YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

weight gain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-26 7:29 AM (#103988)
Subject: weight gain

hi im new on here, just registered! anyway, ive been doing yoga for about 2 years now, on and off, but my problem was that i was a smoker up until recently. since ive quit, ive increased my yoga work out to several hour sessions a day. ive gained a lot of strength but the problem is that ive noticed the number on the scale increase everyday, the only reason im weighing myself so much is because ive heard that quitting smoking makes you put on weight so i want to make sure i dont. ive been eating really healthy, ive actually even decreased my calories a bit to be safe, but still am seeing this pattern of weight increase. i dont know if its because ive gained muscle, i do feel stronger, or if weight gain after smoking is inevitable. im never going to go back to smoking, i love th way i feel when i dont smoke and get deeper into yoga but this is the only complaint i have right now because i feel like i have no control. ive been smokeless for about 3 weeks now and doing yoga every day for at least an hour, most days i do 2 or 3 hour sessions because they help keep my stress in check. any opinions, suggestions, thoughts, i would really appreciate it. thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-26 7:45 AM (#103989 - in reply to #103988)
Subject: RE: weight gain

Wow! 2 to 3 hours sessions. You are lucky. From what you wrote, you are doing great. And, you should not worry about the weight at all.

Q: If you reduce the sessions to say 30 min only a day, what kind of stress are you experiencing?
zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-26 7:53 AM (#103991 - in reply to #103988)

thanks alot for your response! im not really experiencing stress if i do less, but i do more because i feel like that way im safe from ever wanting to get back into smoking. it makes me excited to feel myself getting deeper into yoga and the more i do the more i tell myself that smoking is never going to be an option for me a day.

Posted 2008-02-26 8:36 AM (#103992 - in reply to #103988)

i would guess that you're gaining muscle which can increase the number on the scale.

congrats on no longer smoking!
zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-26 11:36 AM (#103996 - in reply to #103988)

yea ive heard that too. my clothes fit fine, nothing is tight, but i guess it bugs me to watch the weight go up more everyday. im trying not to focus on it.
zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-26 1:33 PM (#104000 - in reply to #103988)

awesome advice! thanks alot! i think im starting to make myself crazy with my weight and it cant be healthy to worry so much about something as insignificant. im pretty sure im doing everything right so ill do what you said, just base it on how my clothes fit. thanks again!
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-26 2:00 PM (#104002 - in reply to #103991)

Very good then. Make sure that you do not form a formula ' Do less yoga = Start Smoking' in your mind. Do whatever best yoga without injury and enjoy. Later, you must train your mind, not only do exercises.

Best Luck
neel

zenistaga - 2008-02-26 7:53 AM

thanks alot for your response! im not really experiencing stress if i do less, but i do more because i feel like that way im safe from ever wanting to get back into smoking. it makes me excited to feel myself getting deeper into yoga and the more i do the more i tell myself that smoking is never going to be an option for me a day.

Posted 2008-02-26 2:11 PM (#104003 - in reply to #103988)

Studies on Nicotine and body weight have yet to yield one conclusion.
Some assert that there are slight changes in basal metabolic rate as a result of nicotine. Others cite the adrenaline increase that comes along with Nicotine. There's even a study that was looking at the idea that smoking supresses or inhibits eating disorders.

It is possible that a person who quits smoking either returns to a healthy appetite or shifts to a paradigm of eating to cope instead of smoking to cope - as the latter is no longer an option when you quit.

As long as one is pursuing a healthy lifestyle I don't think weight should be a over-arching concern. If "eating healthy" means eating just before bed, consuming starches and empty calories, and living to eat rather than eating to live, then there may be some larger issue to examine.
zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-26 3:38 PM (#104005 - in reply to #104002)

kulkarnn - 2008-02-26 2:00 PM

Very good then. Make sure that you do not form a formula ' Do less yoga = Start Smoking' in your mind. Do whatever best yoga without injury and enjoy. Later, you must train your mind, not only do exercises.

Best Luck
neel

i agree completely. as i started becoming really conscious of the number on the scale i realized that i started trying to find ways to do more yoga which if i hadnt stopped myself from thinking that way would have totally ruined yoga for me. it should be about the mind not trying to lose weight or keep from losing weight. it makes me feel great and i dont ever wanna make it a chore. Purnayoga, i understand what youre saying. alot of the time i catch myself counting calories and making eating very mechanical as well as exercise. it becomes something i have to do which is true, but i should enjoy it too. i would never put anything in my body thats junk so i keep trying to remind myself that as long as im feeding my body the food it needs to stay heallthy i shouldnt be too concerned with weight gain. im just paranoid. thanks for your response.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)