YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hi all new here with back prob
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

daz
Posted 2008-04-17 6:27 PM (#106391)
Subject: hi all new here with back prob

hi ,i just found this site ,
i have cronic lower back pain and am looking for pilates to help sort it out
i am 42 years old and have been a bricklayer for 20 years which involves heavy lifting and a lot of bending usually carrying a load ,
the pain i get is lower back and normally in the morning (i cant stay in bed to long )it eases once at work and comes back when i get home
to ease the pain if i stand up and do a forward pelvic thrust this seems to feel better
sorry if this is long but really need to sort this out but i dont want to start wrong and make things worse
hope someone can advise me
btw been to doctors and chiropractor (not much use there )
thanks for looking
darron
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2008-04-24 10:19 PM (#106612 - in reply to #106391)
Subject: RE: hi all new here with back prob

Hello!

Pilates can be very helpful for back pain, as it trains you to use all of your core muscles to support the spine whenever you move, lift, bend, etc.

In your situation, you REALLY should try to get a private session with a well-trained Pilates instructor before jumping into a group class. A lot of group classes move along quickly and don't take the time to give a greatly detailed explanation of the position for your pelvis, rib cage, shoulder blades, neck, etc. Once you understand that, you'll be able to move safely through a group class or do a workout along with a DVD if that's more in your price range.

Look for a Pilates studio and give them a call, tell them your situation, and ask for a trainer that knows how to work with your special needs! Good luck!!

Posted 2008-04-25 1:37 AM (#106616 - in reply to #106391)
Subject: RE: hi all new here with back

Eccentric contraction of the hip flexors my friend. If you can find a PIlates that does that and does not focus on building your core muscles (which likely will not release the spasm in your iliopsoas) then go for it. Without seeing you my guess would be that your back issue is in your front body.

I'm not a Pilates student or teacher so I would be very interested to have you weigh back in after 6-8 weeks of Pilates work to see how you are faring.
vitalflow
Posted 2008-05-27 8:13 AM (#107899 - in reply to #106391)
Subject: RE: hi all new here with back prob

Hi Daz. Pilates would be ideal. Lifting heavy loads over a long period of time can cause compression which is why when you - I think this is what you are describing - tuck your tailbone under, you get some relief as it stretches out the "squashed" area. Moving is also good for the back. Pilates stretches out the spine and works on the core muscles, making lifting and carrying safer as I presume you can't just change your job! Simply drawing your knees to your chest SLOWLY before you get out of bed will ease out the lower back first thing in the morning. For lots more info on backs and Pilates, take a look at www.vitalflow.com. Hope you find some relief soon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)