YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hips,forward bends,lower back
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

zenistaga
Posted 2008-02-29 11:58 AM (#104143)
Subject: hips,forward bends,lower back

good morning all, i have a question for anyone who would like to give feedback because i would really appreciate any adivce i can get. first thing, my legs are incredibly inflexible. its very discouraging, i wanna feel the full extent of the forward bends but i cant seem to be able to bend. with each inhale i extend my spine and with the exhale i bend but every day i seem to be in the same position as the day before, and, some days im even less flexible. i feel like im doing something wrong. any tips? another thing, is my right hip. it doesnt seem to want to open. whenever i do pigeon pose, i can bend into my left hip but not the right one. and one more thing, i have major pains in my lower back when i lie down for savasana. as i lay down this morning, after my practice, i could feel like my lower back was kind of popping into position. with each pop there was ease but the pain didnt completely diminish and i couldnt lie for savasana. i dont know what that is, i do couterposes after back bends, any suggestions? thanks, any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-02-29 12:57 PM (#104145 - in reply to #104143)
Subject: RE: hips,forward bends,lower b

how about talking to your teacher?

honestly, your questions are far too difficult to answer on an online forum. these are questions that i could answer if i could see you, see the movement and alignment (i assume that you're out of alignment, at least in part), and then help you discover modifications and processes that will help you strengthen and thereby create the flexibility needed.

Posted 2008-02-29 1:11 PM (#104146 - in reply to #104143)
Subject: RE: hips,forward bends,lower back

zenistaga - 2008-02-29 8:58 AM

good morning all, i have a question for anyone who would like to give feedback because i would really appreciate any adivce i can get. first thing, my legs are incredibly inflexible. its very discouraging, i wanna feel the full extent of the forward bends but i cant seem to be able to bend. with each inhale i extend my spine and with the exhale i bend but every day i seem to be in the same position as the day before, and, some days im even less flexible. i feel like im doing something wrong. any tips?

jimg===> Becoming more flexible comes slowly. Just be patient and keep at it. If you have a teacher, ask for specific advice. Every day is different so don't compare today with yesterday or a desired tomorrow. The point of asana is to stretch your muscles, not how far you can stretch them. Most importantly, accept what is at this moment and stop judging yourself. Focus on becoming more fully aware right now instead of trying to achieve an imagined result in the future.

another thing, is my right hip. it doesnt seem to want to open. whenever i do pigeon pose, i can bend into my left hip but not the right one.

jimg===>The two sides of our bodies are usually different. One side is often stronger while the other is more flexible. Assuming that you don't have an injury that is causing this difference, do the less flexible side first, then the more flexible side, then repeat the less flexible side again. An important part of asana practice is to balance the two sides of the body as well as finding balance between many other apparent opposites. Talk to your teacher about this as well, showing him/her what is going on.

and one more thing, i have major pains in my lower back when i lie down for savasana. as i lay down this morning, after my practice, i could feel like my lower back was kind of popping into position. with each pop there was ease but the pain didnt completely diminish and i couldnt lie for savasana. i dont know what that is, i do couterposes after back bends, any suggestions? thanks, any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!

jimg===>Try putting something under your knees in savasana to raise them. You may also be doing something wrong in your backbends. Make sure that you are tucking your tailbone in backbends and not hinging at the lower back. Extend your spine in backbends and lift your ribs and chest. Think of them more as front stretches than backbends. Go slowly and breathe deeply. Again, ask your teacher. I can give advice that has been appropriate for my students, but without actually seeing what you are doing, my advice (or probably anyone else's) will be based on someone else, not necessarily on you. Which counterposes do you do after backbends?

Posted 2008-02-29 3:01 PM (#104148 - in reply to #104143)
Subject: RE: hips,forward bends,lower b

Answer of brevity here.

1. More information about you and your practice would be crucial to a direct answer.
I have no idea how you are warming. I have no idea if you are 20 or 40. I have no idea what your definition of counter pose is. I have no idea what sequencing you are using in your practice and so forth.

2. There are, of course, some genetic anatomical ROM limitations which vary from biped to biped. Add muscle adhesions, scar tissue, inflammation, and nutrition/lifestyle and you've got a myriad of reasons for inflexibility.

3. Zoe makes an excellent point. This sort of thing is incredibly difficult to wrestle with over the Internet. It is best to inquire of the person you have chosen as your teacher.
hnia
Posted 2008-02-29 3:24 PM (#104152 - in reply to #104143)
Subject: RE: hips,forward bends,lower back

Downdog is the probably the best way to get there.

Do Surya Namaskara A and B for 1 month, minus moon days, and Saturdays.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)