YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2008-05-06 5:24 AM (#107066)
Subject: Question about teaching

Dear yoga experts

I've been wondering for some time now what it takes to become a registered / licensed teacher of Ashtanga Yoga. I've enquired with a renowned school in Berlin. They offer a part-time programme with a duration of three to four years, depending on how fast you progress. Initially, this option sounded like it would fit the bill as I would only have to go to Berlin once a month and would still be able to work full-time to finance the whole course. However, this training would set me back a whopping eight grand (Euros, that is) and one of the conditions is to keep a class log which the teacher has to confirm I attend AT LEAST three Mysore-style classes a week. My teacher only offers two classes per week and due to working hours, it is likely I will miss the odd one. Now to my questions: Would you recommend a compact course after finishing the Primary Series or do you think this year-long path is best for beginners? And, more importantly, does a teacher of the Primary Series have to be able to get into every single asana? What about people with an unfortunate body type who can do more advanced postures but have severe problems with other asanas?

I would really appreciate a reply from all of you who have a bit experience teaching.

Many thanks in advance. Om Shanti

Jessica
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-06 6:55 AM (#107067 - in reply to #107066)
Subject: RE: Question about teaching

My suggestion is:

Do properly whatever you do. Do not be in a hurry or compromise such that your objective is ultimately not achieved.

Posted 2008-05-06 1:42 PM (#107090 - in reply to #107066)

Best answered by Ashtanga teachers themselves I suppose, of which I am not one.
So the specifics of your inquiry I cannot touch upon.
However there are a few other elements in your text.

The first is that I find there to be a lack of integrity when a teacher teaches something they themselves cannot or do not do. In some cases that is full blown as a teacher not doing asana but teaching it (yes, sadly that does happen). Other times it is more subtle as teachers teach a pose they have not done because it is part of a series. I am not suggesting that the teacher must perfect the pose. I am suggesting that bringing this or that into one's own body is an important, perhaps critical, element in imparting it to others. There are some exceptions of course.

The second thing is this bit about an "unfortunate body". There is no such thing. Each vessel is unique for the soul that travels within it. It is only our perception that erroneously says these arms are too short, this belly is to big, that nose is not symmetrical. My point is that you have a perfect body. The affirmation that is is NOT so will merely be a self-fulfilling prophecy and thus limit your growth.

Relative to timing of training, I believe it takes some time to become a good teacher - presuming one has the right stuff in the first place. If you are willing to cultivate your language, your communication, your patience, your ability to look and see, hear and listen, and you learn to leave your stuff outside the studio and bring your mind into the body for sharing yoga AND you commit to setting aside your ego in teaching...then you'll be a fine teacher. Consider the longer course that will give you the time to assimilate the wisdom being shared.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-05-06 1:42 PM
Phil
Posted 2008-05-06 2:11 PM (#107093 - in reply to #107066)

Hi Jessica,
If you "legally" want to be an Ashtanga yoga teacher there's only one way.
You have to train with the Ashtanga yoga research institute in Mysore India.
I'm not suggesting you do this but it's the only legal certification there is.

There are two levels of certification.
(1) A blessing to teach:
This requires you to have mastered the series primary and intermediate, practised with the institute roughly at least 3 times for 3 months at a time. this, if told so, will give you the right to teach the primary series.

(2) A certification to teach:
This requires mastering the advanced A. and practicing the advanced B with the institute. This could take 10 to 20 years. This gives you the right to teach up to an advanced level.
Not many people do this but if you want to say I'm a qualified teacher of Ashtanga it's the only way, sorry
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 8:12 AM (#208690 - in reply to #107066)

Regular

Please refer the link given below which provides instructions to become a certified yoga instructor.

http://www.dart-creations.com/business-tree/health/become_a_yoga_instructor.html

Edited by roypotter 2011-06-16 8:15 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)