YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sick after tree pose?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Athena28
Posted 2008-03-05 8:38 PM (#104445)
Subject: sick after tree pose?

Hi,
I'm a beginner and this may seem like a strange question...
A few weeks ago when we learned tree pose in my basics class the teacher talked about how when we push our heels against our thighs, beneath the groin - we are pressing on lymph nodes and releasing toxins.
That evening - after learning it, I came down with a bad cold/flu that lasted about a week.
Well, yesterday I was doing my practice at home - spent quite awhile in tree pose because I enjoy it so much... and lo and behold, I was hit with another strain of the flu last night.
Today I have a fever and my body is incredibly sore - especially in the area of those lymphs.
Could releasing those toxins be making me sick? Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Thanks,
Athena
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-05 8:47 PM (#104446 - in reply to #104445)
Subject: RE: sick after tree pose?

well, it could just be the clods/flus passing through your home/life. . .

but yes, it is normal when doing forms of energy work to "get sick" and then get better. for example, when you get acupuncture, it's common to feel sick for about 24-48 hours or so, and hten feel great.

since yoga is energy work, it is possible.

Posted 2008-03-05 9:16 PM (#104448 - in reply to #104445)

I don't doubt Zoebird especially with her caveat of it's possible. I'm thinking it's probably coincidence being winter/spring and amplified by a mental connection with the teacher telling you that you're releasing toxins. The body is CONSTANTLY releasing toxins pressing into your thigh or not...and gaining new ones...like I'm doing now sitting in front of this computer screen...ahhhchhhoooo! 

And by the way, welcome to the forums!

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-05 9:45 PM (#104449 - in reply to #104445)

Oh My God!

Q1: Is it possible to know where you are taught that you have to press the lymph nodes during Tree pose? I do not need the name of the teacher. I just want to know the City. And, if possible, if there is any style name associated with your teacher.

Answer to your question: To press one's lymph nodes in groin, one does not need to do Tree Pose. And, pressing lymph nodes does not release toxins to make your body or mind clean. And, if your lymph nodes are paining in the groin, then you are pressing them hard to cause swelling in that area.

Now, you need rest with no eating for few days. And, later doing the pose without pressing the lymph nodes.

Athena28 - 2008-03-05 8:38 PM

Hi,
I'm a beginner and this may seem like a strange question...
A few weeks ago when we learned tree pose in my basics class the teacher talked about how when we push our heels against our thighs, beneath the groin - we are pressing on lymph nodes and releasing toxins.
That evening - after learning it, I came down with a bad cold/flu that lasted about a week.
Well, yesterday I was doing my practice at home - spent quite awhile in tree pose because I enjoy it so much... and lo and behold, I was hit with another strain of the flu last night.
Today I have a fever and my body is incredibly sore - especially in the area of those lymphs.
Could releasing those toxins be making me sick? Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Thanks,
Athena

Edited by kulkarnn 2008-03-05 9:46 PM

Posted 2008-03-05 10:46 PM (#104453 - in reply to #104445)

Hello Athena.

The lymphatic system is one of the body's system without its own pump. It therefore relies on movement to flush lymph. The lymphatic system, for most people, tends to work all during your waking hours unless you sleep for a living or are a chair tester.

Different bodies react differently to energetic work. For some people Reiki is a very potent and they need to rest for days after being treated. For others there is little or no palpable effect. I've had very deep-tissue massage and been fine. I've had chiropractic, Reiki, and acupuncture. And in the hundred or so sessions I've had maybe one or two episodes where I reacted with muscle soreness or the symptoms of illness. My mother, on the other hand, needs a day of rest after a strong gale wind.

It is more likely that you caught something from someone in class and then again at home. I have never had a reaction from Vrksasana nor have I had a student with such a reaction that could be solely pinned on the pose itself.

Oddly enough, this "flushing toxins" bit has become a sort of rote offering in some yoga class dialogue.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-03-05 10:48 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-03-06 9:49 AM (#104477 - in reply to #104453)

Expert Yogi

Assuming you agree with the "flushing toxins" idea, as purna says, typically people will feel queasy for a bit and need some extra rest. It is doubtful that you would come down with symptoms of an actual viral illness. The "bugs" going around this winter are wretched. Sorry you have managed to catch more than one!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)