YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learning the names of the pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Seeker101
Posted 2008-02-19 11:16 AM (#103707)
Subject: Learning the names of the pose

Veteran

Hello. My hatha yoga teacher says the names of the poses in English (e.g., triangle pose, downward facing dog, etc.). Where is the best place to learn the translations so that I can learn the names of the poses in the traditional language. Any helpful hints out there?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2008-02-19 12:31 PM (#103714 - in reply to #103707)
Subject: RE: Learning the names of the pose

Extreme Veteran

I use Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti DVD alot, and that's how I learned alot of the traditional names of the poses.  She uses both languages for the poses.  Also, try yogajournal.com  Hope that helps!

Samantha

hnia
Posted 2008-02-19 1:48 PM (#103723 - in reply to #103714)

Yes, yoga journal is an excellent source

Sometimes the sanskirt names are different in different styles of yoga.

It can be confusing in the beginning.

I would try to learn a few each week. It can be overwhelming...

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-19 4:21 PM (#103731 - in reply to #103707)

Any helpful hints?

1. English names are the Translations. For knowing Sanskrit names, you should consider yourself a Sanskrit Student. I am not saying you should study Sanskrit for hours. What I am saying is: to know the names of poses in Sanskrit is almost like studying Sanskrit at least on a smaller scale. If you are not interested that way, you will always be at a loss, as different persons can give different Sanskrit names to the same pose and they both shall be correct, if you know the Sanskrit language.

2. In terms of being a great Yoga Student of Yoga Practice, knowing the Sanskrit names does Not add much to the practice or value. Only as a language it shall add.

3. If you are really interested in the Sanskrit part, I shall recommend learning chanting more than names of Poses.

4. You are welcome to learn the names of poses in Sanskrit with me. For names (sake), I give a separate class just for names of poses. I do not teach them in my regular classes or Teacher Training.

Best Luck

Seeker101 - 2008-02-19 11:16 AM

Hello. My hatha yoga teacher says the names of the poses in English (e.g., triangle pose, downward facing dog, etc.). Where is the best place to learn the translations so that I can learn the names of the poses in the traditional language. Any helpful hints out there?
tourist
Posted 2008-02-19 7:00 PM (#103738 - in reply to #103707)
Subject: RE: Learning the names of the

Expert Yogi

seeker - I used a book to develop my early home practice. I would copy the sequence as written in the book then look at the pronunciation key for words I wasn't sure about. My teachers do use Sanskrit but vary in their abilities to convey the language well. Practice saying "triangmukaikapada pascimottanasana" and impress your friends!

Posted 2008-02-19 7:03 PM (#103740 - in reply to #103707)

How odd that my earlier post to this thread has now disappeared.

My response was this:

Is this not the job of your teacher?
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-20 11:09 AM (#103770 - in reply to #103740)

Expert Yogi

Hey Seeker,

Don't worry about....over time you will learn the Sanskrit names, just by hearing them called out. Like Neel says, it's not that important. Learning the Asana is more important. Besides, something will click in your head and you'll figure it all out and you'll probably come up with English names of your own.

Depending on your teacher, you can always ask her to name the asana's in Sanskrit in class. Although, some teachers may not know the names themselves...and its perfectly okay!

Posted 2008-02-20 11:31 AM (#103772 - in reply to #103770)

I agree with Neel and Cyndi that the names of the poses (in English or Sanskrit) are not all that important. Doing the poses safely is important. Your attention to what you are doing is important.

The names are only the menu. The actual poses are the meal.
lilybart
Posted 2008-02-24 12:52 PM (#103947 - in reply to #103707)

It is fun to learn the names of the poses in Sanskrit, though—it's like a new vocabulary.

I also have Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti dvd and that has ingrained the names of some of the poses for me. I've also really enjoyed yogatoday.com — the three teachers tend to use the Sanskrit names. It's kind of neat to realize that you've just "picked up" the name of the pose in Sanskrit by hearing it spoken over time. This is the most natural way to learn a language, anyway. You build your own associations with the word.

Personally I prefer a teacher who will say both the Sanskrit name and the translation because I enjoy learning other languages. Seeker, I imagine you must be of a similar mindset, or else it wouldn't interest you to learn the Sanskrit names.

Edited by lilybart 2008-02-24 12:55 PM
Nick
Posted 2008-02-24 3:46 PM (#103952 - in reply to #103707)

Hi there,
I reckon 'light on yoga' is a good one-I recall it breaks the translation down, so you learn that 'pada' means foot, and hasta means 'hand.' And so forth. Then you can learn how to apply these word combos to a posture, i.e. utthita (intense) Hasta (hand) padangsthasana (foot posture). Or something like that

Nick
imadayana
Posted 2008-02-25 6:25 AM (#103966 - in reply to #103707)

What really frustrated me in the beginning was differentiating between Urdhva, Ardha and Adho .. but now they come more easily
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-24 3:54 PM (#113886 - in reply to #103707)
Subject: Re: Learning the names of the pose

Sanskrit is the language of yoga. Many words within the school of yoga do NOT translate well. Examples: yoga, dharma, karma, yama, niyama, pranayama, pratyahara, dharana, dhyana, samadhi.

Using only the English is sometimes confusing as it is not clear which asana is meant. This can be true even with Sanskrit when different yoga styles are involved, they do not always match.

To be a serious practitioner, you do NOT need to become a yoga scholar. But, to communicate clearly about yoga, and to BEGIN to delve into the understandings of the practice, some familiarity of the basic words does come.

Posted 2009-03-02 7:37 PM (#114090 - in reply to #113886)

Amen

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-02 7:37 PM
BD Cooper
Posted 2009-07-16 12:51 PM (#117023 - in reply to #103707)

Get the book The Language of Yoga.

Or this site-

http://www.americansanskrit.com/
Jennyom
Posted 2010-02-08 9:14 PM (#121355 - in reply to #103707)

As the others said, there are many websites online that can help you with this!
kristi
Posted 2010-02-19 12:55 PM (#121574 - in reply to #121355)

Veteran

What I find really interesting in the learning of Sanskrit terms, is how often you recognize the connection of this ancient language, a root language, to both Latin and Greek.
Like for example “savano” in modern Greek means the sheet with which we bundle the dead, which must certainly have a common root with “savasana”.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)