YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

running??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

freckleface
Posted 2008-06-24 10:38 AM (#108645)
Subject: running??

Hi...I gave up running for my practice a couple years ago. Lately I miss running on the trails and am wondering if anyone has experience working running back into the routine w/out ending up w/mangled hips/knees/hamstrings what have you...
I have started making progress w/eka pada- but figure I cant live in fear of my practice...right??
Please share thoughts !
peace
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-24 10:55 AM (#108646 - in reply to #108645)
Subject: RE: running??

I know quite a few fantastic Yoga Practitioners who do running with enjoyment and NON injury. I myself do not run, but enjoy walking on the trails. I suggest that: you take up running in a way, you can get your aerobic enjoyment, scenic enjoyment, and without getting to any competition and injuries.

freckleface - 2008-06-24 10:38 AM

Hi...I gave up running for my practice a couple years ago. Lately I miss running on the trails and am wondering if anyone has experience working running back into the routine w/out ending up w/mangled hips/knees/hamstrings what have you...
I have started making progress w/eka pada- but figure I cant live in fear of my practice...right??
Please share thoughts !
peace
hnia
Posted 2008-06-24 12:35 PM (#108652 - in reply to #108645)

most of the ashtanga students that run do have tighter hamstrings and the ones that do spin class tend to have tighter hips.

Swimming seems like the most compatable thing.

I think you would be fine running but you would have to stretch those legs after the run.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-06-24 12:43 PM (#108653 - in reply to #108645)

Neel said it three times, so he must've meant it, .

I run, though not on trails. I run on the paved bike paths in our county park, so it's as close to being out in the woods that feels safe for me. I've only ever run in one race, which I opted to label "a running event" because the sense of competition didn't appeal to me.

I apply all of the alignment and Yoga principles to my running, and while I'm not THAT strong a runner (20 mpw max), I find my yoga teaching (and practice) is inspired by what I encounter in myself as I run. While it's not a substitute for seated meditation nor asana practice, it does help to balance all of me out.

And due to the therapeutic style of yoga that I practice (Anusara), I've found that whatever injuries I might be susceptible to from running, I have the tools to keep myself free of injury.

The only difficulty I've found is finding the time for both practices. (Yes, I consider my running a "practice", on a par with asana.) But that's just a matter of self-discipline and maintaining enthusiasm (again, the practice of Yoga).

Good luck!

tourist
Posted 2008-06-24 7:00 PM (#108660 - in reply to #108653)

Expert Yogi

Here's the thing about running - if you decide to run again, run like a yogi, not like a runner. If you were a serious runner, I think you will understand this.

For those who are not serious runners, a translation: no goals (speed or distance), no score keeping (logs, journals, etc.) no comparisons (with friends or self), no running in foul weather (unless you like it), no eliminating, putting off or "accidentally" forgetting family, friends and other commitments for a run, no running through pain....Oh, I think I could go on and on and ON!!! Run in places you enjoy when you have time and energy. Come home and talk about the trees, birds, weather, scenery. Have a shower and a beer (beer optional, shower not) and smile at your family and tell them how great running makes you feel. That's running like a yogi.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-06-24 9:57 PM (#108664 - in reply to #108660)

Tourist, you're right about the no goals thing. Run because you want to, not because you have to. That's my only goal in running.
freckleface
Posted 2008-06-25 12:46 AM (#108667 - in reply to #108660)

wow...you had my number!
i did run today slowly (i think) and I had fun and it was nice.
Excellent way to think of it "run like a yogi" and not let my crazy past running brain take over. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!
tourist
Posted 2008-06-25 10:01 AM (#108671 - in reply to #108667)

Expert Yogi

marron - so often it is "takes one to know one" but in my case it is "takes being married to one to know one." Ask me about sailing, cycling, trekking, swimming, kayaking, ballroom dancing (yes, he has overdone the dancing thing enough now to have injured a foot!). He has a long way to go before he gets that obsessive about yoga, but I will not be even slightly surprised if it happens...
jpk
Posted 2008-06-25 12:51 PM (#108678 - in reply to #108645)

freckleface - 2008-06-24 3:38 PM

I have started making progress w/eka pada...
peace

What you're running on one foot??
Kidding aside, google for chirunning. Injury-free is the proposed result.
(but get the first edition if poss. The second is inferior print, quality and size)

All the best,
John

Posted 2008-06-25 1:36 PM (#108681 - in reply to #108660)

Why just run like a yogi? Do everything you do like a yogi! If you don't, you are the yoga equivalent of a "weekend warrior" or a now and then hobbyist.

I don't mean following some sort of rules or whatever as that only adds unnessary stress and tension and puts the focus on the rules instead of what you are actually doing right now. I mean doing everything with relaxation, focus, balance and attention.

I consider the yoga mat to be the place where we practice these skills in order to bring them to the rest of our lives. To use a musical metaphor: the yoga mat is the practice room; your life is the performance. After a while, this difference blends and there is only attentive experience.
tourist
Posted 2008-06-25 6:52 PM (#108689 - in reply to #108681)

Expert Yogi

jim - good advice. With runners though, they have a tendency to not be very global thinkers. Maybe it is that dedication to the one-foot-in-front-of-the-other for a long time that makes them so very linear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)