YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alternate nostril breathing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

viswatr
Posted 2008-06-09 4:01 AM (#108237)
Subject: Alternate nostril breathing

Hi,

After I started doing alternate nostril breathing, I observe that I perspire more.I see lot of pimp-les on my face.

Please let me know whether this happens for all the beginners and will come to normal position after some days or I am doing something wrong.

Regards

Visweswaran
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-09 9:21 AM (#108241 - in reply to #108237)
Subject: RE: Alternate nostril breathing

If you are doing something wrong, I can only tell if I can see you while doing. But, in gerneal: Alternate Nostril Breathing has NOTHING to do with a) pimples b) perspiration and c) Stress Relief.

viswatr - 2008-06-09 4:01 AM

Hi,

After I started doing alternate nostril breathing, I observe that I perspire more.I see lot of pimp-les on my face.

Please let me know whether this happens for all the beginners and will come to normal position after some days or I am doing something wrong.

Regards

Visweswaran

Posted 2008-06-09 10:20 AM (#108243 - in reply to #108237)
Subject: RE: Alternate nostril breathin

I second Neel's feedback above.
Who knows what you are doing - other than "alternate nostril breathing - since you do not elaborate on the process you are engaging AND we cannot see you. Yet another of the 1001 reasons to learn yoga from a teacher.

Nadi Shodhana is a cleansing of the nadis (obviously) and so it is unlikely that you would have pimples "from" it. Though anything is possible.
hnia
Posted 2008-06-09 12:00 PM (#108245 - in reply to #108237)

There are different ways to practice it.

FYI: I would never retain the breath on exhale unless you have years of experience.

Posted 2008-06-09 1:04 PM (#108247 - in reply to #108245)

hnia - 2008-06-09 9:00 AM

There are different ways to practice it.

FYI: I would never retain the breath on exhale unless you have years of experience.

hnia,
Why do you say "I would never retain the breath on exhale unless you have years of experience?"
Thanks,
jimg

hnia
Posted 2008-06-09 1:25 PM (#108248 - in reply to #108247)

It's dangerous to hold your breath without any oxygen. Especially after exhale.

You don't full around with advanced pranayama unless you are a master of asanas and ujjayi breathing.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-09 1:45 PM (#108249 - in reply to #108248)

I do not mean to be mean. (I want to be above mean (average)!). Years of experience in what? How will you get experience of years for holding out, without holding out? Only experience in Holding Breath Out shall be most useful to developing capability to Hold The Breath Out.

Actually, holding breath out is less dangerous thant holding it in. I mean out of the two. And, I am telling from Years of Experiences!!!

hnia - 2008-06-09 1:25 PM

You don't full around with advanced pranayama unless you are a master of asanas and ujjayi breathing.

hnia
Posted 2008-06-09 2:13 PM (#108252 - in reply to #108249)

I have no idea what you really mean. And what I do understand, I disagree with. Perhaps instead of being "clever" you could explain your simple views on basic pranayama.
And, no if you ask me to pay, don't bother...
From what I've read and been taught. (I consider Iyengar an expert on the subject.)

It is much more dangerous to retain the breath after exhale and its common knowledge in the yoga world to learn to retain on inhale 1st and then move to retain on exhale. First you learn Ujjayi. When that is perfected you begin to pause in-between on inhale. When that is good, you move.

Plus, we don't even know if he/she is retaining the breath. All we know is that he/she is doing alt/nostral.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-09 5:13 PM (#108260 - in reply to #108252)

Darling hnia: I thank you for calling me 'clever' eventhough perhaps you mean otherwise. But, let us not qualify our personalities and get along with topic of discussion directly. I should not comment on you as personality until I know you that well. Please see ===> below.

hnia - 2008-06-09 2:13 PM

I have no idea what you really mean.

===> This is great. And, you should ask which portion of my statement is not to you in terms of what I mean.

And what I do understand, I disagree with.

===> Please explain what you understand that you disagree with more specifically.

Perhaps instead of being "clever" you could explain your simple views on basic pranayama.

===> Basic views on Pranayama. Pranayama is a Yoga practice that pre-dates Yoga Asanas. That means all the asanas what we called by this term and practice as Yoga Exercise in Gyms, etc. are not needed for getting into Pranayama practice. Pranayama practice is to be done NOT for for physical health reasons. It is a practice that is done for one to prepare one for meditative practices. Obtaining stability of Asana for Pranayama has nothing to do with stability in postures such as Headstand, or Bridge pose or any poses in the Ashtaga Yoga Style exercise. The only posture that is required for Pranayama is a Stable and Comoftable sitting posture and healthy respiratory system. But, above all what is needed is: Peace of Mind, Discipline of behavior, Control over tongue, Suitability of environment in which peaceful surroundings, moderation of diet, stress free environment (Thus, Stress Free - ness is prequalification of Pranayama and NOT a result). In this I am talking of Pranayama. And, NOT breathing exercises.

For all above, I am not going to charge you. I charge only for private classes and Teacher Training. All other classes are Pay What You Wish. However, since you are a serious student as per my observation, I suggest you study the following classical and reliable text to see whether what I wrote above is true:

- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (chapter 2) : sthira sukhamaasanam.. tato dvandvaanabhighaataH.. tasmin sati shvaasaprashvaasayor gativichchedaH praanaayaamaH... satu baahyaabhyantara stamhavrutirdeshakaalasankhyaabhiH paridrushto deerghasukshmaH... bahyaabhyant....

tataH kshiyate prakaashaavaranam

- Hathayogapradipika

- ETC.

Anyway, initially, I gave you what is prequalification of Pranayama. The above verses from Yoga Sutras which are definitely respected in the Yoga Community including the teachers you quoted, define it as Manipulation of inhalation, exhalation and holding. That is all. Why are we doing this:

NOT for health or stress relief. It is for improvig the quality of mind for meditation. tataH kshiiyate prakaashaavaranaM.

And, no if you ask me to pay, don't bother...

===> Payment is covered above.

From what I've read and been taught. (I consider Iyengar an expert on the subject.)

===> I would like to know whether you personally studied with respected Iyengar Guruji. Please read his book again. The book is not written for any common perrson to read. And, reading book is not the method suggested for learning pranayama in that very book. It is a reference for those who already know. For example, myself.

It is much more dangerous to retain the breath after exhale and its common knowledge in the yoga world to learn to retain on inhale 1st and then move to retain on exhale. First you learn Ujjayi. When that is perfected you begin to pause in-between on inhale. When that is good, you move.
===> Is this knowledge you got from the Iyengar Guruji's book?

Plus, we don't even know if he/she is retaining the breath. All we know is that he/she is doing alt/nostral.

===> My "Retaining Breath Comments" are on your post, not on the original post.My comments on Original Post are very simple and they are true. You can personally verify them with Mr. Iyengar or Mr. Pattabhi Jois.

Posted 2008-06-09 5:21 PM (#108261 - in reply to #108248)

hnia - 2008-06-09 10:25 AM

What is the danger? Why and how is lack of oxygen different after exhale than after inhale?
hnia
Posted 2008-06-10 9:35 AM (#108291 - in reply to #108261)

Well, after you inhale you are bringing fresh oxygen into the lungs. So, learning to pause there is a natural step. Once that pause if perfected, say every 4th breath.
This is why you are not at much risk for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoventilation

For Neel:

Even what you wrote follows this logic: inhale and exhale and holds...

Posted 2008-06-10 6:02 PM (#108299 - in reply to #108291)

The only possible risk from holding your breath (on inhale or exhale) is that you pass out and automatically start breathing normally again.
asananow
Posted 2008-06-12 5:01 AM (#108337 - in reply to #108237)

Speaking from my own personal experience, alternate nostril breathing is very calming for stress as it balances both hemispheres of the brain as well as the energy channels through the chakras. 

I was taught to hold on the inhale (by a qualified teacher, a yogiraj).  There are many variations so no one way is right in all circumstances, which is why a teacher is so important.  For my home practice I rarely do the breath hold.  It is less comfortable and I don't have my teacher nearby.  With pranayama my preference is to stay simple and with what I know.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)