 20 years old, 5'9 and 185lbs. I have been doing Strength Training for 31 weeks so far. I have read on Bodybuilding.com that Hatha Yoga is a good place to start for beginners to yoga. The Workout program that I am doing is a strength training program in weight I set PR's (Personal Records) every week on exercises such as Squat, Bench Press, Row and Deadlift. A lot of my friends who use the same training claim that yoga greatly helps when applying it to a strength training program such as mine. This is the reason I am interested in starting yoga. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction it would be beyond appreciated! Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-08 2:54 PM (#101684 - in reply to #101683)
Subject: RE: Hatha Yoga

You seem to be doing fantastic. Why do you want to start Yoga?
jonnie
Posted 2008-01-27 1:32 PM (#102508 - in reply to #101683)

Hi Erich,

Welcome to the forum.

Different styles of (physical) Yoga will produce different results. Ideally, we should be aiming for a balance between flexibility and strength in our practise. When you choose a style to practise, ensure that you consider this.

Some styles such as Ashtanga/Power Yoga are quite strength based, which may over work you, with your weights schedule.

Jonathon

Posted 2008-01-27 5:49 PM (#102512 - in reply to #101683)

Erich,

I think a good place to start varies from one biped to the next.
Some people obviously need to experience traffic by standing in the middle of the freeway at rush hour. Others ride the bus. Some work at home. Hopefully all survive the experience.

Most of the current yoga offerings are Hatha yoga. That is a topic for another thread and time.

I believe the first question to answer is "why am I doing yoga at all?" From that will grow the answer to "is yoga an addition to my current workout or is it a counter". Once you begin the process of answering these questions a direction can be more authentically formed. In that way your needs will be met by the choice that you make.

If you are looking to add a fiery, aggressive, active, "workout" then there's a path for that. If you are convinced you've already got enough of that going on in your life/current regimen then a counter might provide you what you are NOT already getting. Do you want more of the same or something on the opposite pole?

You mention "yoga greatly helps" your strength training as your "reason". If you do not have a more specific response then it might be time for some pertinent research on your part.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-27 5:51 PM
Pema
Posted 2008-01-31 11:13 AM (#102733 - in reply to #101683)

Namaste!
Welcome to the forum. I, too, am new here. You'll find Yoga has many pathways. Enjoy the exploration!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)