YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weighted Yoga Teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

shantiyogini
Posted 2008-01-31 4:34 PM (#102749)
Subject: Weighted Yoga Teacher

Hi yogis!
I have a problem with weight gain . . I used to work out,-- train with weights, cardio, aerobics--quite heavily . . . until I became absolutely passionate about yoga (teaching and practising). I have no interest in the others anymore, and have noticed weight gain. This coudl be attributed to my mass consumption of chocolate to get me through looong days of teaching. . . . but that aside, can anyone recommend a regimen of yoga practise that will really help keep a good tone and cardiovascular benefit??

Namaste
Top of the page Bottom of the page
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-31 9:47 PM (#102773 - in reply to #102749)
Subject: RE: Weighted Yoga Teacher

A vigorous vinyasa or astanga class is probably the best bet for cardiovascular training, but realistically, I would just add a separate cardio routine such as dance, walking, swimming, cycling, etc. Cardio doesn't have to be boring, hiking in a beautiful outdoor setting is very therapeutic and can be very meditative. The ancient yogis didn't jump on a treadmill but they walked a heck of a lot more than we do. Perhaps trying to drive less, walk more might be the simplest idea. Or frankly, I would invest in a bicycle and ride to your classes as much as you can.

I would also add to increase your protein, which will help you feel less hungry, cut back on the chocolate (and consume good 65%+ cacao chocolate only) and increase your water consumption to help you feel less tired.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-31 10:10 PM (#102777 - in reply to #102749)

I request you to stop the MASS CONSUMPTION OF chocolate throughout the day to get through Yoga Classes. Because, this way you are teaching Eating Chocolate more than Yoga.

shantiyogini - 2008-01-31 4:34 PM

Hi yogis!
I have a problem with weight gain . . I used to work out,-- train with weights, cardio, aerobics--quite heavily . . . until I became absolutely passionate about yoga (teaching and practising). I have no interest in the others anymore, and have noticed weight gain. This coudl be attributed to my mass consumption of chocolate to get me through looong days of teaching. . . . but that aside, can anyone recommend a regimen of yoga practise that will really help keep a good tone and cardiovascular benefit??

Namaste

Posted 2008-01-31 10:45 PM (#102779 - in reply to #102749)

I can sympathize - I started a new job and teacher training last fall and feel like I am getting out of shape. But I don't have time for everything.

Yoga is not exercise.
No where in the sutras does it say practice yoga and you will have a skinny body, tight abs and firm tush
However it does have a lot to say about clarity of mind and focus.

So I'm kind of thinking that you have two issues not one. First it sounds like your yoga practice may not be serving you if are using chocolate to cope with stress. Why are you eating the chocolate? Does it prepare you teach? Relieve stress? Relieve anxiety?

Exercise - while a vigorous asana practice might provide some physical benefits - I'm not sure the same asana practice would provide the stress benefits it sounds like you need primarily.

I think perhaps you have to think about what benefit you want from your yoga practice? Perhaps a senior teacher could help design an asana practice for you that would provide stress reduction and burn some calories - but in my mind these are diverse goals?

Best wishes.
Vic
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-01 7:54 AM (#102790 - in reply to #102779)

Hey Vic. Do not say that.

ruupalaavanyabalavajrasanhananatvaani kaayasampat.... Patanjali Chapter 3

ruupa - proper form

laavanya - beauty

bala - strength

ETC.

But, never mind, you are right. It is NOT due to the Yoga Exercise, but it is due to the Meditation!

victw - 2008-01-31 10:45 PM
Yoga is not exercise.
No where in the sutras does it say practice yoga and you will have a skinny body, tight abs and firm tush
However it does have a lot to say about clarity of mind and focus.Vic
shantiyogini
Posted 2008-02-01 8:28 AM (#102791 - in reply to #102749)

Thanks Guys . . . Chocolate. . . I just love it . . . what can I say. Exercise . . . one cannot be still in meditation when the body istoxic or lethargic . . .. although I am a yogini for a wicked passion for what I do, I do still dislike bulging over my pants . . . . Cardio, I notice when teaching a vigorous class that I actually get winded . . . which I don't like.
thanks guys!

Posted 2008-02-01 2:31 PM (#102816 - in reply to #102749)

i would recommend just adding some walking into your day. i do yoga (various forms) on a daily basis, and i like to go for walks or hikes in between classes.

and yes, cut back on the chocolate. honestly, there are healthier snacks to choose, and then have chocolate as a treat.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-01 3:40 PM (#102820 - in reply to #102791)

To give you some motivation: Adolf Hitler loved chocolates a lot!!!

shantiyogini - 2008-02-01 8:28 AM

Thanks Guys . . . Chocolate. . . I just love it . . . what can I say. Exercise . . . one cannot be still in meditation when the body istoxic or lethargic . . .. although I am a yogini for a wicked passion for what I do, I do still dislike bulging over my pants . . . . Cardio, I notice when teaching a vigorous class that I actually get winded . . . which I don't like.
thanks guys!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-02-02 7:41 AM (#102831 - in reply to #102749)

I love chocolate too, not because of Hitler . But I did find when I switched to really good dark chocolate I'm happy with a small piece. There are so many varieties now, it's easy to find one with hardly any or even no sugar. I might be rationalizing when I say I need the antioxidants but no need for mass consumption, a piece of chocolate goes great with an orange or any fruit you like.

Posted 2008-02-04 1:08 PM (#102887 - in reply to #102749)

it's amazing how that works. we only get dark, and we can get a bunch of fair trade varieties--cocoa grown in different parts of the world, and then processed differenrly in different parts of the world creates amazing diversity in flavor!

but, like you, i find that i can only have a piece--and usually with nuts or fruit--and i'm totally satisfied.

i used to eat a lot more. but once i went to dark chocolate, i didn't seem to want as much.

now, i eat about 1 1-inch square a week--and a few weeks ago, i couldn't stomach it at all (pregnancy). over christmas (very early in the pregnancy), i was completely NOT into it. LOL i couldn't eat sweets at all.

i'm just now able to consume chocolate again--and i have had one piece in the last 10 days or so. it's so interesting.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-04 1:19 PM (#102888 - in reply to #102831)

The chocolate should not be eaten for Anti Oxident. It can be eaten only for addiction or liking. But, unfortunately, one should like it only in a very very small count. That means one should NOT like it very Much!

bstqltmkr - 2008-02-02 7:41 AM

I love chocolate too, not because of Hitler . But I did find when I switched to really good dark chocolate I'm happy with a small piece. There are so many varieties now, it's easy to find one with hardly any or even no sugar. I might be rationalizing when I say I need the antioxidants but no need for mass consumption, a piece of chocolate goes great with an orange or any fruit you like.
city_girl
Posted 2008-02-04 7:18 PM (#102898 - in reply to #102749)

I dont know if you get fitTv or not but they have a good yoga show for the mornings...doing that daily may be what you are looking for.
Wand
Posted 2008-02-08 4:35 PM (#103148 - in reply to #102749)

Have you tried meditating on your chocolate. I do a practice with my students (occasionally - usually as an Xmas/Easter treat) where they each have a square of chocolate and we use it as a focus for concentration. It takes 15-20 mins to eat one square but they often comment that they feel like they have had a whole bar (and some have even said they realised when they were eating it the didn't really like the taste even though I had used their favourite bar!)
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 5:57 PM (#103151 - in reply to #103148)

This is fantastic and IMHO a correct way to cut down chocolate. Thanks for sharing this.

Wand - 2008-02-08 4:35 PM

Have you tried meditating on your chocolate. I do a practice with my students (occasionally - usually as an Xmas/Easter treat) where they each have a square of chocolate and we use it as a focus for concentration. It takes 15-20 mins to eat one square but they often comment that they feel like they have had a whole bar (and some have even said they realised when they were eating it the didn't really like the taste even though I had used their favourite bar!)
imadayana
Posted 2008-02-10 3:08 AM (#103197 - in reply to #102749)

I don't get it .. focus on a square of chocolate, then take 20 mins to eat it? Focus while eating? Focus first, then eat? I chomp on chocolate like a meal. Like I have to swallow it all before I listen to my conscience telling me to stop. So I'd like to try this focusing thing, if you could explain more?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-10 9:51 AM (#103204 - in reply to #103197)

If I may, let me add one suggestion. Make sure that you make the chocolate size very very small while keeping the 20 min time all the same. This is called "Subtle Meditation", I mean "Subtle Chocolate Meditation".

imadayana - 2008-02-10 3:08 AM

I don't get it .. focus on a square of chocolate, then take 20 mins to eat it? Focus while eating? Focus first, then eat? I chomp on chocolate like a meal. Like I have to swallow it all before I listen to my conscience telling me to stop. So I'd like to try this focusing thing, if you could explain more?

Posted 2008-02-10 10:00 AM (#103206 - in reply to #102749)

"Meditation on Chocolate" - that could probably be a best selling DVD.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-10 1:11 PM (#103207 - in reply to #103206)

Thanks. I am working on that DVD now. I also got commision from the Chocolate factory. Which one? I am no going to diplay that.

aystam - 2008-02-10 10:00 AM

"Meditation on Chocolate" - that could probably be a best selling DVD.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)