YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OMG
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2008-02-20 9:50 AM (#103759 - in reply to #103747)
Subject: RE: OMG

Expert Yogi

Yep, when the money isn't there, it just really isn't there! Though you would be surprised at the type of people who moan that their classes cost too much - people living a much richer lifestyle than their teachers often... Do check for free classes, bursaries etc. They do exist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hnia
Posted 2008-02-20 10:32 AM (#103763 - in reply to #103745)

You could always raid the local library for tapes, dvds, books etc.

Also public access tv. Lilias Folan is on at 6:30 every morning around here. You might find her program on your public tv station. You could do worst, she is great.

Thanks for your post. It got me thinking.

Posted 2008-02-20 11:27 AM (#103771 - in reply to #103439)

Shameless plug for we community college yoga teachers: Don't forget about your local schools -- high school, community college, major unis. I get flyers all the time advertising nearly free yoga classes (among lots of others).

And, I for one (hope the administration doesn't see this), offer classes at school as my "guest" to select folks who would benefit and have little other means to attend. Of course they don't get credit but they do get to practice with a great group of folk and an extraordinary teacher.

Posted 2008-02-20 11:49 AM (#103776 - in reply to #103439)

it's true. there are many people who can't afford yoga at normal prices at most studios, etc.

but, that doesn't mean that there aren't opportunities available for people to learn yoga for less money or for no money. call the studio/teacher and ask. they may say "no" but they may also say "yes."

----

and in regards to "value" some classes are worth the $12-20 that one might pay, and some are not. i find it's really roullette as far as that goes. sometimes, it is a waste to spend that money on someone who isn't skilled or capable or what have you. and sometimes, it's the best money ever spent and i'd gladly pay hundreds more for the same amount of time.

so, the value of the class, and how much value we place on receiving teaching, are also related.

yoga needn't cost money to be valuable; a class needn't be expensive to be a "good" or "valuable" class; and ultimately, what are we willing to exchange for whatever value we receive?

i did work study for years. All of my teacher training was "free"--via work study. my classes were free via work study. because i work at a studio as a teacher, i get classes for "free" as a benefit for the work that i do there (in addition to getting paid).

when i did this, i gave a lot, but i always felt that i received far more than i gave.

Edited by zoebird 2008-02-20 11:53 AM
fechter03
Posted 2008-02-21 12:41 AM (#103812 - in reply to #103439)

Extreme Veteran

those prices seem to be typical of most places..i pay around $15-$20 for drop ins (i'm too lazy to get the monthly passes, its also more expensive as i can't go to more than one class per week).

also, depending on where you are with your physical practice and how much personal instruction/adjustments you need, there are online sites that offer classes..i know of two sites, one free and the other for around $15/month.

i think you should continue to take classes but move gradually to a home practice with periodical drop in classes. this way you save money in the long run. personal growth happens in a personal practice (at least for me). i've actually never experienced a "breakthrough" in a lead class.
SharonL
Posted 2008-02-22 5:15 PM (#103917 - in reply to #103439)

Wow, thanx everyone for the suggestions. I sometimes think I have to get past the guilt of spending time and money on myself and yoga instead of on the kids.

Sharon
tourist
Posted 2008-02-22 6:23 PM (#103918 - in reply to #103917)

Expert Yogi

Sharon - as a wise person once asked, "Did you ever think that doing yoga might make you a better mother?" We have to replenish ourselves or we will have nothing left to give our children. If the oxygen mask falls, you put yours on FIRST and then your child's. You don't need to spend their education fund, just a few bucks here and there to keep yourself healthy and sane.

Posted 2008-02-23 3:14 PM (#103930 - in reply to #103439)

sharon:

you're not alone; a lot of mom's feel this way. it's one of the things that i understand about my yoga 'Business' is that if the kids need something, and at certain times of the year there is a particular demand by the kids by no fault of their own (like school starting and needing supplies), then the money goes there first and to parents last.

that's normal--so don't worry about it too much. if it is excessive--if you're giving to them to the detriment of yourself, then that's worth looking at, and it fits right in with what tourist is talking about.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)