YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HOW DO YOU PRACTICE?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jmcdan3
Posted 2008-02-17 6:54 PM (#103632)
Subject: HOW DO YOU PRACTICE?

Hello all! Ive been doing Yoga for about two months now and I usually follow Rodney Yee's Power practice. I have been thinking about taking elements from Power yoga and other practices and incorporating them into my own 45 minute routine. I am very active as I am a 23 year old male. I like Power bc it is difficult but I dont think Im ready for the primary ashtanga series. What are some good poses to get ready for Ashtanga? Im looking for new poses to create a custom routine bc Rodney Yee's power is somewhat vague.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ohmseven
Posted 2008-02-21 8:40 PM (#103879 - in reply to #103632)
Subject: RE: HOW DO YOU PRACTICE?

there are some good articles on this very website for starting your own practice. As for preparation for primary, perhaps just follow the sequence but leaveout theposes you can't do. (I am fairly new to home practice as well and have recentlystarted ashtanga "short forms")

Others who practice ashtanga: do you think its better just to attempt the primary sequence in class or practice at home with a modified series until i build more flxibility/endurance?
lewellen17
Posted 2008-02-21 9:40 PM (#103881 - in reply to #103632)
Subject: RE: HOW DO YOU PRACTICE?

I practise ashtanga, and am much more of a traditionalist about it now than I used to be.

Establishing an ashtanga practice is a well-defined, progressive, sequential process. The poses are all done in the same order, every practice. If you can't learn from an experienced ashtanga teacher, and can trust yourself to respect your limits, you can learn from a number of great books on the subject. Gregor Maehle and David Swenson both have great books which outline the primary series (Swenson's covers second series, too). The idea is to move through the series until you come to a pose that you find challenging (and here is where it is most important to have a teacher on hand - making that judgement!). Then, you work on that much of the sequence every day (except moon days and Saturdays), until that pose comes to you; then, you add the next pose. Any chance you could make a mysore class even once a month?

The sequence is designed that the series prepares you for successive poses. For example, the hip opening in standing poses, janu sirsasanas and marichyasanas come before the more intense supta kurmasana.

You don't need any level of expertise to try ashtanga - rank beginners are encouraged to come along to mysore classes - the whole idea is that each student works at his or her level. If you wait until you think you can do all of primary before starting, you may be waiting a very long time indeed!

Ohmseven - my opinion is that you'd be better off finding an ashtanga class rather than doing the short forms. Those are fine if you're short on time, but there are, of course, poses left out; poses which are an important preparation for some of the harder stuff. Have you tried practising as I've outlined above? Don't omit anything, just go through the sequence until you reach a pose which is beyond you.

namaste,

lisa
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)