YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Max Strom
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Seeker101
Posted 2008-05-15 2:36 PM (#107371)
Subject: Max Strom

Veteran

I just had the pleasure of attending a two day, 4 session workshop with Max Strom. He did one asana based workshop and the others were on the power of breath, communication skills for yoga teachers (and life) and the healing power of forgiveness. He really is an amazing person who radiates acceptance, love and humility in his physical presence. One of the things that the said was that he always uses the English as well the sanskrit name of poses in his asana teaching because he feels that just sanskrit can be overwhelming to new students and make them feel that yoga is part of a "club" to which they are not welcome or to which there is some kind of entrance requirement. I found that very interesting because I did feel that the sanskrit names can make newer (and some older) students feel inadequate when they don't immediately understand what is expected of them.

My brother practices Iyengar yoga and so doesn't even know the english names of many of the poses. I think that I like the Max Strom model even though it can be confusing when there can be more than one pose called pigeon or peacock. What are others thoughts on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-05-15 3:55 PM (#107377 - in reply to #107371)
Subject: RE: Max Strom

I think that the names of the poses don't matter very much at all, in English, French or Sanskrit. The goal of every teacher (in every discipline) should be to communicate clearly and efficiently. If the use of English names for the poses is clearer and communicates better, that is the best choice. If the Sanskrit names are clearer (as in an international setting) then they should be used. The yoga student needs to learn to have fewer words in their head, not more.

I think that many teachers use Sanskrit words and anatomical terms to show off their knowledge, not to help the students find the poses in their own bodies. My goal as a teacher is for the students to leave class saying "look what I found out about myself and my body" rather than "my teacher is really smart, even though I'm not sure that I understand what he is saying." The A-ha in hatha does not come from the words, regardless of their language.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-15 4:34 PM (#107378 - in reply to #107371)

Names of the Poses = Knowledge of Language

So, I teach Sanskrit Names of Poses in Sanskrit Class. It has nothing to do with Yoga.
tourist
Posted 2008-05-15 7:01 PM (#107389 - in reply to #107371)

Expert Yogi

I know Iyengar teachers who never use Sanskrit with beginners. Most of us use a mixture. I think it is fair to those beginners who are interested in language to go ahead and use the Sanskrit. Assuming that everyone is intimidated by it is insulting and "teaching down" I think. But then, I am one of those who is interested in language and enjoys the challenge of learning new words.

Posted 2008-05-16 12:01 AM (#107395 - in reply to #107371)

I don't use the names of the poses - english or sanskrit. I have taken classes for many years with teachers that do not use the name of the poses.

The posture will be different for everyone. I'm not sure what purpose the name serves for the person moving into and out of the posture.

Vic

Posted 2008-05-17 1:34 PM (#107448 - in reply to #107371)

I think options are a good thing. I prefer when teachers use both and it seems to be common in classes I've gone to. Why not, it's just a few extra words. The English will be more accessible sometimes but it's nice and useful for many reasons to learn and use the Sanskrit too, and this way people eventually do.

Maybe in a beginners class you don't give all the Sanskrit and are sensitive to the people in the class to decide how much is right, but can at least start working in a few of the common ones. It can certainly be done without intimidating anyone. If that's not done, what happens when the beginner becomes less of a beginner, goes and tries some other class where the Sanskrit is used more? They haven't been well served by never being made familiar with any of the Sanskrit terms.

I've seen in some more immediate classes a tendency to use both, but give the Sanskrit first, and maybe skip the English if it's obvious people don't need it. Or being faster with the English if there are less experienced people in the class that need it, maybe giving English first if it's less common pose. Watching and adjusting to the class along the way, I think that's good teaching.

Using both is useful because sometimes there are confusions with the English names. The same name can mean different things or there are multiple names for the same thing. Sanskrit names don't always solve this either but giving both can help. (I also just think the Sanskrit sounds nice and can add a nice feel to a class in some cases, plus it adds a little challenge and thing to learn for those who enjoy it.)

I've occasionally been in a class where few pose names are used, English or Sanskrit, and I don't get it. It takes so little extra time to work it in. Using the name, with a few words a teacher can say what to do or prepare for, then talk through it to fine tune or for people who don't know. With no name, sometimes a teachers description may just not click and you have to listen to it a bit before you figure out what they're trying to have you do, or if they're demonstrating maybe you have to open your eyes or twist around to see them at a point you don't want to. I don't think that is helpful.
tourist
Posted 2008-05-18 11:15 AM (#107477 - in reply to #107448)

Expert Yogi

As I ponder the reasons for why I use the Sanskrit names, I realize one of them is that my understanding of the yoga system to to teach as you have been taught. Pass the knowledge on in the same manner it has been given to you. I recall being told this in Transcendental Meditation, as well. Working on that premise, I have been taught by my teachers to use both. OTOH, when I have been with Geeta Iyengar, I don't recall her ever using the English names. I don't know what she does with beginners or what BKS might do. Actually, that is not quite right, as I know my teachers will say "Mr. Iyengar calls this pose xyz" sometimes. "Arm balance" for handstand and "elbow balance" for pincha mayurasana, for example. And personally, I find both of those English versions are very problematic. When I hear arm balance, I think of something that looks like pincha mayurasana and elbow balance - well, that just sounds very Cirque de Soleil!

So, to carry this pondering a bit further, I notice that when I hear or say the name of a pose in any language, I get a picture in my head of what I think it looks like and my body probably automatically starts preparing to do what it usually wants to do in that pose. To keep things fresh and not premeditated, it might be very helpful to do a whole class with NO naming of poses, at least occasionally. Even leaving out a demo would be helpful, as students tend to shape their own bodies to the teacher's particular (or peculiar!) body habits as well. I think every teacher here has had students who would even scratch their nose if the teacher did it.

Anyway, much to think about from this thread. Thanks all!
browntoes
Posted 2008-05-18 2:11 PM (#107483 - in reply to #107371)

Interesting topic. As a teacher, I am guilty of not knowing the English names of more advanced postures. I know the Sanskrit very well. I teach beginners by mentioning the names of some but not all of the postures in Sanskrit. By the time students have moved into more advanced classes, I think it is not only OK, but important that I teach the names of the asanas in Sanskrit and if possible, when I want to help them hold a challenging pose, I will tell a little story of how the pose was named or why it is beneficial. It is a great distraction and helps to keep people in the poses a little longer.

As a student, I wish they would call out the names in Sanskrit so that I could get into the pose without waiting for all the instructions to come down the pipeline. In mixed classes, it would be nice if I could get into the pose and hold it for as long as possible, but sometimes, I have to wait until all the instructions are given to the beginners before it clicks "ah, we are doing xyz pose." I am trying to look at this as an exercise in patience. I tend to rush ahead if I know what pose is coming. My bad.

My peeve at the moment is teachers who cannot pronounce the Sanskrit and just mumble their way through it. "Ok, now we are doing URDVA mufmmmbleASANA.....I cant get into the posture because I dont know what you said I know that it isnt easy for some people to learn new languages. I suppose it irks me because I did take the time to study Sanskrit (bloody difficult!) not that I can read or write it anymore....not that I ever really could but I sure can pronounce it.

I think it is one of those westernizing yoga things. This brings up a key point for me with all yoga teachers. We must remember that not all students are wired the same way -some will learn verbally, some aurally and some kinaesthetically. (sp?) At the end of the day - I will say it in ten languages, sign it, draw a picture and demo if it will get my students to embrace yoga.
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-24 3:48 PM (#113885 - in reply to #107371)
Subject: Re: Max Strom

I use English and Sanskrit names. With continuing students I may rely more on Sanskrit as they become familiar with the names.

As you said sometimes english can be confusing as there may be more than one asana with that name.

Some yogic terms (inded the word "yoga" itself) do not easily translate, and I find it easier to teach many concepts and techniques from yoga, using the sanskrit word. For me, it also honors the tradition to incorporate the Sanskrit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)