YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

...back to the mat...intro...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

rgny
Posted 2008-02-26 7:08 AM (#103987)
Subject: ...back to the mat...intro...

so here i am back again. my cyclic relationship with yoga has brought me here in attempt to revitalize my home practice.

yoga has helped me at various times in my life, whether spiritually or physically, but i seem to have a hard time keeping a solid practice schedule. i work in law enforcement and keep strange hours, but try to make time for just mountain pose or a forward fold when things get crazy.

lately i've been waking up early to do between 3 and 12 suryanamaskars before i have to go to work. but now my hours will change next week and i'll have to adapt.

just wanted to de-lurk and say hi.

take care.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
AKBrooker1
Posted 2008-02-26 4:01 PM (#104010 - in reply to #103987)
Subject: RE: ...back to the mat...intro...

Hi rgny, Long before I found yoga I was in law enforcement as well. I wish I had been practicing then--no matter what shift I worked. Finding that moment in our day when we can take the time to breathe and connect is as much part of practicing as any asana we may do.

Most of us probably have jobs, maybe families, undoubtably other activities we enjoy and yet we find time for our practice. And of course that is exactly what it is, a practice. It doesn't have to conform to a sequence or a specific design, it is simply what we can do at that moment. I like to think of it as the perfect cross-trainer to what ever else I do in my life, be it work or play. I hope you are able to continue the exploration of your relationship with yoga.

How is Utica these days? I grew up near there but it has been many years since I have been back.
rgny
Posted 2008-02-26 4:40 PM (#104011 - in reply to #104010)
Subject: RE: ...back to the mat...intro

know what you mean about cross training. whether it was when i was skateboarding, or in teaching full contact stickfighting (Dogbrothers and SCA) for the last 15 years, yoga always comes back into it. whether it's just teaching someone how to breathe or an easy combo for a sore back (child/cobra). my old job was in a maximum security mental hospital on the night shift, and i'd run relaxation breathing for manageable patients that couldn't sleep.

Utica is all right. there was a big peak in violent crime in the late 90's, and then a weird spate of arson in 01-02 against abandoned properties. economically the area is very depressed right now. the air force base moved out. so now, you either work for the state or WalMart. or move. thought about moving a few times, but upstate NY in the fall is one of the most beautiful places i've seen in the world, so....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)