YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for the Teachers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-21 10:51 AM (#107661)
Subject: Question for the Teachers

I'm in a bit of an odd situation work wise (my regular day job as a software/hardware systems engineer) as I finish my yoga teacher training. I am finding that I *LOVE* teaching yoga. I am just so energized after a class, all smiles, and just very "aahhhhh". I have a few options open to me (or that can be made open to me ;) ) staying in an engineering job, either where I work or at a new employer, or I could go to full time teaching. I have the luxury of being able to teach out of my home (my living room is large/open enough for it), so I don't necessarily have to go looking for subbing or teaching jobs around Seattle (which might be challenging ;) ), and can offer the small classes that I really enjoy teaching so much. It may be partly fear/uncertainty holding me back, or just the old love I used to have for being to actually do engineering (not like I get to... yay over/micor- management ) that I don't want to give up just yet.

Anywhoo... that long winded context explanation gets me to my question:

For those of you are teaching, tell me about your experience with choosing to go full time, choosing to not go full time, making a choice and then decided it was the right one or wrong one, and what sort of experiences you encountered along your path. I know there's a potential for loneliness and schedule disparities if I'm teaching and my friends all work regular 8-5 schedules (but they don't, silly software engineers ), and I'm not in a position where I have to be totally self-supporting, as my husband and I have done the calculations, and assuming that I have moderate success finding students (which I appear to be doing, just in practice teaching), it should be financially doable. But I'd like to know more about your experiences, if you're willing to share.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-05-21 11:11 AM (#107662 - in reply to #107661)
Subject: RE: Question for the Teachers

It's not really about me. It's about what your svadharma is. If you've identified it, and it is teaching yoga, then pursue that with great zeal. As long as it IS your dharma then the rest is insignificant - too many student's, not enough, etc.

I personally work an "irregular" schedule and I don't miss anyone at all. But I would not chose to go full time teaching or not based on my friend's schedule or the potential for missing them. Just come back to what is the purpose for you being here.

I did not realize you were here in Seattle. I know a couple of people for whom small studio work has been very fulfilling, both for them and their students.

If you are unfamiliar with finding your dharama, that is you tend to use mental or vital energies as decision-drivers then the concept would be alien to you. In that case you'd have to "choose" pragmatically. What a bummer that is.

It's never the wrong choice. It's just another set of experiences.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-21 12:12 PM (#107668 - in reply to #107662)

I appreciate the input, and thought I'd respond to the points you make in particular.

While it's not about you, or any other person in particular, I like to go into decisions informed. So, in this case, I've got information on how I enjoy teaching in the environment I'm in, I've got information on some of the alternate jobs I'm looking at, I've got information on financial situations, and I'm looking for more information about other people's experiences. That's not going to be how I decide - "person X, Y, and Z had this happen, hence I can do A". That wouldn't be very logical. But it's just one more little piece of the puzzle.

For me - and this is something I've come to learn over time and working long, long hours - I'm a social being. Not being able to interact with my friends will negatively affect my contentment (the curse of the extrovert ), so it must be a consideration for me, if I'm going to keep the big picture in mind. I think I'm non-unfamiliar with finding my way, but I'm no more expert than most people, and "going with my gut" (as it were ) requires, for me, information input and consideration. I'm hoping that the replies here will give me more things for my brain (mostly my sub-conscious, this is definitely something I'll be sleeping on) to munch on and synthesize for my situation.

In the end, I think it really is my nature and my duty to myself, to be a pragmatist. (I don't really find it to be a bummer, though. ;) ) As you note, there's not really a 'wrong' choice; that's not a worry. (Well, getting into a situation where I lose my house is a worry - not an end of the world worry, but something to try to avoid. There are pragmatic concerns in the world, no matter how much we want to be non-attached. I can't - make that, choose not to - operate truly as a being of one when I'm married.)

It's still a useful view, and I'll take it into consideration.

Posted 2008-05-21 12:28 PM (#107669 - in reply to #107661)

i think that you have to carefully weigh your economic realities. what bills do you have? how long can you support yourself without any or with very small/limited income?

a friend of mine is retiring soon (he's also a programmer). he decided that he would retire when his house is paid off. he has very few bills, and his retirement is good and secure and can cover him for many years. the "pay cut" of going to full time teaching isn't a bad thing, this can cover his 'daily expenses' and his retirement can be kept safely invested for many years while he teaches. he lives very frugally.

for those who have good sized incomes and steady bills with those incomes--such as a young person like my husband--it would not be very financially savvy for him to simply move into my job. we would not be able to maintain our home lives--it would take a number of months, if not a year, to build a business up large enough to support us.

if i were required to take care of just myself (say something were to happen to ryan), then i would have to sell this place and buy a smaller place (probably a smaller condo in a different area altogether), and i would have to work more than i do now as a teacher or build my business in other ways. with a baby, too, i'd have other considerations and expenses to put to it--though i know that i would be able to support myself.

it would take a while, and luckily i'd have some income from life insurance and what not, but honestly, i would have to work harder than i do now to get things rolling in the direction of good profitability.

and i like living simply, so that's not a big problem. anyway, those are my thoughts.

Edited by zoebird 2008-05-21 12:32 PM
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-21 12:42 PM (#107671 - in reply to #107669)

I should have been clearer about that. My husband and I have looked at the financials and, once we have a little more of a cushion saved up (I'm more conservative on the numbers than he), we're in a position where I have the room to give it a go. We can, just barely, get by on his salary alone. We've even calculated what I would need to make teaching to get to a more comfortable income between the two of us, and it seems doable on a full time schedule even with small classes, but would obviously take some time to build the student base. I wouldn't be considering it if I didn't feel like there was a chance it could work financially (I grew up with a single parent in construction... I do not want to go back to that volatile of an income... thinking you're getting a stress ulcer at the age of 13 because of income.... no thank you! )

(and, given the above decision, you might be wondering - my husband seems more ready for me to go out on my own and teaching full time than I am. then again, I'm more financially risk-adverse than he is. really, just another way of saying that I'm more chicken. which isn't necessarily a good way to make a decision... )
yogabrian
Posted 2008-05-21 12:55 PM (#107674 - in reply to #107661)

I say keep you day job. Teaching yoga full time is not easy and in the beginning you will make no money. Do on the side and for the love it.

Posted 2008-05-21 1:04 PM (#107676 - in reply to #107661)

Hi Tiffany,
How long have you been teaching? How many hours per week do you teach? There is a really big difference physically, mentally and energetically between teaching 5 or 6 hours per week and teaching 20 to 30 hours per week. Also, do you really want to be a small business owner, with all it's costs, problems and rewards? (You may have zoning problems with teaching at home if it is done on a regular basis. Is your area zoned commercial?)

I also really love teaching yoga but have found that teaching three classes per week is right for me at this point in my life. I have a full time job, a family, a personal practice and other interests as well. I am planning on teaching more when I retire, but on a donation basis only, not as a business. Many things are much more enjoyable if done regularly, but not too often!

Find out for yourself how many classes per week you are comfortable with, week in and week out, and then plan accordingly. Can you quit your programming job and get another if things don't work out as planned? Can you take a "leave of absence" from your job to try this out?

If you are new to teaching, I would teach part time for a year or two to get more experience and then just let things happen. When the time is right, you will know.
Namaste,
Jim
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-21 2:08 PM (#107687 - in reply to #107661)

I suppose that's part of the problem, I have no idea how I can continue to do my regular, rather stressful 8-10 hour a day job (that does *not* have very regular hours), and teach at the same time. (Plus my outside interests.) It'd be easier if I didn't have fibro and didn't need to get *regular* nights of 8-hour sleep, but I do have a mild case, and the stress can put my body in bad straights for days, if not weeks. (I'm just starting to work into this decision, hence, I'm a waffler. )

Posted 2008-05-21 2:33 PM (#107689 - in reply to #107687)

Do you have the option of working fewer hours per week in your current engineering job or another engineering job? What about doing engineering 30 hours per week and teaching yoga 10 hours per week? Can you do contract work (engineering) at home? There are many options out there. Some are either/or and some are both/and.

I work a 37.5 hour week where other than meetings I can set my hours (Finance Director of a large non-profit social service agency), teach 3 yoga classes, teach several French horn students, play French horn professionally (several hours per week) and still have time for my family, home, daily yoga practice, daily French horn practice and other interests. I do not have TV.

Be as creative with your time as you probably are with your engineering and teaching!
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-21 2:57 PM (#107692 - in reply to #107661)

My input, simplified:

- If you can live with whatever income you get from Yoga whether it is zero or more, then go full time in Yoga Teaching.

- Else, keep the job and do teaching in the remaining time.

It is that simple.

nucleareggset - 2008-05-21 10:51 AM

I'm in a bit of an odd situation work wise (my regular day job as a software/hardware systems engineer) as I finish my yoga teacher training. I am finding that I *LOVE* teaching yoga. I am just so energized after a class, all smiles, and just very "aahhhhh". I have a few options open to me (or that can be made open to me ;) ) staying in an engineering job, either where I work or at a new employer, or I could go to full time teaching. I have the luxury of being able to teach out of my home (my living room is large/open enough for it), so I don't necessarily have to go looking for subbing or teaching jobs around Seattle (which might be challenging ;) ), and can offer the small classes that I really enjoy teaching so much. It may be partly fear/uncertainty holding me back, or just the old love I used to have for being to actually do engineering (not like I get to... yay over/micor- management ) that I don't want to give up just yet.

Anywhoo... that long winded context explanation gets me to my question:

For those of you are teaching, tell me about your experience with choosing to go full time, choosing to not go full time, making a choice and then decided it was the right one or wrong one, and what sort of experiences you encountered along your path. I know there's a potential for loneliness and schedule disparities if I'm teaching and my friends all work regular 8-5 schedules (but they don't, silly software engineers ), and I'm not in a position where I have to be totally self-supporting, as my husband and I have done the calculations, and assuming that I have moderate success finding students (which I appear to be doing, just in practice teaching), it should be financially doable. But I'd like to know more about your experiences, if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

Posted 2008-05-21 3:18 PM (#107697 - in reply to #107671)

well, the two income situation is a big difference too.

if you can move to one income comfortably, then i see no reason not to go for it. it's why i go for it, to be honest.

my husband simply doesn't want me working in an office. he sees that as a slow way to kill me, and the last thing he wants is for me to be dead.

he's willing to do office work because he can both tolerate it and he does well with the scheduling that it provides him. he does have a few outside interests, but he spends most of his off-work time doing what he is passionate about and he wants to make that his full-time gig.

i have offered to 'go to work' and do yoga part time to allow him to spend more time pursuing his dream job, but honestly, that's not a good recipe for him. having a lot to do keeps him motivated and on task, and also having to do the day job keeps him extra motivated to stay on that task because he doesn't want to do that "forever."

so, it works for him.

office work does not do well lfor me. i'd do it if i had to--i'd do anything if i had to--but if i can have him support me and work as i work now making slower progress with my business (and now with the baby coming. . .it will slow more), then it's what is best for me. and without him, i would try really hard to maintain my home as a yoga teacher, if possible.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-21 3:23 PM (#107701 - in reply to #107689)

I can't change my hours in this job. Heck, I'm going to have to change jobs just to have to not work different shifts each week. (not part of the job description! but I can change jobs within my program, to something that will keep me at the same hours, but be not shift-shifting. ) given the state of my program, getting a reduced work-week (which requires management approval) probably would dis-qualify me for this job. (there are some downsides to working for gigantic mega-corporations. )
idance
Posted 2008-05-21 3:52 PM (#107702 - in reply to #107661)

I do both jobs....I work my teaching schedule around my office job. I work for a local gym, dance studio and I have my own little studio so I can pretty much put the classes when I am able to teach them. So, i teach early morning and evening classes. Works well for me.
tourist
Posted 2008-05-21 6:58 PM (#107716 - in reply to #107702)

Expert Yogi

I like having my day job plus teaching. I like the variety, I like the stability and I like my co-workers in each environment. I work 9 - 3 M - F and teach 5 classes per week, one in my home studio. I would strongly suggest that you try teaching at home for a good long test to see how it works sharing your space. My studio is in the basement, so before Mr. Tourist came to class, he could sit upstairs and watch basketball or come and go from other activities without any disruption. Actually, when he was building kayaks in the garage they really noticed the noise, but apparently when he was sanding them, the class enjoyed the buzz of the sander during savasana. Anyway, as someone who has done other things inside the main portion of my home (child care, for one) it can be a major energy drain, so that is a big consideration. On the upside, I used to keep my living area a lot tidier then!
isimplicity
Posted 2008-05-22 3:59 PM (#107761 - in reply to #107661)

I've been teaching along with a full-time work and a freelance work for 1.5 years by now. Simultaneous works demand more awereness from your side to the practice and the teaching. I plan to give up the day job and continue on freelance+teaching in several months.

I agree with previous posts, you should be aware that 30 hrs/week teaching is not the same as 6-8 hours/week + your individual practice. It can harm you if you run into it unprepared.

As for financial side of my teaching, I don't want yoga to be my main money sourse; at least now when I have several ambitions and needs like a bigger house or travelling or anything else. It makes my motivation pure and lighter; simply giving and helping and nothing else.

Good luck :)

Posted 2008-05-22 4:20 PM (#107762 - in reply to #107761)

isimplicity - 2008-05-22 12:59 PM

It makes my motivation pure and lighter; simply giving and helping and nothing else.

Good luck

This is a really good point. If you are dependent on teaching yoga for the income, your perspective is a lot different than if you are just doing it for fun and to help others. Teaching yoga for a living or running a yoga studio can be stressful in many circumstances. Teaching for the joy of the poses and sharing that joy with others can be a major stress reducer.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-22 4:57 PM (#107765 - in reply to #107661)

I think that, for now, I will keep a day job. But the one I have at the moment will have to go. When I will be alternating every other week between first shift and second shift, at least for some days, and I won't know until the week before, I simply won't be able to have any sort of schedule for teaching. (Especially if occasionally, I randomly have to work third shift instead!)

So, new job time. Ugh.

Posted 2008-05-22 5:18 PM (#107768 - in reply to #107765)

Remember to do some deep breathing before your interviews!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)