YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Partner Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

biblicalfury
Posted 2008-02-26 3:54 PM (#104008)
Subject: Partner Yoga

I'm curious about everyone's opinions on partner yoga classes.

A studio I goto is having a class this weekend. I think it would be interesting and probably fun. They assured everyone you could come alone, but as a guy without anyone to bring along, I think it might be creepy or awkward.

Are partners classes generally a good experience? Has anyone given one a go by themselves?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-26 3:59 PM (#104009 - in reply to #104008)
Subject: RE: Partner Yoga

We've had several discussion on partner yoga here and many of us have attended or conducted such classes. Hopefully, should you go, the place offering it has the experience to deal with folks not bringing their own partners. That being said, my first parner class I attended was hosted by a rather "big name" yogini and our first posture with a woman I didn't know was groin-to-groin camel. I wasn't ready for that and left. So, really can't advise you without knowing who's teaching the class and your own feelings about it. However, since you kinda suspect it'd be a little weird, I'm thinking you might not be able to relax and get much out of the class
diyyogini
Posted 2008-02-27 10:42 AM (#104043 - in reply to #104008)

If the teacher is saying it's fine to come alone, then it should be just fine. I'm assuming that since they say it's fine to come alone and be paired up when you get there, the class will not be doing too many intimate poses. Different teachers have a different perspective on what are partner poses and what the purpose of partner yoga really is but in general the teachers who teach the intimate poses usually require that you bring a partner because they cater to romantic partners.

Also, just as in any class, you have the right to opt out of any pose. If you're not comfortable doing something, ask the teacher for another option or a modification.

Bruce, I can't believe the first posture was camel, not just because it was a partner class, but in general. I guess warming up the spine first went out the window for the teacher. Eek.
biblicalfury
Posted 2008-02-27 4:20 PM (#104069 - in reply to #104008)

Thanks for the input.

It's a good teacher leading the class, so that doesn't worry me. I guess it's just the general dynamic of a partners class that I'm unsure about. I'll have to think it over.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-02-27 8:56 PM (#104080 - in reply to #104069)

I would suggest contacting the teacher ahead of time if you can and sharing some of your concerns. Only the teacher can really let you know what to expect. But since you indicated it's a good teacher, he/she will be open to giving you options if anything makes you uncomfortable.

Or, if you can find a friend, bring a friend along, that might make it more comfortable. In my partner classes and workshops, I have had partner teams of all sorts including people who were just friends.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)