YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to work with this injury??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

phreerose
Posted 2008-03-10 11:00 AM (#104663)
Subject: How to work with this injury??

I recently did something to my shoulder, which was most likely done in yoga. The doctor said it was a result of either the shoulder joint and cartilage rubbing together repetitively or them being pressed together for too long in one position.

I feel pretty good how, but I've been out of classes for almost a month and doing only a minor home practice. I know I need to ease back into things.

What poses should I avoid all together for awhile? I'm thinking inversions, shoulderstand but I'm not sure what else?

Can anyone recommend any resources to read up on working with these type of injuries?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-10 3:55 PM (#104686 - in reply to #104663)
Subject: RE: How to work with this inju

More likely it would be appropriate to modify or avoid poses that demand weight-bearing on the arms.

Chaturanga
Vasisthasana
Phalankasana
Bakasana
Adho Mukha Vrksasana
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
Bhujangasana
Urdhva Dhanurasana
and perhaps Adho Mukha Svanasana

Without much more detail from your MD's diagnosis I could not direct you further. Additionally, therapeutic applications are best handled with a trained teacher in a one-on-one setting, not via internet posts.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-10 5:08 PM (#104692 - in reply to #104663)
Subject: RE: How to work with this injury??

This is my suggestion. Please see ===> below. Best luck.

phreerose - 2008-03-10 11:00 AM

I recently did something to my shoulder, which was most likely done in yoga. The doctor said it was a result of either the shoulder joint and cartilage rubbing together repetitively or them being pressed together for too long in one position.

===> You must at this stage decide whether you completely trust the doctor's statement. The answer should be ONLY Yes or No. it must not be 'may be'.

I feel pretty good how, but I've been out of classes for almost a month and doing only a minor home practice. I know I need to ease back into things.

===> This is Fantastic.

What poses should I avoid all together for awhile? I'm thinking inversions, shoulderstand but I'm not sure what else?

===> If you completely trust in the Doctor, you must ask this question to the Doctor showing all the poses to him. Then, make a list of those to be avoided. If he can not tell you, then you must trash the doctor opinion. And, if he can tell you, you must avoid that list.

===> If you do not trust in the Doctor, you should go to an experienced teacher with your own body present in front of the teacher, and take a list from the teacher.

===> if you wish to learn how to make this decision of list yourself (list of poses to be avoided), you must take a Serious Teacher Training.

Can anyone recommend any resources to read up on working with these type of injuries?

===> You must NOT read any book in this matter, except of course my response to your post.

Edited by kulkarnn 2008-03-10 5:10 PM
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-03-13 11:14 AM (#104857 - in reply to #104663)
Subject: RE: How to work with this injury??

A suggestion - find a senior Iyengar teacher to go to who knows about shoulder injuries. Then do standing poses with him or her focussing on learning proper shoulder motion. A few private lessons, perhaps. Also a good physical therapist or a chiropractor or osteopath who knows therapeutic exercise could give you help with learning to strengthen the muscles which attach to the shoulder joint.

As far as books, you might just have a look at some books in your local public or university library to gather an idea of the musculature in the shoulder area. That can't hurt. But your learning should be mostly experiential. Your pain can be a teacher, telling you what movements are good & which should be avoided. Avoid pain-killing drugs as they will dull your perception & over time you will become weaker. You need the pain-inflammation cycle to do it's natural thing. Which it sounds like it did - that is good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)