YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher training & Seizures
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

jesgal
Posted 2008-05-03 9:33 AM (#106968)
Subject: Teacher training & Seizures

I am having trouble finding a Yoga teacher training school that will be willing to work with my medical condition. I have had complex partial seizures since I was 13 years old. I am finding that there are many misconceptions and a fear of liability with seizures. It is a shame that this ignorance exists, but I am not angry, just disappointed.

I have a Yoga practice for the past 3+ years, I do 90 minutes each morning with Sunday being a day of rest. I also teach/assist in a Yoga class for developmental disabled individuals. Does anyone know of a school with a 200 hour Yoga teacher training that welcomes and embraces students with medical conditions?

I don't mind discouragement, it is part of everyone's life journey regardless of any medical condition. Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-05-03 10:37 AM (#106976 - in reply to #106968)
Subject: RE: Teacher training & Seizures

If possible, if I were you, & could come up with the money & time, instead of looking for a 200 hr. teachers' training school that would take you, spend 6 wks. in Poona at the Iyengar studio & observe the medical classes. Or take them, if they will let you.

Alternatively, find a very senior teacher who is willing to coach you privately in your teacher training.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-05-03 10:42 AM (#106978 - in reply to #106968)

There is a senior Iyengar yoga teacher in Santa Cruz who knows a lot of the Iyengar "medical" work (I think). Maybe he would take you.

http://www.kofibusia.com/level_1/TeachersTraining.html

He does not participate with Yoga Alliance, I don't think. But, knowing him, I feel confident that his teacher training is superior to 99.9 % of the standard 200 hr. Yoga Alliance teachers trainings.

You may be able to work out a certification with Yoga Alliance after the fact. Or, just start teaching & ignore the Yoga Alliance certification lockhold, like most of us did before there was a Yoga Alliance.

Posted 2008-05-04 10:22 AM (#106997 - in reply to #106968)
Subject: RE: Teacher training & Seizure

it would be hard to find a program or any yoga studio that would work with such a client as yourself due to the perception of risk. i believe that this is not really due to a form of prejudice, but largely due to fear and ignorance. a lot of programs are developed to make money, to train as many people as possible as quickly as possible, and to do that with very limited risk.

what you need is the "old school" teacher-student relationship. i was apprenticed by many teachers (i don't have a medical condition, but nevertheless this was the training method that i was offered) over the years, and it's a great way to learn yoga and to be a teacher. it's often tailored to exactly what you want and need, and not a "general" situation.

of course, i qualify for YA registry, though i am not registered currently.

there are likely many individual teachers who work in a variety of styles who would be willing to work with you on a one-on-one basis. i do this with my teacher training apprenticeships and it is very rewarding for both me (teacher) and the apprentice (student). each student is treated differently; each "program" is self designed between the student and myself based on need, time, special interest, etc.

i'm sure that you can likely find another teacher like me--where ever you are located. you just have to start turning over rocks.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 3:49 PM (#208694 - in reply to #106968)

Regular

If you are finding it difficult to get a yoga school that is ready with all your conditions then i advice you to look for other alternatives. There are many alternatives that may be better suited for your condition. The most important thing to remember is to honour your body and be guided by your own comfort whilst you are in recovery or whilst you are dealing with your medical and particular conditions in order to properly manage it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)