YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Student Teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

asananow
Posted 2008-02-19 7:33 AM (#103697)
Subject: Student Teaching

As part of my YTT program, I've started student teaching.  This is a really new and sometimes frustrating and mostly rewarding experience. Things I've noticed so far:

It takes a long time to set up a sequence, check that the timing is right, prep poses, counterposes, a good mix of different categories of poses. 

I had my music too loud one time and it threw me off the entire class.  Room was too cold another time and I switched as many poses to active and standing work as I could 'on the fly'. 

Students are very nice and seem genuinely interested however you don't get much direct feedback.  Some questions afterwards. I'm getting better at observing them during class to see which poses are challenging them and for any shallow breathing/straining.

I'm becoming more relaxed and more 'myself', finding my center to be able to scan the room, give modifications, make little jokes.  This improves the experience for me.  I hope it improves the experience for them.  From reading previous posts here, it seems that eventually I can just be a vessel and the teaching will come through, not from, me.  Is that a correct interpretation?

Anyone wish to share their stories of early teaching experiences? Helpful hints?  Thank you in advance!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-19 8:03 AM (#103699 - in reply to #103697)
Subject: RE: Student Teaching

Not much time this morning Jennifer but wanted to say you are learning very quickly and becoming a wise yogini!

Posted 2008-02-19 2:00 PM (#103725 - in reply to #103697)

It would be difficult to make pointed comments as every TT seems to be different. So the student teacher initially grows within the context of the training. What you look for and see, what you listen for and hear are predicated by what you've been taught.

Since I do not use music, and I doubt that other Purna Yoga teachers do, it would not be music which would throw us off. One less thing to manage, as far as I'm concerned. Again though it is within the context of your training so I am not suggesting you abandon music. That is entirely another debate.

When I first started teaching I had eight days of TT in a power vinyasa style. Looking back I am grateful that I did not harm anyone. It was too soon for me to teach and I did not have a full understanding of the practice either intellectually or experientially.

I did not know how to keep students safe. I did not fully know how to modify for different bodies. I did not know what to look at or for beyond challenge, strain, or breath. I did not know the purpose of the practice and I did not know in what way(s) I was directing students.

As a former basketball coach I was acutely aware that finding your own personality, a true personality rather than a performance personality, was critically important.

It is appropriate to consider yourself the tube of yoga. If for no other reason it keeps the Ego at bay. In that way it is never about you and always about the student and opening yourself to the student.

Hints? Master the Yamas, Niyamas, and Kleshas.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-02-19 2:01 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-02-19 7:07 PM (#103743 - in reply to #103697)

Expert Yogi

Jennifer - for a new teacher of ANYTHING, prep time is huge. As any elementary school teacher. Over the years, this gets easier and you have more "arrows" in your "quiver" that you can grab at a moment's notice. Are you teaching a style where you practice along with the class? I am confused about why you couldn't just turn the music down?
asananow
Posted 2008-02-20 7:17 AM (#103753 - in reply to #103697)

Thanks for the responses.  I do practice along with the group and my Teacher Trainer assists with any modifications.  I did try, unsucessfully, a few times to turn the music down but I was unfamiliar with the room and the system.  I was better prepared the next time. 
The style we are learning is simply called hatha yoga, with options given to explore different styles.  Some of our student teaching has been with an experienced group who need less basic instruction but more challenge.  Other classes are beginner and I break the poses down, show them how to get in/out, alignment tips and I revisit those poses with them.  I originally started my practice in the late 80s with an Iyengar teacher, so I like to offer alignment cues to the experienced folks too, just more of subtle adjustments.
Thanks again.    

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-20 7:58 AM (#103756 - in reply to #103697)

Hello Jennifer: Share Story from early teaching. When I taught my first few classes, I explained Yoga and what I was going to show and do, to the extent that: Out of 1 hour of my Yoga Exercise time, I spent upto 50 min explaning for example, what Head Stand is and demonstrate it. AFter that they had 5 min to do it before the class closes.

That is when I went to Toast Master's and I am grateful to them. I mean to Toast Master's.

asananow - 2008-02-19 7:33 AM
Anyone wish to share their stories of early teaching experiences? Helpful hints?  Thank you in advance!

asananow
Posted 2008-02-20 6:58 PM (#103800 - in reply to #103697)

Good story! Toastmasters is a great organization.  I was in speech club in high school.  I think that and the mandatory typing classes are the most valuable information (on a daily basis) I graduated with. 

I am trying not to talk too much in class as it is so tempting to tell them all about the benefits of the pose, etc.  I do have a theme for class (similar to Anusara) so that I try to share something along the theme after savasana.  For instance, the breathe, stress, gratitude, release, etc.

tourist
Posted 2008-02-21 10:18 AM (#103839 - in reply to #103800)

Expert Yogi

For beginners I think it is important to talk quite a lot. They need your voice to keep connecting them back to the pose and keep them working "in the body" instead of "in the head." Of course, you don't want mindless chatter, but giving the benefits is a great thing to do.

Posted 2008-02-21 11:38 AM (#103852 - in reply to #103697)

i agree that talking is good, as long as it is informative, but it also shouldn't be "pervasive" to the point of distraction. i recently took a class with a teacher who was hardly breathing, from what i could tell.

it was like this:

mountainposestandwithyourfeettogetherandliftyourheartdrawtheenergyfromthefloor-
tothetopofyourheadandthenfeelyourselfextendashighasyoucandnowbreatheandbreathe-
andbreatheandfeelthatreachnowreachoveryourheadashighasyoucanandfeeltheextension-
ofthearmsbutrelaxtheshouldersdownthebackliftingtheheartandfeelyourselfmovingand-
nowfoldforwardintoforwardbendbringinghandstothefloor....

for an hour and a half. and there was music. it was way too much talking.

i'm not saying you're doing too much or too little, and much of the talking did seem like mindless chatter, as if the teahcer was trying to distract himself.

very odd.

Posted 2008-02-21 12:10 PM (#103855 - in reply to #103852)

When I take a class, I don't like it when the teacher tells me what to feel, think or experience. I prefer it when they tell me what to do. I can manage the feeling, thinking (or not thinking) and experiencing on my own.

Many teachers have a memorized (or quasi-memorized) set of cues that they always give. That is what you get on a DVD. If you are taking a live class with a live teacher, I think that the cues given should relate to what is going on in the class and be what the individuals in that class need at that moment.

The real art in teaching is to teach each person individually within the context of keeping the energy and flow of the entire room together as one.
asananow
Posted 2008-02-21 6:37 PM (#103874 - in reply to #103855)

The real art in teaching is to teach each person individually within the context of keeping the energy and flow of the entire room together as one.

I think this is so true.  And the challenging part!   

Posted 2008-02-21 9:43 PM (#103882 - in reply to #103697)

On topic I think from our new buddy Metab of Yoga Yoga Austin, Texas:

How To Be A Great Student
an article by Mehtab, Yoga Yoga's Founder

I was teaching a yoga class and the woman in the back of the room was doing yoga. Only it wasn't the type of yoga I was teaching or that the rest of the class was doing.

I watched fascinated as she moved through an elaborate series of seemingly invented postures, oblivious to the rest of the class. She did relax at the end with everyone else, however.

I asked her afterwards what she was doing.

"Oh, I am just listening to my body and doing whatever it tells me to do," she said.
"So why do you want to come to this class?" I ask.
"You're a great teacher," she said. I started to humbly thank her. "So your classes are crowded and I can hide in the back and do my own practice."

As yoga students, we are always looking for a great teacher, someone who can inspire us, teach us, and take us to the next level.
But the search for a great yoga teacher must start within us. We need to become a great student first.

Here are the guidelines to become a great yoga student:

Realize everyone has something to teach you.

Yoga students and sometimes yoga teachers make the mistake in thinking that teaching yoga is about winning a popularity contest. Students compare notes in the studio lobby, "Oh, if you like Teacher A, you will really like Teacher B. I think Teacher C is too easy. Teacher D really works you out. But now I am at the point where I only want to go to classes taught by Teacher Z."

I have seen students even show up to take a class and then walk out when they discover their "favorite" teacher is not there that day. They miss the point. Yoga is not teacher-centric. It is practice-centric.

Every teacher has something to teach you - and often it is not what you think it should be. I remember going to a yoga class years ago with my wife and telling her afterwards: "The teacher drove me crazy with his fake-sounding, super-mellow voice." "Yeah," she said. "He reminded me a lot of you." Enough said.

Respect the teacher within the teacher.

In the yogic tradition for hundreds of years, the teacher was the most respected person in your life - more than your parents or any figure of authority. We do not understand that in the West because we often mistake the role of the teacher with the personality of the teacher. The role of the teacher is someone who shares the teachings. The teachings are the important thing - not the personality of the individual teacher.

When you show respect to a teacher, you show respect for all teachers, for the teachings of yoga, and ultimately for yourself. If you want to rebel and be disrespectful, please park in a no-parking zone, talk back to your boss, or engage in your favorite self-indulgent destructive behavior - but always respect the teacher within the teacher. It is the only way you can learn what yoga is really about.

Understand a teacher is 90% the projection of the student.

Whatever you think about your teacher is almost all about what you think about yourself and has very little to do with the teacher. A teacher is a mirror that reflects the student. This is the only way we can learn about ourselves - through self-reflection. I remember a comment card we got from one student about a teacher: "He doesn't even look like a yogi. He's too fat. He thinks he is better than everybody else, sitting in front of us and making his little jokes." For this person, appearances are everything and any value the teacher could have offered is lost in a projection of a student's own insecurity.

On the other hand, students can have positive projective fantasies about their teachers that are also more about their own needs than about the teachers themselves. I remember one woman going up to a nationally known teacher at the end of a workshop and telling him: "During our last meditation, I opened my eyes and I saw you in the most beautiful and blissful state. Your heart center was really, really open. What were you meditating on?" He replied: "Cheese and macaroni. That is what I am having for supper tonight."

Examine the reactions and thoughts you have about your teacher. They will tell you a lot about your current state of mind, fears, and lessons you need to learn.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

This is an old saying in almost all practices and spiritual traditions. What it means is that you often get the teacher you deserve or, more politely, the teacher you are capable of encountering at the level of your current development. As you advance in your self-understanding, your capacity to recognize and attract the teacher you need to reach the next level also increases. Why should a master teacher waste time with you if you are not willing to master yourself?

Students make the mistake believing that if they can only find an advanced teacher, they will advance. Instead you need to do the work with the teacher right there in front of you. Then you will earn the right to meet your next Teacher.

One simple test is this: Are you ready to meet your teacher when they do arrive to teach you? Are you fully present, sitting in class and ready to learn? Or do you come in after the teacher has arrived and class has begun? We all have an emergency once or twice a year that may cause us to be late to yoga class, but think of the energetic message you are sending by showing up after the teacher has arrived. Who is waiting on whom to appear?

Know that the only purpose of having a teacher outside yourself is to realize the teacher within yourself.

A great student realizes that they are the teacher as well as the student. Ultimately your yoga practice must become self-directed -- but not in the same way as the person who does his or her own poses at the back of the class. Through your yoga practice, you will increase you awareness, awaken your intuition, and learn to trust that guiding spirit that is present in all human beings. This awakening will direct you. Others will continue to teach you, but you will realize that is only through your own self-study, discipline, and surrender to grace that will you understand the purpose of yoga.

When you know that teacher lives within you and within all others, then you will become a great student.

May you have great teachers in your life.
May you teach others by your presence.
May you recognize and honor all teachers.
May you recognize and honor yourself.

Posted 2008-02-22 12:54 PM (#103907 - in reply to #103882)

Bruce,
This is the second (?) article from Mehtab that you have shared and I have enjoyed. Are there others? Where would one find them?
Thanks,
Jim
tourist
Posted 2008-02-22 6:34 PM (#103919 - in reply to #103882)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2008-02-21 6:43 PM
I remember going to a yoga class years ago with my wife and telling her afterwards: "The teacher drove me crazy with his fake-sounding, super-mellow voice."

When I read that, I cheered - I can't stand the fake yoga mellow voice! Then I read this:

"Yeah," she said. "He reminded me a lot of you."

and totally cracked up! sooooo funny...

The teachings are the important thing - not the personality of the individual teacher.
Yes, yes, yes.

Understand a teacher is 90% the projection of the student.Whatever you think about your teacher is almost all about what you think about yourself and has very little to do with the teacher. A teacher is a mirror that reflects the student. This is the only way we can learn about ourselves - through self-reflection. On the other hand, students can have positive projective fantasies about their teachers that are also more about their own needs than about the teachers themselves. I remember one woman going up to a nationally known teacher at the end of a workshop and telling him: "During our last meditation, I opened my eyes and I saw you in the most beautiful and blissful state. Your heart center was really, really open. What were you meditating on?" He replied: "Cheese and macaroni. That is what I am having for supper tonight."

Excellent!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)