YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about auditions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

phreerose
Posted 2008-02-11 3:05 PM (#103249)
Subject: Tell me about auditions

I recently became certified and started looking for teaching jobs. It seems like most studios require you to audition.

Can anybody tell me what to expect, how to prepare, tips??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shalamOM
Posted 2008-02-11 3:28 PM (#103253 - in reply to #103249)
Subject: RE: Tell me about auditions

Auditions can be tough. I had to go through some and it felt like the instructors who were giving the auditions deliberately wanted to be intimidating. They seemed to like the feeling of their superior position. I found out from both studios where I worked, after going through their audition, that others got through based on who they knew without even having to go through an audition. It seemed terribly unfair.

Later, after some time, I was asked to hold some auditions and I flatly refused. I think they make the yogis feel like they are performers and most true yogis are more real than that.

Posted 2008-02-11 3:51 PM (#103254 - in reply to #103249)

I don't see anything wrong with auditions, I know the studio I go to auditions at least some teachers and as a student I'm glad they do. Now doing the intimidation thing just seems wrong, and if the teacher is already known to people I don't see a point in doing it just to do it. But wanting to see firsthand how someone unknown teaches makes perfect sense to me.

I think it is important to be yourself. I know my teacher told me when he auditioned was told he should be more a certain way - basically more like the teacher doing the auditioning. But he was still hired. And the thing is, the teacher that hired him, I don't like her style or classes and don't go to them - and wouldn't be going to his classes either if he had listened.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-02-11 5:42 PM (#103259 - in reply to #103249)

I was just asked to audition like this, just the other week, at a studio where I've been practicing for almost a year. The teacher knew I was a teacher but wanted to get a sense of my style. So after the practice the other day, I taught a mini-class to the teacher and whoever else wanted to stay. It was supposed to be a half hour, but ended going to almost 45 minutes, including savasana, which I guess wasn't really all that bad.

The teacher ended up liking my style, so now I'm on her sub list at the studio. So maybe it is about who you know, after all, in that you have to put in the face time at a studio, so that the teacher really gets to know who you are. Talent and skill are only part of the picture. I wasn't even looking to teach there, I just love the studio and so that's why I attend so many classes there. The fit just has to be right, from all angles, I guess.

OrangeMat
Posted 2008-02-11 5:51 PM (#103260 - in reply to #103249)

phreerose - 2008-02-11 3:05 PM Can anybody tell me what to expect, how to prepare, tips??

Oh, I just realized I didn't address your specific questions, sorry.

As to what to expect, I would first attend a couple classes at the studio, so you'd know the approximate style of the place. Maybe even talk to some of the other students after attending class, to get their feedback on what they like about the place. Pretty much common sense stuff, but still.

As for how to prepare, I would just do what I always do when preparing for the unknown: just be me, to the my best and happiest abilities. Authenticity and open-heartedness, can't ever go wrong there.

Good luck!

Posted 2008-02-11 6:42 PM (#103263 - in reply to #103249)

the bottom line of any hiring practice is to help the studio find teachers who are a "good fit" for the studio. A good fit is a person who have a similar perspective and mission for teaching yoga as the studio, as well as having a similar "style" or method of teaching.

I have been involved in hiring practices in a variety of venues (studios, gyms, etc), and the process changes depending upon the venue and it's interests. In cases where studios required an audition, it's typically done after interviewing to determine personality etc. there are cases, though, were a teacher needn't audition--and this is when i already know the teacher well, and can determine whether or not their style will 'gel' with the group in question.

It is important to note that i'm never asking anyone to "prove" themselves to me, but instead I just want to know who they are and whether or not they're a good fit. Some people are and some people aren't.

In order to prepare for an interview, it's a good idea to sit down and think about your personal mission statement and ways to describe your style of teaching. when auditioning it's best to just be yourself and think about that classroom "belonging" to you--you are the authority there, you're not there to prove anything. If you just show up as your authentic self, and be yourself through the whole class, you'll either be a fit or not.

one of the things that causes many teachers to not do well at auditions is displaying insecurity by either A. feeling intimidated and nervous of the process or B. asserting a "need" to prove oneself by being "over eager."

i have "rejected" applicants for a job (a single job may get as many as 10-12 applicants here) for these reasons, because it demonstrates that they are not ready to see themselves as true peers to the other teachers there. I feel that it's important for the teacher to feel that s/he is confident in his/her teaching, and to demonstrate this through the interview and the teaching itself. this confidence creates a good environment for teachers and students--creating an egalitarian circumstance.

of course, rejecting someone for a job isn't the end of the world. some people i ask to join a sub list, while others i suggest for other positions and ask them to apply for those instead--ones that may be better suited to their personality or style or even their emotional need (where that teacher can be the primary authority in that situation with no need to feel insecure for any reason).

so, in the end, it all works out. the main thing is to be yourself and give your best.

Posted 2008-02-12 2:37 AM (#103286 - in reply to #103249)

As is evidenced by both the posts in this thread and the actual process, auditions are a bit odd. I wanted to use a better word than odd but the only one I could conjure up was "perverse" and that word tends to mean very specific things to some. So I'm going with "odd".

To me it is perfectly reasonable to sniff out the right teachers for a particular venue. What is odd is the method in which the sniffing is executed. For example, in what mindful ways are the interview questions prepared? What are they designed to reveal and in what ways are they designed to provide the interviewee a chance to show their inner workings? Is the criteria an established, documented one or is it an ethereal "theme" everyone just sort of knows?

Then there's the audition. Which is of course important as long as those doing the assessing are checking their egos at the door and are sincerely there to participate in yoga. Otherwise their energy detracts and they are, with or without realizing it, part of the problem not part of the solution.

For that reason I don't find the mini audition or the "faux" audition to be a very authentic evaluatory tool of the teachers ability. If you want to audition a teacher have them teach a real class and get off your ass and take the class.

Personally, I teach around town. If you really want to know about my teaching style then show some interest and come to class. Otherwise have me teach a class on the schedule and I'll gladly share yoga with anyone actually interested in partaking.

If one is not already prepared I'm not sure there's a way to prepare. I just do what I do. I'm not the right fit for anyone and I would not want to teach at a studio that made applicants jump through hoops when they were already decided about their hires.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-12 8:22 AM (#103290 - in reply to #103249)

1. The audition is needed (or expected by some studios) as they are going to employ you, later pay you and also make more money using your class as one offering in their studio. And, there is nothing wrong in that if they are doing Yoga for Income. That is what an Individual Yoga Teacher shall do too.

2. Audition only means that you teach a class as an example of your class and it is evaluated by the one who decides whether you get the job or not. So, of course, the criteria will be their own.

3. When I opened my school in 1998 and went in public for teaching and expect income from it ( I taught free for 20 years before that and i never thought I shall ever make any income from yoga as I already had good degrees in Engineering and other fields.), I was asked give some auditions. And, I never had any bad experience. In fact, the person who evaluated me told me that I was far better than what they expected, but they shall pay me only what their standard rate is.

4. In the past several years, no one has asked for audition from me, including a very corporate level famous sports club which is a country wide one.

5. If you are concerned, just ask the employer what the auditions shall contain, what their criteria are, etc. If the criteria are beyond your will, do not give audition.

Sorry to say this: But, in the Audition, the employer is supposed to evaluate you, and NOT you evaluate the employer!

Best Luck.

phreerose - 2008-02-11 3:05 PM

I recently became certified and started looking for teaching jobs. It seems like most studios require you to audition.

Can anybody tell me what to expect, how to prepare, tips??

Posted 2008-02-12 10:55 AM (#103296 - in reply to #103249)

purna:

i should add that, like you, when i have to audition i typically invite the hiring person to come to my class, or to watch my video or listen to one of my audio recordings (if they are too far away to come to class). likewise, when auditioning someone, i ask if they have classes around town that i could possibly take, as this would be more efficient for both of us (at least, the way i see it).

and, it should also be noted that in an audition situation, i always take the class. i ask that anyone coming to the class with me also take the class. i feel that you get the best feel for the class by doing so.

---

neel:

while i agree that the employer is evaluating you, i also feel that when i'm interviewing, i'm evaluating the employer as well.

i was interviewed last June at a place, then he came to a class of mine near-by, and then interviewed a second time. at the second interview, i realized that this employer and I would not be a "good fit" due to a number of reasons. Even though he wanted to hire me (and continues to want to hire me), i just do not feel that it would be a good place for me to work.

so, part of the interviewing process is determining whether you are a good fit for them. I often recommend that if you're applying for a job at a studio that you take classes there, talk to the teachers who work there about the work environment, and then see if it's a good fit. and if it is, then accept the job offer (if given) and if not, then it's ok to move on.

there are a lot of studios that i really like around here, but i would not work for them for any number of reasons. and it's ok to be that way. there are plenty of teachers in this area who ARE a good fit for those places.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-12 11:28 AM (#103299 - in reply to #103296)

Dear ZB: I completely agree. However, when the audition is given/taken (? - tourist help), the purpose of the audition is to evaluate the Teaching. If the employee wants to evaluate the employer, an employee can asks for such a process. Most likely that shall not work. But, of couse, employee is evaluating certain things. But, that is not the purpose of the audition.

zoebird - 2008-02-12 10:55 AM
neel:

while i agree that the employer is evaluating you, i also feel that when i'm interviewing, i'm evaluating the employer as well.

i was interviewed last June at a place, then he came to a class of mine near-by, and then interviewed a second time. at the second interview, i realized that this employer and I would not be a "good fit" due to a number of reasons. Even though he wanted to hire me (and continues to want to hire me), i just do not feel that it would be a good place for me to work.

so, part of the interviewing process is determining whether you are a good fit for them. I often recommend that if you're applying for a job at a studio that you take classes there, talk to the teachers who work there about the work environment, and then see if it's a good fit. and if it is, then accept the job offer (if given) and if not, then it's ok to move on.

there are a lot of studios that i really like around here, but i would not work for them for any number of reasons. and it's ok to be that way. there are plenty of teachers in this area who ARE a good fit for those places.

Posted 2008-02-12 12:05 PM (#103303 - in reply to #103249)

right, specifically speaking, the audition is for the benefit of the employer to evaluate the employee.

in my hiring processes, i ask the employee to learn about us by attending classes there, talking with other teachers about their experience (working there, etc), and by asking questions of the employer in the interview--questions about the employer's point of view, focus or emphasis at the studio, etc.

but of course, i go through a rather "windy" process according to the places that i've helped with this. First, i put out an advertisement calling for resumes. When a resume is submitted, i mail/email to that person information about the studio and the basic contract and invite them to come to a class before the interview.

i then follow up with an interview in which i ask about the teachers experience, mission, process, etc. i then ask them to talk to me about their thoughts about the contract, mission statement, and their experience in classes. i ask them about their honest opinions, whether or not they think they'd be a good fit and why, and how they are similar to and different from the studio and it's mission (nothing wrong with diversity, afterall!).

then, i schedule a time for the audition--either by finding out their schedule and taking a class as soon as possible, or by setting up an audition to which i invite teachers and students to participate. the class audition lasts as long as the teacher likes, though i prefer if it lasts the duration of a normal class (eg, if a normal class is 1 hr, then 1 hr. if a normal class is 1.5 hrs, then 1.5 hrs).

i then ask all participants to evaluate the experience (without the teacher's presence--on paper), and if i am taking the teacher's class, i'll talk to the students aobut the teacher and their experience with him/her.

and from there, make the hiring decision. it can be tough, though, in a crunch. one place where i worked had a huge issue of having a number of teachers leave for a given reason, and needing those places "filled immediately." so the interview process was severely stunted--what would normally take me a month or so, had to be done within two weeks, and so i could take fewer applications, could do fewer interviews, and often had to skip the auditions and hope fo rthe best.

sometimes with good results, sometimes with not so good results.
Kym
Posted 2008-02-12 1:25 PM (#103313 - in reply to #103249)

I was asked to teach a class full of people. I taught the class of the person who was doing the hiring. She listened to me, but did not particiate. I prepared by planning a class and dealing wtih the nervousness!

If you can, a good way to go about it is to take classes at the studio, if you're going for a studio, and get to know the teachers and owner. That seems to help.

Edited by Kym 2008-02-12 1:33 PM
shalamOM
Posted 2008-02-13 10:24 AM (#103385 - in reply to #103286)

purnayoga - 2008-02-12 2:37 AM

Then there's the audition. Which is of course important as long as those doing the assessing are checking their egos at the door and are sincerely there to participate in yoga. Otherwise their energy detracts and they are, with or without realizing it, part of the problem not part of the solution.

Exactly. I too easily pick up and absorb others' energy. I have to say that I got that feeling from almost every audition that I went to, that they were 'enjoying' their position of power a little too much. After getting hired at one of the studios (even though I felt that I bombed the audition) I started teaching and many students wrote comment cards to the management saying that they liked me. I was quickly treated like an equal by the other instructors, but I never quite warmed up to them. They made a bad first impression from the start. One of the instructors even acted like she wanted to make it up to me because she had underestimated me so much.

For that reason I don't find the mini audition or the "faux" audition to be a very authentic evaluatory tool of the teachers ability. If you want to audition a teacher have them teach a real class and get off your ass and take the class.

Yes, I found that it is much more natural to teach a regular class. Auditioning well is a separate skill from teaching a class and maybe that should be focused on during teacher training since it does seem to be a necessary evil. It probably helps if an instructor has a dance background and has done 'auditions' before.

Edited by shalamOM 2008-02-13 10:28 AM

Posted 2008-02-13 10:49 AM (#103388 - in reply to #103249)

could it be the word "audition" that causes some form of offense?

for me, it is no issue at all. i don't see this as a really big problem, nor as a form of "performance" so much as a normal process of getting to view someone's skill.

my husband said that in the case of jobs that he looks for, they ask for writing samples and often give him an editing test for him to complete in a set amount of time and send back. this is in addition to the resume and usually a phone interview before moving on to face-to-face interviews.

he doesn't see these things as "performances" but they are necessary in order to demonstrate his ability and get people to hire him for work.

yoga doesn't often have these documentations from the individual teachers, but i still feel that it requires some form of demonstration just as a writing sample or editing test are demonstrations. A video, an audio recording of a class, or an actual class taught live would be the only methods that we can consider to really "get to know" a teacher's style.

i don't think that this requires any more "skill" than simply teaching a class. I've auditioned for studios holding 30 minute sessions. I simply make a complete class in 30 minutes, doing everything that i normally do to give a taste.

perhaps it is because i am so comfortable with teaching and confident in my ability that i have no concern about these things. When i was less comfortable and confident, i still would willingly audition, because i knew that it was an opportunity to succeed, even if the individual didn't hire me (and sometimes, they didn't).

perhaps it just has to do with one's own perspective.
larabear
Posted 2008-02-16 10:17 PM (#103602 - in reply to #103249)

Kulkarn:
1. I like the dramatic "bullets"
2. To answer the origianl question I would have to say that
a.Definately be yourself
b. That doesn't mean don't plan, that means get a class ready that is you, but that is also in the vibe of the studio you are auditioning for. It's like putting on a pair of leotard leapord print pants - under your "lulu-prana-rama-wanna-wear-a"
and
3. If it is a show- then treat it like one-
4. DO some chanting and meditating the morning of your auditioin- much like an actor or singer excercises the voice before a show.- excercise and clear your mind.
5.Don't get swept up in the feeling of being judged and watched.
6. Focus on the students
7. Visualize that with every thingyou are putting out you are helping the, and focius on that - helping them, connect, shower them energetically with attention and love- essentially a good teacher/studio owner is looking for someone who, yes will make money, but who will be a good teacher, and a good teacher is someone who shows care for the students.

That's all I got.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)