YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Staying motivated
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

Shakuhachi
Posted 2008-06-08 4:23 PM (#108228)
Subject: Staying motivated

How can I stay motivated with the hatha and meditation? I have been doing both on and off for over 30 years. I already realize that it is the most important apect of my life but still I take too many vacations from it all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-08 8:10 PM (#108231 - in reply to #108228)
Subject: RE: Staying motivated

Thanks. This is a very important question. You have various options to stay motivated. The best option is frequenting the company of those who are better than you. Frequenting, not meeting once a week for 30 min. The second best option is to read the writings of the ones whom you respect. Not reading Yoga Exercise books, but reading the lives of those whom you respect a lot. You must respect them yourself, not reading books with curiosity. And, then finally, you must resolve to attain certain practice level.

Best Luck. Om ShantiH.

Shakuhachi - 2008-06-08 4:23 PM

How can I stay motivated with the hatha and meditation? I have been doing both on and off for over 30 years. I already realize that it is the most important apect of my life but still I take too many vacations from it all.
Shakuhachi
Posted 2008-06-11 11:25 PM (#108336 - in reply to #108231)

I am currently reading Sri Aurobindo but I am also thinking if subscribing to Yoga Journal. I did years ago and it seemed to help.

kulkarnn - 2008-06-10 7:10 PM

Thanks. This is a very important question. You have various options to stay motivated. The best option is frequenting the company of those who are better than you. Frequenting, not meeting once a week for 30 min. The second best option is to read the writings of the ones whom you respect. Not reading Yoga Exercise books, but reading the lives of those whom you respect a lot. You must respect them yourself, not reading books with curiosity. And, then finally, you must resolve to attain certain practice level.

Best Luck. Om ShantiH.
tourist
Posted 2008-06-12 10:22 AM (#108340 - in reply to #108336)

Expert Yogi

Pete - traditional reading is good, but I think Yoga Journal will not be a bit inspiring to someone who has been practicing for 30 years. I find the emphasis it now has on spas and clothing to be very depressing, frankly. To the OP - I am thinking that someone like me, who has practiced only about a third of the time you have, will not have any words of wisdom for you. You likely know a lot more about yoga and certainly know a great deal more about yourself than I do. FWIW, I did mention to a student recently that we learn as much by not doing yoga as we learn by doing yoga. Sometimes, a break brings clarity.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-12 10:23 AM (#108341 - in reply to #108336)

Very good. As long as you are able to revere the work from the bottom of your heart, not just curiosity or intellectual discussion, you shall get what you need.

Shakuhachi - 2008-06-11 11:25 PM

I am currently reading Sri Aurobindo but I am also thinking if subscribing to Yoga Journal. I did years ago and it seemed to help.

kulkarnn - 2008-06-10 7:10 PM

Best Luck. Om ShantiH.

Posted 2008-06-12 4:31 PM (#108351 - in reply to #108228)

Are your asana and meditation practices repetitive? Are you approaching them new and fresh each day instead of simply repeating the same old pattern? Do you view your practices as opportunities to experience the unknown, or do you do them out of duty? Are you trying to get or achieve something known, or are you trying to discover something unknown?

You have the answers. I hope that these questions help in some small way.

Edited by jimg 2008-06-12 4:32 PM
Shakuhachi
Posted 2008-06-12 7:15 PM (#108355 - in reply to #108228)

Great comments everyone. Giving me some things to think about. Basic problem may be laziness (I know there is a yoga term for that as an obsticle). Much easier just to plop down and watch TV or read a book after coming home from work.

Two things go on in mediation:
1. It takes at least 20 minutes to get to inner stillness which is great but at times doesn't seem worth it or it is so powerful I need a break from it. I haven't meditated for a few weeks now.

2. I fall asleep

30 years of this cyclical style.

So now I am trying mini yoga breaks throughout the day especialy for my back, neck, legs and arms. Then maybe a few minutes of inversion at home.

Edited by Shakuhachi 2008-06-12 7:16 PM

Posted 2008-06-15 1:26 PM (#108432 - in reply to #108355)

Shakuhachi - 2008-06-12 4:15 PM

So now I am trying mini yoga breaks throughout the day especialy for my back, neck, legs and arms. Then maybe a few minutes of inversion at home.

Looks like you are doing yoga the way cats, dogs and other animals do it: on an as needed basis throughout the day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)