YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching without props
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

phreerose
Posted 2008-05-15 11:26 AM (#107362)
Subject: Teaching without props

I'm a relatively new teacher and I just took on a corporate yoga class. The class is mostly beginners and the company provided them with mats,but no other props.

However I'm really struggling in terms of teaching beginners without the use of props. Any suggestions/resources?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-05-15 11:30 AM (#107363 - in reply to #107362)
Subject: RE: Teaching without props

I never learned asana with props; trying to teach with those use to props is my problem. To do so, I attended a few Iyenger classes and read books and checked out videos. You can probably do similar but in reverse to see how to get by without them. Hit a Bikram class.

I've bought a few blocks and belts to use as necessary for folks. You could do similar while encouraging the class to get their own.

jeansyoga
Posted 2008-05-15 12:11 PM (#107366 - in reply to #107362)

Office chairs can be an invaluable tool, use them in place of blocks (or in place of a stack of blocks) for steadying purposes in standing poses. They're also very helpful for restorative poses - resting the head in forward bend, etc. Corporate folks really need stress relief, they love soothing poses!!

Whenever I've taught out in the community, there were not props available, so I bought a ton of old neckties at garage sales and used them as straps. They work just as well (for many poses), and depending on the necktie, often make people laugh - the gaudier the better!

Once you've become in tune with this specific group and with the items that might be available on-site, you will find there are more options than you might expect. Be creative! This will also encourage the students to use their own surroundings to further their personal practices, rather than feeling limited by having to purchase lots of "yoga stuff."

Good luck, and have fun!

Posted 2008-05-15 12:28 PM (#107368 - in reply to #107362)

Tough spot and I know the feeling very well.
But I think the answer is fairly clear.
You either become creative with what is available or you amend what you teach.

I struggled with Sarvangasana in those venues without blankets of foam pads. Simply put, I do not teach it in those places without appropriate props.

Now I try not to take on those teaching assignments where I place myself in this conundrum.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-05-15 12:56 PM (#107369 - in reply to #107362)

At one of the gyms where I teach, they have no props at all, not even mats. Luckily the classes tend to be small (6 or less), so I bring my own props. I have a bag that I can fit about a dozen 4" foam blocks or a half a dozen blankets (but not both, unfortunately), and can usually manage a couple spare mats in my arms as I trudge up the stairs to the room. Most of the regulars do know to bring their own mats, but I've subbed other classes there where people didn't know and just didn't have.

The other facility where I teach, they have props, but the classes get large and many times there aren't enough to go around. Needless to say, I've yet to teach shoulderstand at either of these facilities. It's really tough for a new teacher starting out, especially when you're excited to teach how you yourself have learned, and then get stopped dead in your tracks due to simple logistics and circumstances. I choose to take those challenges as my own Yoga, and then deal with them as I can.

hnia
Posted 2008-05-15 3:39 PM (#107376 - in reply to #107362)

You can be their prop. Learn the adjustments and help them out...

tourist
Posted 2008-05-15 7:08 PM (#107390 - in reply to #107376)

Expert Yogi

The odd time I have taught in a situation like that, I just took along a bag of belts. I bought nylon webbing and D rings at a garage sale and whipped a bunch up. You can get that stuff at a hardware store and it is simple to make them. But ties work, too. I find I can do a lot of great stuff with just belts, and, as Jean says, chairs are fabulous. I taught a crew of dragon boaters outdoors once and just took a look around and found park benches, railings etc. that worked really well. Imagination is the key. That is what BKS Iyengar did to develop the props (when he had too many students to be their individual props) in the first place. The wood brick used to be an actual brick! I remind my students of that when they complain about the hardness of the wood.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 8:25 AM (#208691 - in reply to #107362)

Regular

Well i can only advice you to teach your students the yoga forms/poses that do not require any props until and unless you get all the essential props.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)