YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Surya PAIN
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

shantiyogini
Posted 2008-02-24 9:08 PM (#103954)
Subject: Surya PAIN

Hi Everyone
I have been struggling with this for a while: everytime I go into a forward fold, my back feels so insecure . . . I've tried bending my knees, and that doesn't help; I try focusing on lengthening my spine, and that doesn' help .. . . until I get really warmed up, I feel very tight and stiff in the back . . . but weak about halfway down from a sun salute. I teach full time, so this is becoming a major problem for me .I k now my adductors are really weak . . . perhaps that's the issue.
Can anyone offer any suggestions???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-24 9:39 PM (#103955 - in reply to #103954)
Subject: RE: Surya PAIN

The "back" is a somewhat vague reference when it comes to therapeutic questions.
Is it your sacrum? Is there radiating pain? What does "insecure" mean? Is it the lumbar spine?

You mention you teach full time and this is becoming a problem for you. How are the two related?

In what ways are or were you "lengthening" your spine. Is that lengthening in the anterior or posterior spine?

In what ways or to what degrees have you been bending your knees?
Have you tried moving through Utkatasana when going from Urdhva Hastasana to Uttanasana?
That will significantly reduce the torque of the sacrum in forward bending.

If that is not helpful (please tell why) then Ardha Uttanasana with hands at the wall or a better method of opening your practice so that you have internal warmth before Surya Namaskar.

shantiyogini
Posted 2008-02-24 10:34 PM (#103959 - in reply to #103955)

Hi
Thanks for your attention. About teaching, the problem is that I am only just now beginning to gain the confidence not to go through the postures and to lead the students. . . I also teach alot of beginner classes, so they use me as a visual to how they should look. By insecure, I mean, it feels like my back could give out. I have had a problem with my sacrum being "stuck", which cuased tremendous pain, similar to a herniated disc, that was relived after many chiropractic visits. I don't understand the difference between anterior and posterior lengthening that you refer to. I try and draw the crown of the head away from the tail bone . . Yes, definitely lumbar spine. I try bending my knees so that the navel comes tot he thighs, but this is not helpful.....
tourist
Posted 2008-02-25 9:35 AM (#103969 - in reply to #103959)

Expert Yogi

Teaching full time is one thing and doing surya namaskar full time is another thing altogether. You need to look at learning ways to teach that do not involve you practicing along with the class and also need to look at ways to teach without you doing the poses at all for awhile.
shantiyogini
Posted 2008-02-25 10:40 AM (#103976 - in reply to #103954)

Yes. . . exactly . . ..I have to find a way to do this with beginners . . . as they are always looking at me for a visual cue . . . even when I coach them to just listen to my directions . . .and keep the gaze inward . .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)