YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AN Industry of Cool
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

larabear
Posted 2008-02-07 10:02 PM (#103084)
Subject: AN Industry of Cool

I need to be very careful with what I'm about to say because I don't want to offend anyone.

Maybe less is more.
DOes anyone ever get sick of what a "scene" yoga has become. I know this will sound harsh but if I hear the names Shiva Ray, Seane Corn, Baron Bapptiste etc shoved down my throat anymore by Yoga Journal or ANYONE I think I'll puke.
It just seems like it's all become so... marketable.
A typical yoga experience for most people these days has become, rolling into class in a $200 LuLu lemon yoga outfit, paying $17 for a class in some upscale neighborhood, then unrolling your $50 yoga mat to do some Type A personality kick butt power class then off to sip some wheat grass juice or worst go to Starbucks for a soy decaf Latte.

I mean the only thing that the masters would wear is ashes and maybe they may of had a sheep skin to practice on, but asana came only after awakening at 4 am to do japa meditation, and Paranayam to the inner tune of Om namah Sivyah, and then after doing some purifying Kriyas they may do an asana or 2 before the long Sadu pilgrimage.

In the Guru Kula system, a student at the age of 7-12 would join an ashram and live and breathe all aspects of yoga for 9 years before even considering themselves to be any sort of a teacher.

I guess Sometimes I feel like there is ALOT of EGO and a feeling of ownership with yoga.
THe teahcers who sent students to spread yoga to the West I think would be a bit disapointed wth the way, just as everything else in this country, it has been comercialized, *******ized.

THere is this whole Scene here instead of a warm and friendly welcoming feeling that you should get from yoga there is an air of excessive competitiveness.

I recently read an article about Yoga in Hong Kong. I guess a couple of Americans brought it over there as of recently in a new and improved marketable form. It is much like I described before only the teachers are told not to mention anything too spiritual or have any dieties on the studios. Most who attend are business women and men, THey are highly comitted going to up to as much as 5 times a day to class!These studios are 30 class room, high rises and always filled. Scary.
ANy thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
larabear
Posted 2008-02-07 10:38 PM (#103085 - in reply to #103084)
Subject: RE: AN Industry of Cool

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cd_eTupTCbI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4oIXAUCOZ10

HEre is what I am talking about! THis is YOGA.

Posted 2008-02-08 1:30 AM (#103087 - in reply to #103084)

This nature you point out Lara, it is exactly why we need more teachers with heart and less with 18 hours of training. It is up to us to put the yoga back in yoga. As my teacher wrote in his last book "yoga is everywhere. And nowhere at all."

But that can change. And while it will not change such that we are covering ourselves with ash, living in caves, or doing 8 hours practice, it can still evolve in a mindful way that ultimately will serve to help students discover their purpose.

Posted 2008-02-08 7:51 AM (#103097 - in reply to #103084)

Well Yogini Bear, I had the exact same reaction when flipping through the latest Yoga Journal--especially the article about the up & coming teachers under 40--I noticed those selected were all associated with Yoga Journal in some way or another...where was our bretheren (sisteren?) from here? Where are those folks who teach at shelters for abused kids?

But I do have to take a little offense so you don't abuse my girl Seane She's my make-believe yoga girlfriend--shhhh, don't tell her it's a secret.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 7:53 AM (#103096 - in reply to #103084)

Dear Larabear: In response to your post, I am going to give you three pointers to think about. May be that shall put you in the right direction:

1. The first video clip of respectabale Shree Krishnamachar that you gave as an example of real yoga - This video is shown in a place where the respected Guruji is provided a very comfortable living by the King of Mysore in and around his palace. The Yoga Shala is built and paid for by the King and Guruji has to spread Yoga there without worrying about Rent/Food/ETC. The same is NOT true about other Yoga Teachers that you indicate in the USA or HongKong.

2. The Yogis who came or were sent by their Gurus to the West for Spreading Yoga are definitely NOT disappointed. Because, a) they themselves came with financial motive in mind. Look at the life of all Yogis including the God Realized masters and you shall find that their actions and words exactly point to the fact that they have taken a financial side from USA to India. In fact, that was part of their work. And, in my own opinion that should be. b) They already knew that West is lacking in Spirituality and that is why they should be introduced to it. So, what you wrote about magazines and spread of business is nothing new, that is the inherent property of the West. And, that is why they are financially better of (of course, additional fact is that they have gotten lot of riches by murdering the natives and looting other countries, including India). Now what they need is NOT GIVE UP THE FINANCIAL SIDE, BUT ADD SPIRITUALITY.

3. In the Shrimad Bhagavadgita: Krishna says that a Yogi does not become Sanyasin just by giving up

fire rites (duties of householders) or by giving up activity.

In the similar way, just by not using good quality mat or by using an old quality deer skin, one does not become great Yogi.

Great Yogi is in the Mind of that particular person. A real great yogi is not too much concerned with outside appearance, but what is happening inside.

To make this point clear: Compare Yoga in the West 20 years ago. And, compare now, with all beauty displays, competition, money launarying, expensive mats, water bottles, tv shows, etc.

You shall still find that the today's situation is STILL BETTER THAN THE PAST, as far as the West is concerned. What you are doing is Comparing Apples with Oranges. That is

Today's American Yoga Studio with Mysore Palace Yoga Shala.

That would not work my sister. I apologize if there was any offense from my side. I only wanted you to feel at peace. That is NOT puke.

OM ShantiH.

Now, I am adding a little bit more due to BBB's post. About any magazine promoting their own people, I used to think like that 10 years ago. But, I came to know 'everything is fair in war (war - magazine!!!) and love (love as mentioned by BBB!!!)'. Every business that is an organization who wants to make income is going to do that. So, we should ignore that part and not be jealous of those who are progressing. But, just focus on what we can do. May be we can start our own magazine. I know another place which started such a magazine, and they could not compete, and I saw that after a few editions, they themselves copied YJ ideas of giving a beautyqueen's picture on the cover, etc. Hurray.

larabear - 2008-02-07 10:02 PM

I need to be very careful with what I'm about to say because I don't want to offend anyone.

Edited by kulkarnn 2008-02-08 7:58 AM
shalamOM
Posted 2008-02-08 9:00 AM (#103101 - in reply to #103084)

This is the reason why I quit teaching yoga. It wasn't that people didn't like me as an instructor. It was that I always felt the pressure to be the 'cool' type of instructor. Many of the instructors around here were cheerleaders in highschool. I am the complete opposite of this kind of person and mindset. I do yoga at home now and don't really even enjoy going to class. I always wanted to find that great teacher who would inspire me and truly teach me, but I never did. So now I am content with my introspective practice which feel real to me and genuine. I am happy to have found yoga again.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-02-08 9:26 AM (#103102 - in reply to #103084)

Hi Larabear, I enjoy your writing. Haha, watch out or one of those glossy mags are going to snap you up for there writing staff.
tourist
Posted 2008-02-08 10:08 AM (#103108 - in reply to #103102)

Expert Yogi

Larabear - I finally had to give up buying YJ. There just isn't anything in it for me anymore. And it does not reflect my experience of yoga at all. I teach in a small town/suburb with students who are, for the most part, middle aged or over, non-athletic and much happier to attend a potluck at the studio than go to the trendy coffee places after class. I think they would be intimidated and uncomfortable if the lovely and I'm sure delightful Seane C. turned up one day to teach their class.

I don't watch Survivor on TV. I have said I will watch it when they start holding the event in a sub-Arctic zone where the players have to wear clothing to survive. I will buy YJ again when the cover reflects the face and body of yoga as I know it - my 76 year old teacher, her 89 year old guru, a class full of regular folk doing their best in a standing pose.

Shalamom - I am glad you found some peace in your practice again. Maybe you will teach again some day when the time is right.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 10:32 AM (#103114 - in reply to #103101)

Dear ShalamOM:
Thus you agree that:

a) Initially you needed a class or some such, to get into Yoga.
b) You had to actually teach to get to know what kind of 'cool' teachers are respected. That is the kind you will not like to be.
c) ETC.

Every 'cool' thing has its own place in Yoga.

Neel cool-karni

shalamOM - 2008-02-08 9:00 AM

This is the reason why I quit teaching yoga. It wasn't that people didn't like me as an instructor. It was that I always felt the pressure to be the 'cool' type of instructor. Many of the instructors around here were cheerleaders in highschool. I am the complete opposite of this kind of person and mindset. I do yoga at home now and don't really even enjoy going to class. I always wanted to find that great teacher who would inspire me and truly teach me, but I never did. So now I am content with my introspective practice which feel real to me and genuine. I am happy to have found yoga again.

Posted 2008-02-08 10:40 AM (#103116 - in reply to #103084)

take what works for you, and don't worry about the rest. Doesn't work for everything, but I think it's really appropriate for yoga.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-02-08 10:44 AM (#103117 - in reply to #103116)

aystam - 2008-02-08 10:40 AM take what works for you, and don't worry about the rest. Doesn't work for everything, but I think it's really appropriate for yoga.

Actually, I do think it works for everything. That's exactly how you make Yoga everything in your life... and everything in your life Yoga.

Posted 2008-02-08 11:22 AM (#103120 - in reply to #103084)

i'm gonna go all over the place. i apologize.

first, shalomOm: i am so happy to read a post where you are happy and not bitter. i prayed for you so much! there may be a time when you teach again, and you do not feel this pressure. or, you may never teach again and that is right and proper too.

second, the pressure that shalomOM talks about is very real. I think that many people feel it--and i know that i do too. The key is to not let it get to you at all. And for me, the key to this has been to "fast" from those things that create this situation for me. this is why i do not read Yoga Journal. I found that it created a situation that fashion magazines create in me--one of competition and feeling less-than-worthy or not-good-enough to do whatever i'm doing.

but when i take a step back from all of this, then i do feel very good about what i'm doing and i'm very happy. When my mind is clear of the pressure and emotional clutter, then i feel very good about myself and what i do. I do not worry at all about what other teachers are doing and whether or not they are famous or what have you.

third, i agree with what cyndi said a great deal. a lot of yogis came to the west to bring the wealth of their country to ours, and take the wealth of our country to theirs. You can have both, and Amma is a good example of this.

with this, we do need to make income as teachers if we are not making income in other ways. what income is required often seems to me to be a matter of the individual. I think it's a spiritual thing for people--no matter what their income.

that is, i think some people "need" more income because it assures them of their spiritual place, and some people "need" less income because it assures them of their spiritual place, and everyone's materiality is different based on their needs and perspectives.

for example, bikram is very successful commanding zillions of dollars per year. he has a fancy car collection (among other things). Amma is also commanding zillions of donation dollars per year, and yet has no car collection, and yet has many schools (technical, medical, etc), hospitals, ashrams and what not in india. she, herself, is poor, but she still commands a great deal of wealth.

i am not saying that bikram is less spiritual than amma. i am saying that they both require--for their spiritual fulfillment in this lifetime--zillions of dollars. and how they spend those zillions is also an aspect of what they need spiritually. Bikram needs a something that is his alone; Amma needs a something that is hers yet not-hers.

and then there's me. i do not command zillions. i do not know if i want to command zillions, because it begs a lot of spiritual questions for me. this is not bad or good, it just is. and if/when i know what to do with zillions--for my own spiritual fulfillment--i believe that zillions will come.

if zillions are coming to another, or if another is seeking expensive yoga clothes, etc, then this is because of whatever their spiritual need is in that moment.

this also fits in with what Cyndi said--and Jesus said it too BTW. essentially, wearing sack-cloth and ashes doesn't make one pious, anymore than wearing fancy clothes makes one unpious.

and some people it's right to come in inexpensive clothes--for whatever reason--because this is an extension of their spirit. but some people "put on" these things to try and demonstrate piety--and that is false. for some people, it's right to come in expensive clothes, but some people "put on" these things to demonstrate piety or whatever else and that is false too.

but either way, yoga is a "come as you are" experience. it is ok to come "false" to yoga. you are accepted for being human AND divine--at least that is my perspective.

i see my students strive to be these or that to "fit in"--particularly early on. but after a few classes, they start to "be themselves" and all of the sudden, the world opens up really wide, and they're present.

and they might still have their expensive or inexpensive mat, or their expensive or inexpensive clothes, and they may attend my class for $17 or they may go to the Y for $2 or whatever else.

but they are *there* and that's what counts.
larabear
Posted 2008-02-08 12:27 PM (#103127 - in reply to #103084)

I suppose the time I felt it the most is when I came back from India.
I was really culture shocked. I felt so free in India at first I felt captive and was very upset when my spoiled American ass wouldn't get to where I thought I needed to be by a particular time because the train was late, or wouldn't come at all.
BUt WHen I started to really take in India is when I started to really appreciate the wonderful oppportunities life kept presenting to me all around= I would of never met some pretty special people that through my struggle I made deep connections with. I never would of stopped to talk to a child- etc some of the moments that I hold as my most sacred would of been robbed of me. But this is just one example of how life there is different the biggest difference is how EVERY single thing you do from morning to night holds spiritual meaning and is imbued with ritual and sacredness- I realize that India has all of its corruptions too and in no way mean to romantacize it- but coming back to such a hard world where the mighty dollar is at the forefront of everything we do- instead of Siva/God, INCULDING yoga- was a lot for me to digest.
I feel VERY offended in some ways- ANd talking to a lot of Indians and Yogis in India- so do they.
It's like if I were to open a church and charge everyone who came in $17 to eat bread and drink wine, and call that all of CHristianity.
ALl of yoga is certainly NOT Yoga- A more accurate term for a "yoga teacher" in this country should be a "asana teacher"

ANyway- I myself teach "asana" and I'm not saying we chshould all live in caves or not practice at all. I agree with Purna that it is better to bring the message/gift of yoga forth than not at all. But I think that we need a reality check. I recently have been watching Mommy and Me videos to compare notes and to improve my class. ANd one thing that I notice is that a lot of the "yoga Mommy and me videos all the teachers are just so full of ego and themselves- where the excercise Mommy and Me videos the people are down to earth and a lot more user friendly. Clearly there are going to be people in all fields who are either more competitive and or more down to Earth and open,
BUt you would like to think that "yoga instructors" should strive towards the latter.Bruce- Right ON! I saw that too- about the under 40 - I haven't picked up a yJ for over 2 years- and I saw it the other day) The teachers that are in the Vinyassa styles are the ones getting the most Press-
One wonders if this Rajistic style- in and of itself builds ego. THe more Satvic styles like Kundalini or Sivananda, etc you hear less about perhaps because there is no desire there to have fame and Glory.

I agree that it is downright intimidating to a lot of people what yoga has become.

I guess I have to wonder why does it bother me, I'm suprised Purna hasn't asked me this!
In this country where we are constantly assulted on all ends to buy buy buy- (ads are everywhere- in the summer they are even in the skies via blimps/airplanes!)- I guess I feel as though YOga should be a sancuary from that-
I know for a fact that a lot of teachers curtail their classes to be less spiritual in fear of scaring anyone off- but when we start to do that too much then it dillutes it to the point where it is a different beast all together.
I know, Zoe that we need to surrvive- but I don't agree with what Bikram or Baron Baptiste is doing- you can not in good conscience patent a 3,000 year old art. It is the opposite of what spreading yoga is meant to do. Spread it!
You cannot in good conscience hoard that kind of money and call youself a yoga anything!
Karma Yoga is part of Yoga- it is being selfless- Tapas(austerities) is a big part of being a yogi.
It is one thing if you are a householder that needs to support a family, but very different if you have a gagillion dollars worth of stuff. COme on!
Amma is one of my guru's and I wouldn't say she's more spiritual- Because it's not about that- but she is a Guru and a saint.

Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-08 12:40 PM (#103129 - in reply to #103120)

Expert Yogi

I'm going to chime in here and say this.

This is part of the terrain of yoga in the western world and it is up to us "Western" Yogi's to deal with it. This is our culture. Like my Nepalis MIL told me, there is no way that we are ever going to learn the Hindu culture in this life time (at least the majority of us and even the ones who dilegently make 150% effort, god knows I have). So, we have to work with what we've got. These people that are setting up the yoga industry are just going through the process too. Ignorance comes in many forms. Since we are dealing with Yoga....the 2-edge sword that we discuss about here quite frequently, will eventually "Cut" the viel of ignorance that prevails. It's a PROCESS. Yoga is a process. Think about it. Think about who we are as Americans and how our culture is structured. Then, ask yourself, where do you want to take Yoga, how should we represent it to fit into this culture to make it work without ripping our lives apart??...God knows I've had mine shredded apart at times, all in the name of yoga!! I was one of the lucky ones who found the balance, some don't and even for me that is a daily process in action and is a lot of work and challenge, to say the least!! Then there is the fact that most Americans don't want to be Hindu's. How do you make that work and blend together???

I hear ya and been there with those thoughts. Now you have a lot of work to do to figure it all out and how you can make a difference in this crazy world. It's not about changing anyone or anything....trust me. It's about living the example and being the change you want the world to be...Ghandhi says.

Take care and best of luck to ALL of us,

Ciao

Posted 2008-02-08 12:59 PM (#103133 - in reply to #103084)

i wonder how that yoga elite of Shiva Rea, Seane Corn, Baron Baptiste, etc... feel about their positions in this newfound yoga culture.
probably they got where they were by having a strong, devoted sadhana, and anything else was secondary. when they got started, there wasn't a field to rise to the top of. if anything, people probably put them there. do you think there practice is any less intense now?
i certainly see the potential in myself to rise to the top of my field, but that is a distraction more than anything else. the essence is that intense practice. my success will be irregardless of fame or fortune.

we don't live in India, and don't have the benefit of thousands of years of established yogic culture. so we have to blaze our own trails. naturally, the forces of capitalism are going to be at play, but blaming those for our own malaise is little more than a cop-out (says me).
does buying into popular culture and being happy make someone less of a yogi than being bitter and sarcastic? it's not like we will start practicing yoga, and immediately drop all the trappings of our former life. it's a pity that yoga is mostly markteted to those who have a lot of disposable income, but should we grudge them that? is their sadhana less authentic than our own?
i don't think the answer is so clear cut
blech, yoga journal sucks anyways.

Posted 2008-02-08 1:16 PM (#103135 - in reply to #103120)

As far as I'm concerned, if you are upset about how others do or market yoga, you've missed the whole point of doing yoga in the first place. For me, yoga is health and self-discovery. It is very intimate and personal. What other people do or say has nothing to do with that. Whether people run around naked covered with dung and ashes or make lots of money selling empty promises and spend it wildly is part of their lives not mine as I do neither. Although I agree that YJ is a cheesy magazine, I comment on that by not purchasing it. I also don't buy Hustler magazine.

You cannot be at peace with yourself as long as you are at war with the world. The world that you are at war with is you, you own projections. The external "world" is not separate from you. The world that you experience (although the external world also has an independent existence) is a result of your projections and your selective perceptions, based on your culture, beliefs and your subjective interpretations of your experiences. You are also a member of that "world". Society is YOUR relationship with others.

It is more productive to actually experience what is happening right here, right now, than to project our own positive or negative values on others and then critique, condemn and compare them. (You are actually critiquing, condemning and comparing yourself!) It does not matter what others do, as you can not control them and to accept them as they are is to accept what actually IS, not some idealized fantasy. It does matter what I do.

Posted 2008-02-08 1:26 PM (#103138 - in reply to #103084)

culture shock is an interesting situation.

i've traveled to many places in the world--developed and developing--and returning to the US is always a deeply challenging experience. but, i have also learned to value what we have here--it's not all bad. it's good to be critical of it, and to be critical of other cultures too, but it's also important to really reflect on these "conflicts."

when i travel, i bring home things to bring into my life that i liked about that other culture. it's just for me, usually, though i invite my friends to join me. Cyndi recently returned from Italy, and you can see how being there impacted her, how it changed her american experience as well. she's changed by it, adapted.

but she also isn't claiming to be italian (or hindu/nepali either, even though she lives very closely with that culture). she is claiming to be cyndi, influenced and learning from those cultures. working with what she knows, growning and developing out of it.

this is also what has happened with me.

now, we can talk about money and spirituality a great deal, but i will point out that many churches do bring in a great deal of money. they may be non-profit organizations, but everyone who works there gets paid (and often quite well, some as much as high-level executive, some are millionaires themselves), and a lot of services and information are dissimiated through these organizations. Simply because these people make money, does that mean that these individuals are somehow not christian, or spiritually bankrupt.

even in the tradition of yoga, it is noted that not everyone can be a sunnyasin. if evevryone became a sunnyasin, no one would be able to take care of the sunnyasins. they need support--and that's what cyndi brought up.

and beyond that, we need support, financially. i do need to earn enough of a living to house, feed, and clothe myself (and my child to be born). i do give freely and practice my spiritual principles, but i also have to pay rent for facilities, pay for my education, and pay to live.

in a traditional society, or ina church, the participants willingly donate and then the workers get paid accordingly. that is how it works.

and this is how it works and it's not much different. it really isn't. the conflict about this is really within you.

And, i will assert that while many westerners are asana teachers and perhaps not yoga teachers, i cannot discern the difference and rarely look. i can be critical of baptiste or bikram or whatever. i can question their motives--but i do not know their hearts, and the money alone isn't an indication of their spiritual development (or, in one sense, it is, in regard to their relationship to materiality or Maya-devi if you will).

but for me, it's a personal issue. I consider myself a yoga teacher, not just an asana teacher. i teach asana, but i also teach yoga. i teach it based on my study, practice, understanding, perspective--as a westerner who diligently practices. i live these principles as best as i know how.

and sure, you or anyone could criticize me for any number of reasons--my home, my clothes, my car, my travel plans, how much i charge for private lessons, or whatever else. but in the end, you don't really know what is in my heart, and what drives me to teach, and what that experience is for me, spiritually speaking.

(i love Amma too, that's why i brought her up.)
larabear
Posted 2008-02-08 5:04 PM (#103150 - in reply to #103084)

Yeah, also I think that in my life I've had maybe three of these times where I get really fed up with the whole image of yoga thing- it's disturbing to me at times more than others, but I forget that these times that it happens to me is for a purpose-

to remind me of what I believe in and what my classes should be like, and for what I need to practice. I have this love hate relationship with doing too much vigorous yoga- or any asana practice too much- I go through these phases- it's usually when my asana practice is very strong- like right now- I guess it just is my own reaction that is getting me to step back and realize that I need to go deeper into the other realms. I used to meditate every morning and still do but not as much. My Pranayam practice is still very strong I do Kapalabhati and Analoma Valoma at the begining of my asana practice. I probably chant like every other week or so- But still I crave a deeper connection and then when I get that- I have this uncontrollable desire to teach more.

Thankyou all for your input. I'm still relatively young- I'm 28 and have been teaching for only about 6 years, studying for 9. So I think you're right I am kinfd of figuring out what it all means to me. ANd I'm sure those of you who have been here longer, even though you may have had your own periods of contempt for the evil YJ , you too probably need the reminder sometimes.
ANyway,
Thanks again for allowing me to process this , again.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 6:00 PM (#103152 - in reply to #103135)

Fantastic. I bow down to this post. Thank you thank you thank you.

jimg - 2008-02-08 1:16 PM

As far as I'm concerned, if you are upset about how others do or market yoga, you've missed the whole point of doing yoga in the first place. For me, yoga is health and self-discovery. It is very intimate and personal. What other people do or say has nothing to do with that. Whether people run around naked covered with dung and ashes or make lots of money selling empty promises and spend it wildly is part of their lives not mine as I do neither. Although I agree that YJ is a cheesy magazine, I comment on that by not purchasing it. I also don't buy Hustler magazine.

You cannot be at peace with yourself as long as you are at war with the world. The world that you are at war with is you, you own projections. The external "world" is not separate from you. The world that you experience (although the external world also has an independent existence) is a result of your projections and your selective perceptions, based on your culture, beliefs and your subjective interpretations of your experiences. You are also a member of that "world". Society is YOUR relationship with others.

It is more productive to actually experience what is happening right here, right now, than to project our own positive or negative values on others and then critique, condemn and compare them. (You are actually critiquing, condemning and comparing yourself!) It does not matter what others do, as you can not control them and to accept them as they are is to accept what actually IS, not some idealized fantasy. It does matter what I do.
tourist
Posted 2008-02-08 6:32 PM (#103153 - in reply to #103152)

Expert Yogi

I love that we have such a good place to have this discussion! My theory about issues like this is that as long as we are thinking about them and debating them and talking to each other, we are probably going to be ok in the long run. It shows that we are not living "an unexamined life" as it were.
asananow
Posted 2008-02-08 6:41 PM (#103154 - in reply to #103135)

You cannot be at peace with yourself as long as you are at war with the world. The world that you are at war with is you, you own projections. The external "world" is not separate from you. The world that you experience (although the external world also has an independent existence) is a result of your projections and your selective perceptions, based on your culture, beliefs and your subjective interpretations of your experiences. You are also a member of that "world". Society is YOUR relationship with others. It is more productive to actually experience what is happening right here, right now, than to project our own positive or negative values on others and then critique, condemn and compare them.

Thanks Jim for saying this.  I don't have any way of knowing if the person in the trendy clothes and the expensive car has any more or any less 'true' yoga intention than the humble, saintly guru who runs an ashram.  Both stereotypes get put on a pedestal sometimes and get a bad rap sometimes. 

The real question for Larabear and for any of us, is what brings up such aversion and emotion when we think we know how it SHOULD be.  Lessons of non-attachment I think...      

larabear
Posted 2008-02-09 12:49 PM (#103163 - in reply to #103138)

zoebird - 2008-02-08 1:26 PM

now, we can talk about money and spirituality a great deal, but i will point out that many churches do bring in a great deal of money. they may be non-profit organizations, but everyone who works there gets paid (and often quite well, some as much as high-level executive, some are millionaires themselves), and a lot of services and information are dissimiated through these organizations. Simply because these people make money, does that mean that these individuals are somehow not christian, or spiritually bankrupt..)

I agree with you on a lot of issues, however you can't possibly be trying to justify it by looking at what the catholic church does in terms of corruption and hippocracy!
larabear
Posted 2008-02-09 12:56 PM (#103165 - in reply to #103163)

also right on!! It IS about being able to have a dialouge about it!!!
Essentially no one should get angry or upset by what I wrote- I think it is a good reminder- for me DEFINATELY- no doubt- OF course it is areflection on my own flaws,
but certainly these discussions as you point out are surely the way to keeping eyes wide open in trying to spread this beautiful gift that has inspired us all- as true as we can while paying respect to it's original entirety (is that a word?)

I think as yoga teachers we all have probably done a 300-500 hour training of some sort, gone to workshops etc. But I think we need to go deeper if we are not- and realize that we as western "teachers"have barely scratched the surface of what there is to learn. I think all of you will agree that each time we practice a little deeper or go to a workshop etc
Our own practice and our classes that we teach get better and better.
anuj
Posted 2008-02-10 9:51 AM (#103203 - in reply to #103084)

Its a good discussion
its always been a question that yoga is for self or for making money.
But in present age yoga is somthing more. this is your self discovery and art of living, You have to sail urself , if you look more after material then you will spoiling the aim of your journy.
To fulfil the needs of life is necessary. but it shold not be the sole aim.
We have to go high, then we will have to think above money along with fullfiling your natural needs of life

OM................
Anuj

Posted 2008-02-11 11:24 AM (#103234 - in reply to #103084)

well, i can criticise any number of organizations for being human (and thereby in error or corrupt) but also look at the good that that same organization does.

i can move away from or transcend that which doesn't work, and i can still be inspired by and embrace what does.

for example, the local catholic child services supports hundreds of local orphans and families in need, without depending upon the state. similarly, mother theresa (and her organization the missionaries of charity) feed, educate, clothe, house, and provide medical care for the poorest of the poor aroudn the world.

i could be upset that there is corruption in the church, or i could say that there is good and learn from that, and let the corruption take care of itself (that is, not ignoring or denying it, but not also being so upset by it that i'm up in arms over it).

and of course, there are times to be "up in arms" or there wouldn't be a warrior class.

Edited by zoebird 2008-02-11 11:26 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)