YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some help with back pain!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

j_jill
Posted 2008-03-31 4:06 PM (#105699)
Subject: Need some help with back pain!

I really hope someone can give me some advice! I am desperate!! Sorry if this is long and rambling!

I was having constant back pain. Mostly around the shoulder blade area, but it radiates up and down. I get huge, painful knots and the littlest activity seems to set it off. I have been to several doctors, had ex-rays and mri's. They can't seem to figure it out. The last doctor I saw gave me pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti-depressants and told me to get physical therapy.

For a while I was living on pain meds and paying $20 a day for ice and heat at the PT clinic. I was at a dead end. I am 31 and otherwise in good health so I knew something had to give. I decided to make major life changes. About 6 months ago I started doing yoga, light weight lifting and I even got to feeling good enough to start running. I am up to about 10 miles a week. I gave up sugary foods and fried foods. I am a model of good eating. I am 100% dedicated and I'm feeling 99% better!

The problem is, the back pain still sneaks up on me every couple of months. Yesterday I was just walking through my house and I felt a twinge. Within an hour I was layed on the floor in tears and couldn't move. The pain is centered just to the left of my right shoulder blade. It feels like someone is twisting the muscle in knots and sharp pain radiates into my neck, my right arm and down my back. The pain is the worst when I look up or try to straighten my back. It even hurts to breath. I can't move my head, I can't stand up straight. I have been stuck in the bed, propped up on pillows since yesterday.

The crazy thing is I don't know what caused it. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I can run 4 miles and not hurt, I can do halasana (plow) and not hurt, I can lift weights and not hurt - but I walk through the house and I'm down for the count.

I was in so much pain that I had to give in and take some pain meds and muscle relaxers. Now I feel like I have polluted my body and I am so frustrated. Can you suggest some yoga moves that might help? Am I going to have to do a cleanse to get these meds out of my system?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-31 6:53 PM (#105704 - in reply to #105699)
Subject: RE: Need some help with back p

It absolutely happens just as you describe it.

What I will share with you is this, the healing approach must be three pronged in order for the thingie to be gone completely. If you are doing the appropriate work physically (asana/pranayama) and you've made the changes in diet to a) be hydrated, b) be alkaline, and c) be oxygenated then all that remains is the emotional work.

Rhetorically speaking, what is it in your past, what is it that is behind you, what burden or load can you not shoulder that you have not fully dealt with?

Our bodies call to us and mostly we ignore them until they escalate the issues to the point where they can no longer be ignored. Yours sounds as though it have grown very weary of being ignored.
j_jill
Posted 2008-03-31 7:25 PM (#105707 - in reply to #105699)

You could be right. But other than yoga and lifestyle change how do you suggest I work through this inner turmoil?
tourist
Posted 2008-03-31 9:59 PM (#105709 - in reply to #105707)

Expert Yogi

jill - try some Rolfing or other bodywork of that sort. Both my DH and I have had significant improvements through Hellerwork which is a Rolf off shoot. Acupuncture can also be very helpful in treating these sorts of deep muscle issues. A newer system that I've had some experience with is call Bodytalk, which you might find helpful.

Posted 2008-04-01 1:52 AM (#105713 - in reply to #105699)

Typically, with students I am teaching, or when working with my teacher teaching me, it is through the process of transformational meditation that one deals with that third of the puzzle.
Logan Chierotti
Posted 2011-10-06 10:31 PM (#209316 - in reply to #105699)
Subject: Re: Need some help with back pain!

New User

I had the EXACT same problem. I tried everything, chiropractic, rolfing, acupuncture, I mean everything. The only thing that would help was digging the knots with door edge or something. I can tell you Yoga practice daily has almost cured me. I had the same feelings and problems as you, I was afraid I was going to be injured for ever. I had spent so much money going from doctor to doctor getting all kinds of different answers. Daily yoga practice will fix you, but it is not overnight, it takes time. Those knots built up over years and it will take months and years to break them down.
callofsedona
Posted 2014-04-13 11:19 PM (#211408 - in reply to #105699)
Subject: Re: Need some help with back pain!

Veteran

I think if this problem getting serious it must be better for you to consult a therapist or a doctor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)