YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga for psychiatric disorders
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tyates
Posted 2008-02-13 9:19 PM (#103445)
Subject: Yoga for psychiatric disorders

I have mild OCD, social anxiety and have also been dealing with alcohol addiction for many years. I've heard from various sources that yoga can be helping in dealing with some forms of psychiatric disorders and addiction. There was a book that I flipped through that discussed how Kundalini yoga can be helpful in deailing with these problems.

The spiritual aspect of yoga is what interests me. I've been to support groups and such but I'd like to explore more of the inner thought patterns that may be leading to my problems.

I have no experience with yoga but am seriously thinking about getting into it. The various types of yoga confuses me. Can someone suggest some other forms of Yoga that I might want to look into as a starting point? I'm trying minimize the resources and time of just trying out various styles of yoga to find one that will suit me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-13 9:27 PM (#103446 - in reply to #103445)
Subject: RE: Yoga for psychiatric disorders

Unfortunately tyates there are no shortcuts that I know of especially with what you're dealing with. I could cheer you on by saying, "You bet--kundalini is for you!" but truth is, I don't know what makes you tick or what will float you emotional boat.

From just reading about your OCD and social anxiety, I would recommend a Bikram class--the style will keep you focused and not ask you to learn on your own--plus it'll kick your a$$ and instill some discipline--in a good way. But don't see it or any other yoga as an instant fix especially by just attending a few public classes. Good luck, vaya con Dios and namaste.

tourist
Posted 2008-02-14 10:15 AM (#103467 - in reply to #103445)
Subject: RE: Yoga for psychiatric disor

Expert Yogi

Hi - yoga can be very helpful with these disorders, though of course, it cannot "cure". I suggest you do as Bruce said and find a style that keeps your mind occupied as you learn and practice. That helps reduce the obsessive thought patterns. I feel that Iyengar yoga works well for people since it has lots of detail and OCD folks tend to like that - I admit a bias as I am an Iyengar teacher:-) Search this forum as I know we have had discussions about this previously. I would strongly recommend that you NOT pursue kundalini on your own and if you decide this is the style for you, find a well qualified, well respected teacher and perhaps work one on one. Don't mess around with breathing and chakra stuff on your own. Seriously.

Hope you find a class that is right for you - come back and tell us about it!
tyates
Posted 2008-02-14 8:47 PM (#103507 - in reply to #103467)

Thanks. Ill look into Bikram and Iyengar. Actually, there is a Bikram yoga studio somewhat close to my place that I looked into. Rates are a bit steep though. Regarding Kundalini, there are a few teachers that I found in my metro area from a Kundalini website (can't remember the name of the site).

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.

Posted 2008-02-14 9:28 PM (#103511 - in reply to #103507)

Yoga ain't cheap that's for sure. However, many give student/military discounts or will discount for trade--especially Bikram places--there's showers needing cleaning and laundry to be done. It's not demeaning rather just a fair way to bring yoga to folks who can't/won't pay full price.

Also, many places have sales to get new clientele--like in the summer when people are out doing other things. AND most places have very cheap intro sessions maybe up to a week to see how you like it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)