YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Practicing while sick or ill?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

brian48026
Posted 2008-02-07 1:07 PM (#103024)
Subject: Practicing while sick or ill?

So on Sunday night I must have caught some sort of bug that's been going around town here. Sever head cold = very congested sinus, sore throat, headache, etc.

I've been skipping practice all week mainly due to the fact that I could barely breathe through my nose, but today I'm pretty heavily medicated and for the first time in 4 days can actually take some good air in through my nose.

Should I go practice at my studio today? For some reason I'm thinking todays Bikram class would help me sweat this nastiness out.

Thoughts?

Edited by brian48026 2008-02-07 1:07 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-07 1:10 PM (#103026 - in reply to #103024)
Subject: RE: Practicing while sick or ill?

Sorry you have the crud. In this instance, I can only harken back to the advice of our wise authentic yogi Beloved Brother Neel and advise: "Take rest."

And if heavily medicated, no danged way should you be in a Bikram studio--who knows what complications could result from the synergy of meds, weakened immune system, and the heat could cause--I sure don't.

Posted 2008-02-07 1:14 PM (#103027 - in reply to #103024)
Subject: RE: Practicing while sick or i

not to mention the possibility of passing it on to others.

i would stay home and rest too.

in fact, when i'm sick, that's what i do.
jonnie
Posted 2008-02-07 1:14 PM (#103028 - in reply to #103024)

Yes, I agree.

Rest until you feel better.

Jonathon
brian48026
Posted 2008-02-07 1:25 PM (#103032 - in reply to #103024)

Actually, the "heavily medicated" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I took some NyQuill last night and some DayQuill today....to me, who takes virtually no medicine unless absolutely mandatory, that is "heavily" medicated. lol.

I just miss practicing, and doing it at home just isn't the same.

Thanks for the feedback...maybe I'll just rest up on the couch and watch LOST tonight!

Edited by brian48026 2008-02-07 1:26 PM

Posted 2008-02-07 2:33 PM (#103042 - in reply to #103024)

some restorative stuff at home can be nice depending how sick you are, even if it's not your usual thing.
hnia
Posted 2008-02-07 2:48 PM (#103044 - in reply to #103032)

I practice when I'm sick and it usually helps me.

I was sick with a cold and I did not skip practice. I wish I could say that practice helped me but this time the cold was pretty bad. 90% of the time I still practice, but this last time I began to question it....

I think there's a point where you are not a threat to anyone else and your fever and symptoms are going away when you should start to practice again.

Posted 2008-02-07 3:23 PM (#103050 - in reply to #103024)

Dammit ZB--there you go being all yogic and thinking of others--now I feel bad 'cause I didn't. You need to come to a higher plane and think of ME next time you impart wisdom.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-07 4:13 PM (#103059 - in reply to #103026)

From what I can see clearly, you need at least 2 to 3 weeks rest, without medication and with very little eating. In any case, whether well or not, you should not practice in heated room. And, fresh air you are getting now is used to drive the medication you have taken. So, doing exercise will only make you feel good for a while and then make you take more rest later.

Bruce - 2008-02-07 1:10 PM

Sorry you have the crud. In this instance, I can only harken back to the advice of our wise authentic yogi Beloved Brother Neel and advise: "Take rest."

And if heavily medicated, no danged way should you be in a Bikram studio--who knows what complications could result from the synergy of meds, weakened immune system, and the heat could cause--I sure don't.

AKBrooker1
Posted 2008-02-07 4:22 PM (#103062 - in reply to #103024)

Although my practice helps me if I'm injured or slightly ill, I usually draw the line if I'm likely to be in close proximity to others or I'm on medication--especially anything used to dull pain receptors. My exception to this is the time I caught a nasty cold while on a yoga training in Costa Rica and I didn't feel I had the time to give to recovering with rest. Funny thing was that the only time I felt fairly normal was the two times a day I was practicing.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-07 5:10 PM (#103065 - in reply to #103062)

Exactly. There is a difference between Feeling Well and Being Well. Generally, when one is well, one feels well too. But, when one feels well, one may not be well. For example, when I take a strong cup of coffee, I feel well, in fact better than before drinking it, but that does not make me well at all.

AKBrooker1 - 2008-02-07 4:22 PM

Although my practice helps me if I'm injured or slightly ill, I usually draw the line if I'm likely to be in close proximity to others or I'm on medication--especially anything used to dull pain receptors. My exception to this is the time I caught a nasty cold while on a yoga training in Costa Rica and I didn't feel I had the time to give to recovering with rest. Funny thing was that the only time I felt fairly normal was the two times a day I was practicing.

Posted 2008-02-08 1:08 PM (#103134 - in reply to #103024)

bruce: sorry about that!

to be honest, when i'm sick i do not practice much more than meditation. it's good to meditate anyway, and it doesn't require great physical exertion. when unwell, the body needs rest.

in fact, even when well, the body needs adequate rest, just as it needs adequate movement and nutrients. rest is a form of nourishment!

there are times that yoga postures can support the process of getting well--and these are typically restorative postures that can alleviate some of the pains of being ill. for example, when i was very ill back in law school (crazy sick for 2 weeks), i couldn't do much, but because i was mostly reclining and sleeping, i had soreness in my hips, shoulders, back--just from too much reclining.

so, i got out some props and did some back bends, forward bends, hip openers--all on the floor, all gently and slowly, and only for a short time, and that alleviate the pain and felt very good so it made resting easier.

and then i got much better and i lived to tell the tale. (and, i didn't pass it on to anyone else).

Butterfly71
Posted 2008-02-08 5:02 PM (#103149 - in reply to #103024)

I love yoga and also got a sinus congestion/bad period at the same time. I wanted to still practice but then remembered that by listening to my body I was doing yoga. I did breathing exercises and reiki on myself. Now I am ready to go again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)