YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sivananda-Bahamas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

graceford
Posted 2008-01-10 6:46 PM (#101811)
Subject: Sivananda-Bahamas

Has anyone ever done the TTC at the Sivananda Ashram in the Bahamas? I am trying to decide between there or Kerela or Kutir...The ashram in the Bahamas is near Nassau and I'm afraid I'd be walking into some commerical jungle of Club Med and tourist traps..if anyone has any thoughts, insight or experiences they would like to share about any of these TTC locations..

Peace,
Grace
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-01-11 11:08 AM (#101835 - in reply to #101811)
Subject: RE: Sivananda-Bahamas

i haven't been to any of them, but i believe that one of our forum participants has been to the one in kerela. i'd probably go there myself.

of course, i just want to go to india. i'd go to india before i went to the bahamas--if i had a choice, if i could afford it, etc.

now, my other friend, he loves the bahamas. he says he'd live there if he could afford it. he just loved it there. it's very beautiful, he says.

and it's a wealthy nation, for the most part (he's driven/ridden the whole main island and various small ones), and so it's pretty "fancy" but also very 'homey' (or so he says anyway).
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-11 12:21 PM (#101843 - in reply to #101811)

All that depends on what you want to achieve. Either PM me or ask more specific questions. I have a friend who went to the Bahamas a year ago and she was totally disappointed because she has previous Iyengar Style Exercise background. (I do not know what the H@@@ she was looking for at the Bahamas place.) On the other hand, I have at least 2 close friends, who have been to Bahamas, one of them at least 10 times, and one met his soulmate while meditating there.

As for comparison between India and Bahamas, they are Apples and Oranges, and must NOT be compared, except in the context of what you prefer and are looking for.

Best Luck.

graceford - 2008-01-10 6:46 PM

Has anyone ever done the TTC at the Sivananda Ashram in the Bahamas? I am trying to decide between there or Kerela or Kutir...The ashram in the Bahamas is near Nassau and I'm afraid I'd be walking into some commerical jungle of Club Med and tourist traps..if anyone has any thoughts, insight or experiences they would like to share about any of these TTC locations..

Peace,
Grace
graceford
Posted 2008-01-11 4:15 PM (#101857 - in reply to #101843)

I've done some research already on the Sivananda tradition..I've studied a few different types of yoga but I think that as far as teacher training goes, to teach beginners, Sivananda provides a good foundation to build your practise and teaching on.

In regards to location..which is important to me when I am studying...a more 'authentic' experience in India (either Kerela or Kutir) ? or trying to concentrate amidst cruise ships, club med noise and tourists..hmm..I do like the look of the bahamas ashram..looks beautiful..sooo afraid of getting there and being disappointed with the surroundings..however, I am sure the Kerela ashram is also a busy busy spot as well..just really wanted to hear about anyones experience in the Bahamas or India through Sivananda..

Any input is will not go unappreciated..

g.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-11 5:21 PM (#101861 - in reply to #101811)

Now, I understand. This is what I suggest: get the list or contact of the past certified TTs from the places you want to go. And, randomly write to many (or many more) of them to get the exact impression. This will be better than others guessing on your behalf.

I am sure that there is a conflict between the views of nature and cultural experience. And, there is also an uncertainty of having 'authentic experience' unless the teacher is so.

Best luck.
larabear
Posted 2008-01-13 8:10 PM (#101924 - in reply to #101811)

I did my training in Kerela at the Sivananda Ashram there!!!
I am so psyched that you wrote. I know a lot of the folks in the Bahamas, but have never been there myself- clearly they are very different experiences.
I can only tell you my experience. If you go to the teachers forum on this site, and go to "miss the ashram Blues" I recently wrote a little something about life there at the ashram and at the one in Canada- anouther FANTASTIC ashram. I recomend them both. I think in Canada when I spent time teaching there I was more focused than in India- because in India you get so absorbed in just being in this new and fascinating world. So there is that to contend with. What I did is left myself 2 months extra for travelling, anyone will tell you that 2 months in India is nothing! It flies by sooo fast- so please if you go give plenty of time to travel. I chose to travel afterwards- and I am glad for it- because I made many friends during my TTC then was more comfortable and confident travelling- when you first get to India ITis a ver intense place so being in the ashram first was a very nice transition to India. Then travelling with friends, both European, Mexican and Indian, we were just so free and the experience was much richer, this way./
I travelled from India's southern most tip, KanyaKumari, through Mysore to study some AShtanga, then to the Amma Ashram, then to one of the biggest Indian temples, and one of the oldest, the Menakshi temple in Madurai, we went to Delhi, to Krishna's birthplace, Vrindavan,
(all these spellings are based on how they sound! LOL) and then my favorite, the base of the Himilaya's, where the motherGanges runs clear- in Rishikesh, home of the wandering Sadhu's.
ANyway- I say go to the source, right?
ALso, it turns out to be the same amount of money. It's about $3,000 to do it in the US, and only about $1,500 to do it in Kerela, plus $1500 in airfare- or cheaper, so it comes out to be the same, plus you get a trip to INDIA!!!! Awesome deal!
L feel free to email me questions about visas travelling etc. (ANd if you go to Kerela- be sure to go to the Fusion resteraunt in Kovalom Beach! ANd OHHHHH!! the German BAkery in Varkala Beach- mouth watering!
Once in India, everything is sooooo cheap, so buy an empty suitcase to fill! THe best part about the ashram is you can leave bags there, while you travel, in their storage room beneath the office.
BEst of luck!
Lara
lovinlary@hotmail.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)