YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kripalu vs. ashthanga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kripalu YogaMessage format

zenistaga
Posted 2008-04-12 10:42 AM (#106162)
Subject: kripalu vs. ashthanga?

whats the difference between kripalu yoga and other forms of yoga like ashthanga for example? i know its more meditative but are there still sun salutations and headstands within it? im really not familiar with what each yoga form entails
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-14 1:43 PM (#106227 - in reply to #106162)
Subject: RE: kripalu vs. ashthanga?

kripalu is really a method of approaching practice, not necessarily a 'set school' or what have you that is considered a 'style.' that is, the method can apply to any 'style' of yoga that you practice.

the method is, essentially, enter the pose, observe and realign, and then move into the meditative focus for the duration of the hold. the posture and breath are the focal points for the meditation.

this approach can be "added" to any "style" of yoga--bikram, astanga, sivananda, etc. each of these styles may have their own method--astanga focusing on breath and transitions, for example, whereas sivananda does a more bhakti-based meditation process in the practice (harder to explain), and bikram doesn't teach to these aspects because for most folks, it's hard enough to just figure out the poses!

so, when learning kripalu method in a form of teacher training, you learn the basic alignment of postures, the basic sequencing, breathing techniques, philosophy, meditation techniques, etc, and you learn how to integrate this method (enter the pose, observe and align, meditate) into whatever it is you want to teach.

some people go on to learn astanga or whatever else, and teach that form, using the kripalu method.

zenistaga
Posted 2008-04-15 8:47 AM (#106259 - in reply to #106162)

wow zoebird i couldnt have asked for a better response! thanks alot for that! exactly what i needed to know! i applied for Kripalu School of Yoga so im hopeing to hear back soon with positive news! thanks again!
Eteraz
Posted 2008-07-30 1:12 PM (#109834 - in reply to #106227)

Just reading your explanation made me want to study Kripalu. I currently practice Ashtanga but I'm really interest in Kripalu now. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)