YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for YA RYT's
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

roxygirl
Posted 2008-06-01 11:33 PM (#108084)
Subject: Question for YA RYT's

I'll be taking my 200- hour Yoga Alliance RYT TT in Novemberish. I just wanted to know ahead of time if there is anything I should study or be reading that is part of this cirriculium (sp?). Ie...poses, certain books, anything! I haven't paid for it yet so was not sure if you get a book that comes with the YA TT or what to expect fully. But any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Roxy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-06-02 12:16 AM (#108085 - in reply to #108084)
Subject: RE: Question for YA RYT's

It varies from training to training. Yoga Alliance registers a number of different cirriculums; the sum total of what is taught just needs to meet their requirements. That means that the book requirements may be different depending on the program and the methodology may be a bit different. I just finished my YogaWorks training and they had a very specific approach. You should definitely call the group offering your specific training and get some information from them. (Some trainings come with the books, some don't, so it's all the more reason to ask the one that you're doing.)

Posted 2008-06-02 1:10 AM (#108086 - in reply to #108084)

Hello Roxy,

I'll merely add to Tiffany's reply above since she's already hit the highlights.

You may get anything you want. After all, it's yoga you've committed to sharing with others (by enrolling in a teacher training). So even if the Bhagavad Gita is not on the "required list" of the training you are taking you cannot go wrong delving into its beauty. Likewise the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Swami Satchidananda) or the discourses offered by Isherwood in How to Know God.

In my mind it would also be appropriate to begin to learn the sanskrit names of the poses. So perhaps a CD with pronunciations or perhaps just looking through Light on Yoga (BKS Iyengar) will pour that into your cranium. Again, even if your particular 200-hour program does not require it, one can still make a case that it is important to study.

Also a basic anatomy book might be helpful. There are many but the Anatomy Coloring Book is a nice start - and fun too!
roxygirl
Posted 2008-06-02 11:21 AM (#108090 - in reply to #108084)

Cool! I'm looking into Ashtanga/Vinyasa yoga. But its the certain things I like to know ahead of time ...like the anatomy book tip! That helps and I think that will be my challenge (serious memorization)! So thank you for the information.
jeansyoga
Posted 2008-06-05 3:34 PM (#108174 - in reply to #108084)

I second all of Purnayoga's suggestions! Nearly any curriculum will recommend that you read the Gita, Sutras, and know lots about anatomy. As far as learning the Sanskrit for each pose, there is a good book called "The Language of Yoga" that includes a CD. It is laid out pretty well and makes it easier to comprehend as opposed to just memorize.

In addition to the Anatomy Coloring Book (which is much more informative and less recreational than it sounds), there is a good one out called "Yoga Anatomy" that illustrates (in color) the muscles involved in a wide variety of asanas. I just got it and I really like it! It is very easy to understand and extremely interesting.

Since you're interested in Ashtanga style, you'll definitely want David Swenson's book. It is a very good guide to all the poses involved in the traditional series. You'll probably also want some kind of poster or other easy-to-reference guide to the flow of the Primary Series (or more, but Primary at a minimum). If you currently have an Ashtanga teacher, ask him/her about favorite books they might recommend to you!

Posted 2008-06-05 7:55 PM (#108179 - in reply to #108084)

Beware the book that has sound anatomy but knows nothing of yoga at all.
roxygirl
Posted 2008-06-07 12:28 AM (#108210 - in reply to #108084)

Thanks Jeansyoga! I got some reading to do!! I do like what you said about everything. Purana..I love the site teamyoga.com ...that's cool stuff you're doing. I digs!

Loves
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)