YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Above and Below the knee
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

YogaDoer
Posted 2008-03-28 2:35 PM (#105569)
Subject: Above and Below the knee

Hello,

I have been practising yoga for almost 9 months now. It's been almost a month that I started doing Ashtanga Yoga. Last week, I was given Marichyasan D and since then my left knee has been acting up. When I walk run everything is fine, however when I do Padmasan my hip starts to hurt a little bit and so does the portion below my knee (only during Marichyasan) otherwise everything works goes on smoothly. Does this mean that my hip is opening and my knee is getting flexible? My Yoga Guru said that this doesn't seem to be Yoga injury point and I some what agree with that. Can it be a muscle that might have been pulled?

Thanks in advance!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-28 8:53 PM (#105581 - in reply to #105569)
Subject: RE: Above and Below the knee

If you have a yoga guru I cannot see how feedback from anyone here would trump such a thing. Not necessarily because that person is correct (or not) but because you have chosen a person with whom to study.

Is this the pose you are referring to?

One would really have to see your body in asana to soundly answer the questions you ask. And even then, making a determination if what you are feeling is opening in the hip would be a challenge unless you were to project the feedback over time.

The knee is a joint (not a muscle) and therefore I would reply with a "no" to the question of "is my knee becoming more flexible?".

It is of course possible you are lengthening the muscles around both the hip and knee and that would depend on genetics, practice, frequency, effort, and diet. It is also possible you are moving too fast relative to 9 months of practice and the aforementioned list. Since you have selected a guru then it would be best to follow that person until you decide to stop following that person.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-03-28 8:55 PM

Posted 2008-03-28 11:13 PM (#105584 - in reply to #105569)

YogaDoer - 2008-03-28 11:35 AM

Hello,

Last week, I was given Marichyasan D and since then my left knee has been acting up. When I walk run everything is fine, however when I do Padmasan my hip starts to hurt a little bit and so does the portion below my knee (only during Marichyasan) otherwise everything works goes on smoothly.

That is a pose that can lead to permanent knee injuries. Please speak with your teacher and if not satisfied with his/her answers, find a more dependable teacher.
YogaDoer
Posted 2008-03-29 8:30 AM (#105592 - in reply to #105581)

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, that's the pose I am talking about. I will see for another week if doesn't improve. But I just wanted to check if this was a common occuring or not. When I started doing Yoga it did hurt in a lot of places (hips, lower back). But the pain gradually faded away (but that's some pain I have experienced in the past). This was completely new to me.
YogaDoer
Posted 2008-03-29 8:30 AM (#105593 - in reply to #105584)

Ok. will check with guru ji again! Thanks for the information.
Nick
Posted 2008-03-29 3:15 PM (#105604 - in reply to #105593)

Hi there,
This is the pose that a yoga teacher in North London succeeded in fracturing a student's tibia about 5 years ago-I don't know how they did it, but they must have put a lot of load on that student-the same load can be put on the knee in this pose, seeing as the knee is merely the end of the tibia.
Take care
Nick
hnia
Posted 2008-04-17 3:46 PM (#106387 - in reply to #105569)

I would pay very close attention to the hip opening and knee work in the earlier part of the series.

Pay close attention to your knees in utkatasansa and half lotus stuff. Hip gets attention in: Side angles and warrior II.

When those postures are perfect you can safely do the others

And, I really believe this: If it hurts something is wrong.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)