YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga for children?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

darlyndotty
Posted 2008-04-29 8:46 AM (#106753)
Subject: yoga for children?

i have an 11 months old child. he hs low muscle tone. his doctor suggests yoga to develop and strengthen his muscles. i live in a country where yoga is not widely practsed and i have difficulty finding anyone who can train the child. i can't even find the books here.

please advise
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-29 1:59 PM (#106767 - in reply to #106753)
Subject: RE: yoga for children?

You said 11 months, right?

Yoga for children below the age of seven is typically a fun "activity" rather than muscle toning work. At age seven the student can begin a more rigorous, alignment-based practice.

Low muscle tone for an infant? I suppose that's possible but I cannot see the point in making such a diagnosis in a developing infant.

Could you clarify some of this please?
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-29 8:30 PM (#106781 - in reply to #106767)

Expert Yogi

When my children were little they had a play group called Gymboree. It was for Parents and Children. It was actually a parent/child interaction group thing. We had a fun time. Yes, this is where the chain store Gymboree came from. But, anyway, it was a great concept to help babies learn fine motor skills at age appropriate levels. They started these babies at very young ages. My son started when he was around 10 months. Might want to check it out and see if there is a group in your town. Not sure if they are international or not. If not, you might want form a group of your own using the Gymboree format.

In bigger cities, in the USA, there are yoga groups for small babies and young children. I've seen them listed before, but unfortunately, I don't have small children anymore and don't have a need for it. Good luck and best wishes. Children are the best yogi's,

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-29 8:33 PM
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-29 9:08 PM (#106782 - in reply to #106767)

purna, for reference, diagnosing hypotonia in infants is quite important, so that speech, education, and general milestones don't become delayed. here's the wikipedia article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotonia#Etiology_of_hypotonia, and there are a number of reference links posted off from it. as best I understand, it doesn't have to do so much with being able to deal with a lot of weight as that the muscles tire much faster than normal. almost every daily activity requires muscle stamina, something you take for granted until you don't have it. (fibro taught me that lesson.)
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-04-30 2:48 AM (#106804 - in reply to #106753)

11months old child and low musle tone. NO Yoga is necessary or advised. Just massage your child each day. Also, exercise the limbs of the child with your hands. Also, try to play with the child 2 hours a day. And, keep the child happy.

That is all is needed.

Of course, improve your diet and then that of the child.

darlyndotty - 2008-04-29 8:46 AM

i have an 11 months old child. he hs low muscle tone. his doctor suggests yoga to develop and strengthen his muscles. i live in a country where yoga is not widely practsed and i have difficulty finding anyone who can train the child. i can't even find the books here.

please advise
flaminjo
Posted 2008-12-02 8:59 AM (#112200 - in reply to #106753)
Subject: Re: yoga for children?

well for the kids for strengthening muscles, surya namaskar should be followed. this one exercise comprises of all of the yogic postures and if followed with a proper breathing pattern then it is one of the best asanas for anybody. you 11 year old can also do it.
kieranee
Posted 2010-01-30 6:06 AM (#121117 - in reply to #106753)

Like what the others said no worries for the muscle tone, but practicing yoga will definitely help develop good healthy habits, discipline, and stress control (even kids can appreciate this!).
islabucasgrande
Posted 2010-02-09 2:41 AM (#121363 - in reply to #106753)

I think yoga would not be perfect for an eleven-month-old child. The same must not be practiced otherwise it would involve the infant to complications because he is still at his developing age. darlyndotty, i think there is a need for you to follow the advice given by kulkarnn on the matter. Good luck and we hope to hear good feedbacks sometime soon.
petermark0
Posted 2010-11-15 1:27 AM (#126090 - in reply to #106753)

New User

Children today are under a lot of stress. Homework, pressure to compete with other children, endless after-school activities, over-scheduling -- it all adds up. And just like their parents, kids today are turning to Yoga to help them relax.
Teaching Yoga to children, I've seen how Yoga helps them develop better body awareness, self-control, flexibility and coordination. I've also seen how they can carry these skills beyond class and into their daily routines. For example, one of my students, Liza, a 10 year old, asked me what to do when she gets frustrated, like when her computer doesn't work properly.
williamb
Posted 2011-04-08 5:42 AM (#208074 - in reply to #106753)

Yoga is very good for all. It will give flexibility to children and increase stamina and concentration power in him. Yoga also help us to stay away from disease and children stay active for all time.
john
Posted 2011-05-03 1:13 PM (#208269 - in reply to #106753)

Yoga is best for children. because children have to increase their fitness.Yoga gives children stamina and make healthy.
oprtybklop
Posted 2011-05-11 7:46 AM (#208329 - in reply to #106753)

Yoga is very good for all. Would give flexibility to children, and increased durability and focus. Yoga helps us to stay away from sick and children remain active for all time.
shinywatt
Posted 2011-06-30 2:23 AM (#208820 - in reply to #106753)

Regularly yoga children feel many of physical benefits like as adults. Yoga is very beneficial for kids right physical growth and it help to function working properly. Yoga is the best way to relax and get control of stress in kids lives.
rubertnrubert
Posted 2011-07-15 5:38 PM (#208927 - in reply to #106753)

Yoga are generally happen in India. It can help us in many ways. With help of it we can reduce stress of your body. It also provides a natural glow on your skin making it look healthier. One of the most important benefit of yoga is that it helps in preventing obesity. With it we can be fit and healthy.
robinisro
Posted 2011-08-30 2:28 PM (#209125 - in reply to #106753)

People are really serious about baby yoga. I think at least be your baby one year old than start this things like yoga for baby. It is really good to do.

Edited by robinisro 2011-08-30 2:35 PM
JessyWilliam012
Posted 2012-01-10 1:59 AM (#209791 - in reply to #106753)

New User

Yoga indeed has become a popular, mainstream alternative for exercise and fitness. Yoga for kids is best begun around the age of seven, however, kids-being-kids, they of course will emulate what they see you doing, so as long as you know they are not in harm's way, it's okay to let them dabble a bit into Yoga.

AllMedia
Posted 2012-01-20 5:29 AM (#209861 - in reply to #106753)

New User

Yoga has great benefits for growing children and it is a lots of fun. It develops posture, body awareness and self-confidence and helps children to become more calm.
leroyfaanunu
Posted 2012-02-02 8:28 PM (#209945 - in reply to #106753)

You can search some video using Google. You can learn it first and after learning it, you can plan some strategy on how you will teach it to your children.
Jefferson11
Posted 2012-02-22 3:51 AM (#210094 - in reply to #106753)

New User

Yoga is Beneficial for all and it is best for good health.
silasabrown
Posted 2012-05-10 3:55 PM (#210466 - in reply to #106753)

Yoga are so good for the children such as it increase the stamina power,yoga are so good to increase concentration power which is so beneficial to improve the memory power so yoga are the best for the children.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)