YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beginning yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

sule
Posted 2008-05-03 4:12 AM (#106964)
Subject: beginning yoga

hi, i am reading a book on yoga showing poses. I am doing the poses at home but the book says that it shouldn't be done without an instructor. There is no yoga centre in my town. Should I stop or go on yoga?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-03 7:49 AM (#106967 - in reply to #106964)
Subject: RE: beginning yoga

No, you must continue. But, do only those poses which look easy for you to understand.

Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-05-03 9:33 AM (#106969 - in reply to #106964)

I learned yoga initially from a book. Nowadays, there are many good DVDs available. You might supplement by trying a few.

Total Yoga: The Flow Series: Earth from White Lotus Foundation is excellent:

http://www.whitelotus.org/books/index.html

This series (there are 2 more - Water & Fire - which are harder) shows up discounted at Ross Dress for Less.

I have and like: Ashtanga Yoga - Beginners Practice by Nicki Doane. Very good on marrying soft breathing to postures. (I've also seen this at Ross Dress for Less.) I notice she also has:

Ashtanga Yoga - Introductory Poses - Master the Essentials (2003) which appears to be more basic & instructional, although challenging, as the Ashtanga system always is. (requires & builds upper body strength)

There are many more of course, & I haven't tried them all by any means. One of my students bought A.M. and P.M. Yoga For Beginners (2000) with Rodney Yee & Patricia Walden & liked it. She bought it after a series of about 8 or 10 private lessons. I had taken some classes with Patricia Walden & knew of Yee as a solid Iyengar (alignment-focussed) teacher (at the time). One of the reviews on amazon.com says "total yoga newbies will find Yoga Journal's Yoga Practice for Beginners to be an excellent place to start" in the discussion of AM & PM, so that one might be good as well.

It's probably better to select a yoga DVD from a person who is actually a full time yoga teacher rather than a "fitness professional" like Denise Austin or Kathy Smith or someone from Crunch. Just my personal bias! Yoga is more than reps & results! But you do get results! Best of luck & congratulations on beginning a practice.

nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-03 10:45 AM (#106979 - in reply to #106964)

you may be surprised to find that there is someone teaching yoga near you. ask around. don't give up doing the poses that - as pointed out - are easy to follow the instructions for. but please don't do the poses that aren't, and don't do things like shoulder stand (or headstands) without a teacher.

but look for a teacher. even if you go to one class every other week, or one class a month, that help seeing YOUR body and what YOU need, and that direction, can be tremendously beneficial in improving the effectiveness and safety of your practice.

Posted 2008-05-03 6:27 PM (#106987 - in reply to #106964)

Greetings, welcome to the board, welcome to yoga yada yada yada....

1. The Yoga Alliance has a search feature that allows one to find teachers by city. So you may search there.

2. if you opt to continue with a DVD please consider the one by Judith Hason Lasater or Patricia Walden.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)