YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga yoga injuries
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-18 4:01 PM (#106420)
Subject: Ashtanga yoga injuries

I have been practicing Ashtanga for a bit over two years (I practiced Iyengar and Anusara before). I love Ashtanga yoga but am constantly injuring my hamstring area and hamstring tendons. Last time I injured it, it took about a year to heal and then I very slowly started to go into the poses again and I got injured again. Am I doing something wrong? This is the only yoga I've ever gotten injured in constantly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hnia
Posted 2008-04-18 4:40 PM (#106422 - in reply to #106420)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga yoga injuries

Hey Eteraz,

Do you practice everyday? Moon days? In a heated room? With a teacher? Do you stop at a certain point? Do you only do primary?

FYI: You are probably going too deep too quickly. Try practicing at 60% for one week. Then try 65% for one week, 75%, 80% When you get to 80% don't go any deeper Do this forever and your 80% will change.

never practice at 100%

Posted 2008-04-18 4:43 PM (#106424 - in reply to #106420)

if the practice is causing you to be constantly injured, perhaps it is time for you to seriously question the efficacy of the practice
do you love ashtanga series more than you love the function of your hamstrings?
Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-18 4:48 PM (#106426 - in reply to #106420)

Yes I practice in a room (heated) with an Ashtanga teacher. I practice all the time (no paying attention to moon days or anything). My friend said I just do too much yoga and need to rest a bit. Not sure about that one.
tourist
Posted 2008-04-18 6:40 PM (#106431 - in reply to #106426)

Expert Yogi

REST! It sounds from your other posts that you may still have some Iyengar books around. Take a look at some of the restorative sequences and do them at minimum 3 days per month. and take one day OFF a week from asana - pranayama and meditation are ok. The Universe has a way of giving these little warnings and if you choose not to listen, you may get hit by a bus or something. Take it easy.
Nick
Posted 2008-04-19 2:03 AM (#106440 - in reply to #106426)

Hi Ellie,
Hamstring injuries are avery common injury in many sports and physical activities. I think that there are several reasons for this also being the case in the various forms of yoga. Perhaps one of the main reasons is that we over-stretch the muscles-I think the first muscle that people notice when the start yoga is this one-it stops them putting their hands on the floor in a forward bend-and then they just start lengthening the muscle until hey presto, the injury happens.

This is actually a very big subject in rehabilitation, can't really do it justice here, but perhaps if you try bending the knee which is extended in forward bends for a session or so, then keep a diary of how your hamstrings feel-if they instantly stop giving you trouble, then it's almost a sure sign that you have been a bit too keen on stretching them.
This takes patience, unfortunately not something that every one is endowed with The great thing is, though, is that you are actually becoming more advanced at finding good posture-by not allowing the knee to hyper-extend, you gain better knee and back health, and actually work on the hamstrings with greater skill-because you are tightening the lower hamstring fibres to stop the knee hyper-extending, the upper fibres get stretched better. This also helps to ensure that you are not stretching the knee joint and surrounding structures, but the belly of the muscle itself.
Let us know how it goes
Nick
Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-19 6:44 PM (#106454 - in reply to #106420)

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your comments. Today I went to an Iyengar class for a change and kept my knees bend in all the forward bends. No hamstraing pain. I've been doing that actually more and more and I think after reading Nick's comments I'll continue keeping my knees bent. Also the more forward I go (eight more forward than middle or back) the less it hurts.
lewellen17
Posted 2008-04-19 7:52 PM (#106458 - in reply to #106420)

Hey there,

I injured my hamstring last year and it took months to heal, so ouch, I feel your pain. I did all the stuff Nick mentioned, and have been extremely cautious about hyperextending the knees since, and it has helped wonders. There is no reason to be "constantly" injuring yourself in Ashtanga; I suspect it's more that ashtanga seems to attract the more driven, type-A among us, who don't back off if they feel that something isn't quite right.

I completely understand the addictive nature of this practice - and that is but one of the reasons for the rest days. Don't become too attached to the asana practice. The rest is extremely important. I actually find that my practice is stronger, lighter and softer after a day or two of rest. Even knowing this, sometimes it takes more discipline to take a day off than to practise. If you can't do *nothing* on saturdays/moon days, try a yin sequence, pranayama, restorative sequence; just don't torch yourself with your full ashtanga sequence.

good luck,

lisa
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)