YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

After a brain concussion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

lawfrench
Posted 2008-01-12 1:41 PM (#101879)
Subject: After a brain concussion

Greetings to all,

Had a brain concussion 2.5 weeks ago while skiing, with all the " niceties" that follow: concentration difficulty, moderate headache, etc. Just got an ok from the doctor to resume physical activities.

Question: i read on some yoga site that after a concussion one should abstain from yoga for 3 months or so.. Is that true? And what about pranayama - kapalabhati and all, when can that be resumed?

Thanks in advance for helping out here,

Regards,
Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-13 10:48 PM (#101931 - in reply to #101879)
Subject: RE: After a brain concussion

1. Take opinion of a good Neurosurgeon.

2. Also, go to experienced yoga teacher.

3. Learn directly from teacher and do based on 1 and 2 above.

4. Follow your own limits.

tourist
Posted 2008-01-14 10:18 AM (#101951 - in reply to #101879)

Expert Yogi

Alex - sorry to hear about your injury. I would strongly suggest a longer recuperation period, though at this point you could certainly practice savasana. Do work with a teacher and do let him/her know about the injury. You should not be doing anything that "strains your brain", constricts your breath etc. and it would be helpful to have a teacher there to monitor what you may not be aware of in yourself. A friend of ours recently had a VERY severe concussion, and the main component of his recovery was patience - not something this particular individual is good at, I might add! Take care and let your brain heal itself.

Posted 2008-01-14 1:59 PM (#101971 - in reply to #101879)

Alex,

Did you get enough from Neel and Tourist?
It is, by the way, enough.

Typically a concussion is when the skull takes an impact and the brain jostles, hitting the interior wall of the cranium, thus bruising. Brain bruising is quite serious.

Since I do not know your practice (or anything else about you Chum, since you've shared so little) I cannot advocate your practice. Most definitely no inversions with brain issues. Powerful pranayama techniques are ill-advised as well (as Tourist mentions).

However I would not say "no practice" (again not knowing what your practice is). If it is a practice yang in nature I would seriously consider avoiding it all together or modifying to it's most yin state. Either that or taking on a practice that is yin in nature for at least 6 months.
peteysgirl
Posted 2009-06-11 2:12 PM (#116467 - in reply to #101879)

can anyone give me a bit more information about the safety of taking yoga after a concussion?
I suffered a concussion 2 1/2 weeks ago . Most of my headaches have dissipated but I still have vertigo esp when doing backbends and more severely during triangle.
I take hot vinyassa and regular hot yoga on a pretty regular basis, but have only gone to 3 classes since the concussion.

I ask because I am used to being active and find myself quite depressed without being so.

The teachers I've had don't seem OVERLY concerned about my taking class, although they are telling me to be careful.

do work study where I practice and am also reluctant to give that up.

Don't have health insurance-therefore no neurologist.

Thank you guys so much for any help
Muneeza
Posted 2012-02-14 3:48 AM (#209984 - in reply to #101879)

New User

Hi I m in same case I had concussion with tobogganing so it's about almost 3 week same hard to focus gets little headache but I use to go for yoga from two years 3days a week and I miss my yoga a lot I m so serious about yoga I m totally yoga person but when I can start yoga?,I m getting better but doctors said its usually 3months but i m doing laundry ,little driving ,cooking with little headache and ib brofen tablets I m frustrated so can you please give me some suggestion please I will appreciate about this thx.
Muneeza

Edited by Muneeza 2012-02-14 3:51 AM
Jinster
Posted 2012-02-14 5:07 AM (#209985 - in reply to #209984)
Subject: Re: After a brain concussion

New User

Hi Muneeza I am in the same situation as you I fell from a horse 3 weeks ago and have the same symptoms as you. I am missing my yoga so much. I think a little stretching for a few minutes is beneficial but definately no forward bends, inversions or back bends. Pranayama is not a good idea either. This is going to be a long slow process for us both so patience and meditation will be our best friends I think. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery Namaste. Jinny
callofsedona
Posted 2014-05-23 2:49 AM (#211529 - in reply to #101879)
Subject: Re: After a brain concussion

Veteran

Yes yoga can help but still we need opinion from the expert.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)