YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Toxin release?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shanbrandt
Posted 2008-02-09 12:54 PM (#103164)
Subject: Toxin release?

Today I taught what I thought was a fairly easy class to some beginning practitioners. The focus of the class was "letting go", so we practiced in a mildly warm room (80 degrees), and did a lot of twists and detoxing asanas after building up a fair amount of heat. (a modified version of suryanamaskar A 3 times on each side was about the speed they could handle and got them nice and warm). I ended up the practice with some seated forward bends etc... and some light backbending. This was intense for the participants, but very do-able. Anyway, I just saw a student from the class who told me that when she got home she felt shaky and vomited. She was drinking water throughout the practice, and I advised everyone to drink fluids throughout the day to help flush the toxins out. This student is very out of shape and has not exercised regularly in years. My question is this: has anyone ever heard of someone reacting this violently from toxin release?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-02-09 9:37 PM (#103188 - in reply to #103164)
Subject: RE: Toxin release?

Expert Yogi

No - I'd say the class was just too much for that student and s/he probably drank too much and/or ate too much too soon before or after the class.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-09 11:02 PM (#103190 - in reply to #103164)

Agreed to Tourist.

And, you are not responsible for that student's whole past. You are teaching a group class and not giving a private consultation. And, also drinking water whole day does NOT flush Toxins.

Actually, toxins in the Body Can NEVER be flushed like flushing to poopy in the bowl of toilet.

Posted 2008-02-10 3:06 AM (#103196 - in reply to #103164)

There really isn't enough empirical data to draw much of a conclusion about the student's reaction.

He or she may simply have the flu.
He or she may have eaten at Taco Time 30 minutes before practice.
He or she may be 50 years old or 20 as you do not say.

It is highly unlikely that the persons reaction is from "toxins" based on what is shared.

shanbrandt
Posted 2008-02-10 8:27 AM (#103200 - in reply to #103164)

Thanks much for your replies! I suspect it may have just been too much for this particular student.....
anuj
Posted 2008-02-10 9:59 AM (#103205 - in reply to #103200)

there is not any thing to worry.
I think work out was little hard for beginners.
i would suggest that end your class with relaxing techniques like shavashana , Om chanting,and Sahaj pranyama

Om..........
Anuj
shanbrandt
Posted 2008-02-10 8:38 PM (#103211 - in reply to #103164)

Thanks Anuj-

I do end all of my classes with savasana, brief meditation and Om. (I start my classes with some form of pranyama) I think I just need to continue to stress to the students that they come to rest in Balasana if they lose track of their breath, or if they would just like to rest. I have often found that one of the most challenging aspects of yoga is finding your edge and knowing how to play with that edge, but not pushing too far past it..... I think this is difficult enough for seasoned practitioners, and very difficult for those new to yoga-especially those who are just learning body awareness.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)