YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

too old for ashtanga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

hnia
Posted 2008-02-29 3:35 PM (#104157)
Subject: too old for ashtanga

It was a mess!

Just to frame things.. I get into the studio and I noticed a senior citizen (male) that really stands out. He is sitting down, has a waiver, and has never done ashtanga.

I tell him this is a led class that moves very fast and is very vigorous.

A few minutes go by and i say, Samastithi1 Well, he goes to stand up from a seated position and falls down and rolls backwards! One of the other students turn to help him because everyone else is standing up at this point and he is on his back. After someone helps him up I'm thinking this is going to be terrible. I feel terrible, like I'm torturing him.

If I could do it differently I guess I would of grabbed a chair and had him modify the sun salutes. I was overwhelmed and didn't handle things as good as I could have.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sindu
Posted 2008-03-06 3:46 AM (#104459 - in reply to #104157)
Subject: RE: too old for ashtanga

Maybe too old for the power style postures not for ashtanga yoga.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-06 7:47 AM (#104466 - in reply to #104157)

That means you need to learn to handle this situation that is all.

hnia - 2008-02-29 3:35 PM

It was a mess!

Just to frame things.. I get into the studio and I noticed a senior citizen (male) that really stands out. He is sitting down, has a waiver, and has never done ashtanga.

I tell him this is a led class that moves very fast and is very vigorous.

A few minutes go by and i say, Samastithi1 Well, he goes to stand up from a seated position and falls down and rolls backwards! One of the other students turn to help him because everyone else is standing up at this point and he is on his back. After someone helps him up I'm thinking this is going to be terrible. I feel terrible, like I'm torturing him.

If I could do it differently I guess I would of grabbed a chair and had him modify the sun salutes. I was overwhelmed and didn't handle things as good as I could have.

Posted 2008-03-06 8:51 AM (#104469 - in reply to #104157)

yup, like neel said, this is a good opportunity to imagine/think about what you would have done differently so that next time something like this happens you can teach him and everyone else effectively.

i remember a student of mine, louisa, who was 78 when she started practicing yoga. her daughter took my vinyasa classes, and she came to one of them and loved it. she made a promise to herself that she would learn chaturanga in three weeks, and she did! then, she wanted to make sure she got crow pose, and then hand stand, and then head stand. she was so driven--and so much fun!

i had to stop offering classes at the place wherre louisa and her daughter took classes, so they started taking astanga at a near-by studio. Louisa is still going strong; she's now 83.
hnia
Posted 2008-03-06 2:43 PM (#104502 - in reply to #104469)

Great story.

Thanks for reading and responding.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)