YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm so hungry!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

hnia
Posted 2008-02-12 2:39 PM (#103327)
Subject: I'm so hungry!

It seems like I have to starve myself to lose weight!

I'm doing primary everyday, I'm swimming or running a couple of times a week too.

Anyone else around 40 and noticing that you have to eat less and less to lose weight?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-02-12 7:42 PM (#103349 - in reply to #103327)
Subject: RE: I'm so hungry!

I've noticed that as I've gotten further into my 40s, as well as further into yoga, I haven't been as bothered by my weight gain.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-12 10:44 PM (#103354 - in reply to #103327)

Yes. In general, as you pass 40, your amount of food should reduce.

hnia - 2008-02-12 2:39 PM

It seems like I have to starve myself to lose weight!

I'm doing primary everyday, I'm swimming or running a couple of times a week too.

Anyone else around 40 and noticing that you have to eat less and less to lose weight?

lewellen17
Posted 2008-02-13 12:05 AM (#103358 - in reply to #103327)

Definitely!

I gained 3 kilos since starting a proper mysore practice last October. I have been eating like a hog, convincing myself that I need the extra calories to keep up with the practice. Then last week I had a weird bug and lost 2 of those kilos, and, bizarrely, my practice has become noticeably easier. So, I'm paring back my diet a bit and making sure I only eat when I'm actually hungry.

First time I've noticed a slowing metabolism (I'm approaching 39).

lisa

Posted 2008-02-13 12:50 AM (#103360 - in reply to #103327)

do you need to lose weight?
i prefer to find weight in the winter...
tourist
Posted 2008-02-13 10:21 AM (#103384 - in reply to #103360)

Expert Yogi

The more you "diet" to lose weight, the fewer calories you must take in to lose weight again. Don't be hungry. Eat well, practice well and breathe and be happy.
hnia
Posted 2008-02-13 12:23 PM (#103400 - in reply to #103384)

I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that I can't eat everything I want anymore...
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-02-13 12:46 PM (#103403 - in reply to #103400)

My grandmother used to say that if you only ate foods you didn't really like, you'd never get fat. My grandmother wasn't a very happy person. She was, however, thin.

I like tourist's answer, especially the last part.

anuj
Posted 2008-02-16 6:02 AM (#103566 - in reply to #103327)

Eat healthy food. and regular yoga or whatever u feel to do.
Your weight become normal as it need to be ,
Om...
Anuj
lewellen17
Posted 2008-02-18 6:03 PM (#103665 - in reply to #103403)

Oh my! I can't imagine going through life without really enjoying food!

hnia
Posted 2008-02-19 1:30 PM (#103720 - in reply to #103327)

I'm basically trying to cut back on the amount of food i'm eating.

I figure that the less I put in the better.

I eat healthy but you can eat too much health food too.
Seeker101
Posted 2008-02-19 2:26 PM (#103730 - in reply to #103327)

Veteran

I am 48 and in early menopause (defined as menopause before 50) so I can really relate to the issue of having ones metabolism shift and slow down. I have been practicing yoga for only about 2 years and the level of overall strength that I have gained is amazing.....but yoga does not really work as a "weight loss" regime. But I agree with the other people who posted. As I get more into yoga, I care more about my body (how it feels, moves and supports me) in general and much less about how my body looks specifically (how thin I am). But we all like to look fit! so the only really solid way to lose weight, especially as we age, is to increase our calorie output and/or decrease our calorie input.

Namaste!
Argeroth
Posted 2008-02-29 3:32 PM (#104155 - in reply to #103327)

At 28 I find myself just beginning to shift my focus into making Ashtanga a regular part of my life.  That being said I have spent some time looking at the consept of spiritual developement and diet.  I do consider the journy of Ashtanga a spiritual one.

I've recently read through a book called 'The Genotype Diet', it theorizes that each of us fit into one of 6 Body types.  Each body type has an optimal diet.  There are certain foods each should have.. also ones that certain types shoudln't.  Its possible that as we age we become more sensible to our genotype.  If we practice Ashtanga on a consistant basis.. we are infusing our bodies with an energy that is transformative in nature.  Our hunger could be the result of our bodies craving certain things we are not getting.  We may thing that we simply need to eat more.. when in a sense we just need to eat differently.

Another one of my callings I resonate hightly is Reiki.. any of you that are curious.. just WIKI it... as I do not want to become side tracked from my point... My Theory is... as our bodies obsorb more of what they need from an etheric source... we require less food stuffs to maintain ourselves because of what we are getting from the etheric sources.  There is further evidence of this from those who practice Sungazing.  There are people who claim to require no food at all, having obsorved enough energy from the sun to sustain them.  I do not vouche for the credibility of these individuals... but I do feel that it offers some food for thought...   

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)