YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Music and Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-01 7:36 PM (#105736)
Subject: Music and Yoga

Hello soul searchers i have an idea for your stress relief. Enjoy some music that is spiritual in nature. Try it out free at: http://www.myspace.com/stevehydonus or you can go to my web site at: http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/ Hope to here from you.

Steve Hydonus

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-01 7:37 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-04-02 10:19 AM (#105750 - in reply to #105736)
Subject: RE: Music and Yoga

Expert Yogi

Steve - while we appreciate a link to good yoga music, you do not seem to be joining our community or taking part in our discussions in any way other than advertising. Consequently, all future posts will be treated as SPAM and deleted immediately.
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-04 10:24 AM (#105822 - in reply to #105736)
Subject: RE: Patience

One of the qualities that marks spiritual attainment is patience. Give me a chance to understand the terms in your forum and to respond. This has not been given. The best way that i can introduce myself is to begin with what God has given me as a talent. i have had many problems logging into your site also. i have given you the music i channel free. You may listen to six of the songs on myspace free. i have been a yoga teacher for years. Is this your idea of spirituality?

Steve Hydonus

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-04 10:27 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-04-04 7:17 PM (#105847 - in reply to #105736)

Expert Yogi

Well Steve, here's the thing. We are indeed always interested in hearing from new members. There is nothing we like better than finding a kindred spirit to talk yoga with, but it does seem to me that you are not so interested in discussing yoga and really interested in us listening to your music. Personally, I am in Iyengar student and we don't really "do" the yoga music thing, so I am not drawn to posts asking me to leave the forum and listen. Some folks here are more inclined that way, and if they have gone off to listen, for some reason chose not to comment. Add to that the fact that most new single posters are spammers (who make me go waaaay non-"yogic", I admit), you can see how I might come to the conclusion that you are not here for discussion.

So - let's back up the bus a bit, assume I missed all your links and just saw an eager new face here looking for some yoga talk. Welcome to the board. What style of yoga do your practice? Any questions we might be able to answer for you?
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-07 11:06 PM (#105990 - in reply to #105736)

April 308 Dwapara

Nomaste Tourist

Thanks for the second chance. i will absorb your remarks. i have been practicing Kriya Yoga now for over 35 years. i have read some of iyengars book. If you go to my website you will find pictures of me practicing Hatha Yoga. However i do not mean to draw you away from this forum so let me ask you some questions. Do you teach yoga? i find the practice of meditation the most absorbing for myself. When i was younger i found hatha yoga easier for a restless mind. After years of practicing Kriyas in meditation i spend many ours sitting daily. i follow the Kriyas as taught by Paramahansa Yogananda i also find Ammas council and guidance helpful. i lived in a Vivekananda Monastery for years. i also spent time with meditators from other paths. My feeling is that hatha yoga was developed originally to help us sit in meditation longer without physical concerns and that all yoga is helpful in finding our path back to our spiritual home.

i was quite surprised to find all the different names of yoga practices on this site. Quite frankly i think i need a definition of them otherwise it seems a bit awkward going into each separate forum heading. You may have a suggestion for me. Perhaps i could start by asking you what form of yoga you practice. i know you mentioned Iyengar. i wonder what heading you would find of interest on the forum and what that heading means?

Thanks in advance for your reply Steve Hydonus

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-07 11:22 PM

Posted 2008-04-08 1:58 PM (#106012 - in reply to #105736)

Spirituality cannot be wielded like a sword. Nor can it be the instrument upon which we generate guilt from others. We, yogis, must use great care in the ways in which that flag is both hoisted and waved.

Perhaps what is more pertinent to say is that this particular community, being one of yoga teachers and practitioners rather than kitchen-aid appliance users, appreciates the members of its commmunity sharing in many forms, including Steve's gifts.

When that sharing, especially for ones just joining, is strictly or primarily self-promoting, it tends to waft of something other than connection with the community but rather self-serving. And it may not be so...but in the head-on approach that is often how it smells. After all, it is the internet and there are a myriad of past examples on this board.

I appreciate the OP's sharing his stuff though I would prefer the presentation of it have been a bit more "out" and honest. "I have an idea for your stress relief" makes it seems as though Steve is a neutral third party advocating something he's found. Steve is, in fact a first party advocating his stuff. And his stuff may be grand, free, enlightening - there is no doubt. I would just prefer a more direct approach like:

"Hey I cut a CD, check it out", period.

Steve's engagement of the community here will bear itself out over time. I'm all for keeping the board clean and Steve may share that intention. Though his intention(s) should not be ones that are garnered from the board's nature but rather his own.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-04-08 2:04 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-04-08 6:43 PM (#106015 - in reply to #105990)

Expert Yogi

Hi Steve - I practice and teach Iyengar yoga, which is primarily asana and pranayama, though we are getting more and more directives from BKS to study the sutras, the Gita and other texts. I have not been to Pune myself, but have studied for the past 11 years or so with direct students of BKS and Swami Sivananda Radha. We have a large, diverse and lively group of Iyengar teachers and students and are blessed to have some of the most qualified teachers inthe world either here or as visiting teachers.

The headings were all here before I arrived - oh, I guess we have added a couple. The most avid users seem to be like me and check out pretty much everything under every heading. As a moderator, I typically look at everything a couple of times daily. The meanings? Well, that seems to vary from user to user. I don't give them a whole lot of thought, to be honest.
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-15 9:54 PM (#106295 - in reply to #105736)
Subject: The Gita and Meditation

April 15 308 Dwapara

To Purna Yoga and Tourist. i appreciate your responses. While i could respond to a rather rocky welcome and introduction it does not seem to serve a useful purpose. i have noticed that the mind has to be quite flexible in yoga practice. Just about the time you think you got it figured out someone will throw a monkey wrench into your preconcieved ideas. But then who says any person has to follow a formula in human communication?

i notice that Purna mentioned reading the Gita. i have been spending quite a bit of time on the first chapter. What surprises me is the interpretation that Yogananda gives to this chapter. i find that he talks about the restlessness and the inertia that causes great lapses in our spiritual resolve. This idea of restessness often comes to my attention while practicing meditation. i find that if we can get beyond the initial stages of restlessness by the proper use of prananyam or Kriya Yoga (in my case) The body finally relaxes and the mind enters a blissful stage that transcends bodily identification and worldly influences.

Will start looking around the forum.

Jitendra (Steve Hydonus)

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-15 10:13 PM
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-16 6:43 AM (#106307 - in reply to #106012)
Subject: Promoting the 'SELF'

purnayoga - 2008-04-08 1:58 PM

Perhaps what is more pertinent to say is that this particular community, being one of yoga teachers and practitioners rather than kitchen-aid appliance users, appreciates the members of its commmunity sharing in many forms, including Steve's gifts.

When that sharing, especially for ones just joining, is strictly or primarily self-promoting, it tends to waft of something other than connection with the community but rather self-serving. And it may not be so...but in the head-on approach that is often how it smells. After all, it is the internet and there are a myriad of past examples on this board.

I appreciate the OP's sharing his stuff though I would prefer the presentation of it have been a bit more "out" and honest. "I have an idea for your stress relief" makes it seems as though Steve is a neutral third party advocating something he's found. Steve is, in fact a first party advocating his stuff. And his stuff may be grand, free, enlightening - there is no doubt. I would just prefer a more direct approach like:

"Hey I cut a CD, check it out", period.

Steve's engagement of the community here will bear itself out over time. I'm all for keeping the board clean and Steve may share that intention. Though his intention(s) should not be ones that are garnered from the board's nature but rather his own.

Purnayoga thanks for your reflections and the interest you have shown. i wondered if there was a better category to put music under.

One of the most important elements of yoga is that of self reflection and in the proces we spiritualize our life and consciousness. Others have the affect of mirrioring ourselves back magnified. In this sense i have listened to the comments of others. If i had said "Hey I cut a CD, check it out". Would that have been truthful? You see there is much more involved then 'me' in this whole process. Should i give myself credit for what has come from something higher than me? If i had come out and been direct and said just who has worked thru me and how this music has taken place what then would it have the smell of? i prefer not to use a confrontational approach in describing just how and who has accomplished what has taken place thru me. So again i think that at this point it is better to describe it in the 'third person' and not as something i have accomplished or promote as my own. When we speak of the 'Self' in yoga we speak of the higher self and promoting its cause.

P.S. Sometimes when you submit a post you do not hear the click sound so i have submitted again but found later that two of the posts i tried to submit did finally appear. There are now replicas. How do you/i delete them?

Jitendra (Steve Hydonus)

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-16 7:09 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-04-16 9:48 AM (#106316 - in reply to #106307)
Subject: RE: Promoting the 'SELF'

Expert Yogi

Steve - you have a bit of time to delete your own double posts (30 min. maybe?) but if you time out, I can clean them up for you as I just did. I wish all house cleaning were so simple!

Posted 2008-04-16 10:30 AM (#106319 - in reply to #105736)

Well, I suppose honesty that doesn't appear honest, is better than dishonestly that looks honest. But practically speaking, neither is a good way to go. Even if you didn't consider your post misleading, it was basically identical to the 100s of other posts from people that are. Others will see it that way and there's no getting around it.

The example of "Hey I cut a CD, check it out" was just that, an example, trying to make the point that honesty and straightforwardness are better in this sort of thing. If it's not your style to say it that way, I'm sure you could think of some other way to say it which wouldn't make it appear you are trying to mislead people.
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-16 10:47 AM (#106322 - in reply to #106319)

aystam - 2008-04-16 10:30 AM

Well, I suppose honesty that doesn't appear honest, is better than dishonestly that looks honest. But practically speaking, neither is a good way to go. Even if you didn't consider your post misleading, it was basically identical to the 100s of other posts from people that are. Others will see it that way and there's no getting around it.

The example of "Hey I cut a CD, check it out" was just that, an example, trying to make the point that honesty and straightforwardness are better in this sort of thing. If it's not your style to say it that way, I'm sure you could think of some other way to say it which wouldn't make it appear you are trying to mislead people.

Thanks Aystam i would agree with you perception is important in life. The perception others have of us often can make life difficult for us. Take for instance the life of Jesus not to mention a slew of other saints who have been martyred. i have not suffered any injustice here. Everyone has been quite kind. Understanding comes slow for most people including myself. i would be interested to know how you would have given everyone a welcome gift? Music is rather difficult to give covertly. It requires listeners to appreciate. If i were to save it for myself would this be a way to give? Music is stress relieving my yoga students like to hear it during class. Some kinds of music are stress relieving in other settings. It can be used to remind us of our purpose in life. Yoga is union between mind soul and body. Music can also help us in this goal. i see it somewhat like sunlight it is there for everyone to feel its warmth. You can be critical about how warm it is or that it came up in the sky too early this morning. But it still keeps shining and provides a service that is indispensible to our lives.

Jitendra

P.S. Thank You Tourist for your service and suggestion about replica posts No sense beating my head against the wall when you can show me how to climb over.

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-04-16 11:17 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)