YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

form in ashtanga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-06 4:21 AM (#105891)
Subject: form in ashtanga

Veteran

I've been taking some new classes at my gym. I like the teacher, she seems experienced. When we do postures like trikonasana, she encourages us to grab for the toe and says that form is more important, alignment will come with practice. I've always been taught in trikonasana to reach forward as if you are grabbing something and then when you windmill your arms, where your hand naturally reaches is as far as you should go. My hand hits my calf. I can reach my toe but then I worry my hips are out of alignment. I don't mind doing it her way in her class but wonder if anyone has insight on this? Is there a proper way or is it up to the teacher? Are you doing trikonasana properly if you reach where you naturally can go or is it better to get your hand to the floor if you can? I have the same with utthita parsvakonasana- I can get my hand to the floor instead of the variation of keeping my elbow on my knee, but I feel like I'm trying a bit too hard...
I have the same question for utthita hasta padangusasana- I love trying to hold my toe, but then feel like I'm jutting my butt out to compensate- so I should just keep doing the variation of holding my knee until I'm ready, right? or should I try to hold my toe and build up strength that way?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-04-06 10:59 AM (#105900 - in reply to #105891)
Subject: RE: form in ashtanga

Hi Nicole,
Trouble with giving advice is that some astanga teachers are very picky about sticking to the format, and won't tolerate modification-but as you ask..
You say you are worried about your hips being in alignment if you grab your toe-by 'hips,' I'm presuming you mean your pelvis, and it is very hard for most to keep the pelvis in alignment with the legs if the toe is held. And probably not a good idea in terms of sacro-iliac, spine, and hip joint health. But alignment of the pelvis with the legs does not necessarily denote good alignment of the three areas mentioned above-in my opinion, it never does-I've yet to see it in twenty years. So health-wise, I would say that keeping the pelvis in alignment is actually a no-no-the human body simply does not operate like this-during movement, the pelvis oscillates like the wings of a butterfly, and I think that we should encourage this pelvic oscillation during yoga postures to improve the efficacy of our practice and the enjoyment of moving 'well.'

As far as uthita hasta goes, I would do both, but when holding the toe, allow the knee to bend, and keep good alignment of the pelvis-then your muscles memorize the position at which you have good posture, and it's only a matter of time before the hamstrings give sufficiently for you to straighten your leg completely.

Take care

Nick
joyfulflow
Posted 2008-04-09 12:39 PM (#106044 - in reply to #105891)

Wow, in my opinion, your teacher is giving you very bad advice. (I'm a teacher and I also have about five years of formal ashtanga training.) There are definitely modifications in ashtanga as well -- it's ridiculous to expect everyone to grab the toe. For some good examples of modifications, see David Swenson's book "Ashtanga Yoga."

If you "dump" your pelvis and torso in order to grab the toe, then you're changing the nature of the posture entirely. You're not receiving the benefits of trikonasana then. Same with parsvakonasana.

In uttitha hasta padangustasana, perhaps you could grab the toe but not try to push the leg completely straight until you're able to maintain the lift of the chest, the strong lower leg, and the square shoulders.

Posted 2008-04-09 1:00 PM (#106046 - in reply to #105891)

I've not done too many Ashtanga classes, but the few I have the teachers were more balanced about doing poses with good alignment than just getting into them, so teachers vary. I would be a bit more concerned with "form following function" than your teacher is. I think doing a posture with bad alignment is likely to teach the body bad habits, rather than good alignment magically happening the more you do it. You sound like you have enough experience and know your body well, I would trust your instincts and do what you think is right for you.
hnia
Posted 2008-04-09 1:07 PM (#106048 - in reply to #106044)

I was just discussing the issue of big toe with a certified teacher from mysore last month. I don't think it is that unusual for traditional mysore teachers to teach this way.

He says that there are certain things like grabbing the big toe in ashtanga triangle that he encourages everyone to do. In fact his specific instruction is to pull away from the big toe. This is something you can't do if you are modifying. He said that doing triangle this way is one of the things that he does not dilute. He said that there a lots of other example where he is less strict, but that traingle was something he felt strongly about. He teaches anatomy all over the world, too.

Throughout the whole series there is an emphasis and awareness of holding the big toe. It happens in several times in standing , in seated and in finishing too.

At some point you have to start grabbing the big toe. I personally think triangle is great place to start.

The stance for ashtanga triangle is shorter too. you might be spreding your legs too wide. Once you get more flexible you can have the feet 4 feet apart and grab the big toe and tilt the pelvis, too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)