YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plank pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

burtie
Posted 2008-06-20 11:54 AM (#108571)
Subject: Plank pose

Hi all,

Probably a simple problem, but I am having an issue with the plank pose. Just as I roll forward from the underneath of my toes to the tops to go into upward dog I just crash to the floor. I guess that my arms and chest are not strong enough yet.

Any suggestions?

I have just started to do press-ups to see if that helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-06-20 12:45 PM (#108572 - in reply to #108571)
Subject: RE: Plank pose

Try lowering your thighs to the floor before going into up dog. As soon as you have the strength, keep them off the floor.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-06-20 2:02 PM (#108576 - in reply to #108571)

Isn't there a pose in between plank and upward facing dog, namely chaturanga dandasana? As I've learned it, there's a full in-breath to move into plank, a full out-breath as you lowe and hover in chaturanga, and then a full in-breath once more as you move forward and up into upward facing dog (or cobra pose). Having the knees on the floor for chaturanga isn't cheating, as long as you keep the shoulders level with the elbows and the chest open.
hnia
Posted 2008-06-20 2:39 PM (#108579 - in reply to #108571)

You're probably letting the shoulders ride up to the ears. Hold your shoulders back!

Posted 2008-06-20 9:23 PM (#108583 - in reply to #108571)

This is likely a biomechanical issue and should be addressed by the person you have selected to be your teacher.
Nick
Posted 2008-06-22 2:26 AM (#108604 - in reply to #108571)

Hi Burtie,
This is an extremely common fault in astanga yoga-or at least, students often find ways of getting this part of the sun salute less than perfectly.
In my opinion,a big factor is that to start, you are in a press-up position, and that for many people, upward dog is then just a press-up gone wrong-i.e. they have simply allowed their hips and torsos to extend. But in a press-up, you stay on the balls of the feet-from chaturanga dandasana, you roll over your feet to achieve upward dog. In many people, the altered geometry does not fit the lengths that are created-you often see a painful or clumsy movement in either the feet, low back, or shoulders.
One answer is to get rid of the notion of the press-up, and instead try to pull yourself forwards over the floor, so that you are not pushing downwards, which re-arranges the upward dog pose-also, the shoulder blades are then pulled down the back as you pull yourself in to upward dog-if your shoulders are hitting the floor, then your shoulder blades are almost certainly rising upwards.
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)