YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feedback please?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shesupsidedown
Posted 2008-05-28 2:11 AM (#107926)
Subject: Feedback please?

Hello!
I am opening a low cost community oriented yoga studio in the next month. I am in the process of hiring teachers and wanted to get some opinions on the pay I will be offering!
I am a certified yoga teacher myself although I have primarily chosen to teach out of my home for numerous reasons. I have contacted other studios and past teachers for input on pay but since our purpose is to keep class costs affordable ($6 per class) I also need to be reasonable about what I can offer. We are considering non-profit status in the future.
I am considering a base rate of $25 per class up to 6 students. For experienced teachers: $2 per student over 6 up to 20, then $2.50 above that. For less experienced teachers: $1 per student above 6 up to 20, then $1.50 after that.
Any input would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-05-28 3:11 AM (#107928 - in reply to #107926)
Subject: RE: Feedback please?

Well that is certainly one way to structure your payroll.
The framework of it is commonly used.
If that is the type of structure you select for your business (over perhaps a flat rate or a pure head count) then that's great.

However, after that you need to determine what you can pay that you can also afford.
I don't want to assume you've crafted a business plan. Some do, others do not. I do recommend it.
IN that way you can calculate your fixed and variable costs in alignment with your break even numbers and determine what is actually available to pay.

I mean if you get six people in a class (gross $36) can you really afford a payout of $25? That means it must coast you less than $11 to stage a class, assuming you want a profit on it. Calculate your cost per class. You'll know more when you do.
shesupsidedown
Posted 2008-05-28 5:32 AM (#107930 - in reply to #107926)

Yes I have done a business plan and financial analysis...and according to my numbers I will be able to afford it. I have basically set the studio up with virtually no overhead costs. I lucked out and got an amazing space in a very desirable, high traffic neighborhood for reasonable rent...and it needs hardly any work, just a floor.
I believe we wont have any problem filling classes although I was VERY conservative with my numbers in my business plan to be prepared for the worst. Teachers of course make a lot more the more students they bring in.
I guess I was just wondering if you thought that was a good pay rate...I would like to attract teachers that not only are aligned with our purpose but have experience as well.
Thanks for your response!!
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-28 12:44 PM (#107951 - in reply to #107926)

The only problem I see with this sort of pay structure is that it encourages competition between your teachers. That means you will have to pay some more attention to how your teachers deal with each other. It would not be good for your studio if you end up with a teacher who is trying to steal students from another teacher to increase his/her income.

There was a Petsmart nearby that offers dog training. When I signed my dog up for a puppy class, the teacher from the other class called me and tried to encourage me to take classes on her night. The teachers were paid based on class size, and she was really just trying to increase her income at the expense of the other teacher. As a result, the two teachers didn't speak to each other, and they were less than helpful to students in the other teacher's classes. Ultimately, the situation caused me to go to another dog trainer altogether.

I'm not saying that this sort of thing will happen in your studio. But the pay structure encourages it, and it is something to consider. I'd like to think that yogis are above that sort of thing, but...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)