YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The ego as story teller?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Shakuhachi
Posted 2008-08-05 9:57 PM (#110077 - in reply to #110020)
Subject: RE: The ego as story teller?

jimg - 2008-08-06 1:38 PM

Shakuhachi - 2008-08-02 9:49 AM

If you have already decided that "light, expanded consciousness and bliss" are your true nature, you are not seeking your true nature but rather light, expanded consciousness and bliss. If you already know your true nature, why are you seeking it? If you don't know your true nature, you need to find it through self discovery of what actually is instead of what you would like to find.

I have heard that our true nature is "light, expanded consciousness and bliss" and I have had small glimpses of it. But I have not been firmly established in it. My life is not pervaded by light, expanded consciousness and bliss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-08-05 11:01 PM (#110079 - in reply to #110068)

Dear jimg: I am currently in a big transition due to move, etc. So, I would not be able to discuss this topic fully. But, for now:

nishshreyas is the Goal. It is NOT a way of life. Yoga Practice is the way of life that leads to the Goal of Nishshreyas. Once, Nishreyas is reached, no practice is necessary and one is in the path of non return. This is also called Liberation. After attaining Liberation, a human lives only to help others or exhaust past karmas that were accummulated in prior birhts. Once, they are exhausted, the living being is liberated from birth-death cycle. And, this NOT belief, it is reality.

But, this reality needs to be Believed for the Yoga Practice to start. I mean those who believe this practice well.

Of course, what I told above is not coming from a recent and liberal way of thinking, probably such as yours (and, there is no objection to you from me), but it is coming from historical or traditional Yoga.

jimg - 2008-08-05 4:06 PM

nishshreyas - the one which is such that there is nothing better than that

Is that a goal or a way of life?
Ram
Posted 2008-08-06 1:24 PM (#110095 - in reply to #110076)

Shakuhachi - 2008-08-05 9:54 PM

Pretty difficult to fathom consciousness that is not mental. While the mind is limited in handling mediation experience it seem like our consciousness of meditation should be able to have some staying power in the memory. Otherwise it is unconscious consciousness, which makes no sense.

I think your confusing mental activity (your mind) with consciousness. Making sense of consciousness with your mind is very difficult and confusing. Your mind doesnt understand consciousness, your mind is just a series of mental patterns conditioned over your lifetime(s).

That is why your confusion will clear up with more meditation/chanting/japa repitition. you will start to become tuned into this state.

If I could recommend a book for you it would be meditation by Swami Durgananda. Very beautiful book. Or books by Swami Mutkananda. In the beginning I understand your mind needs to be pacified to some degree. Once you really have established yourself you will not care to read much anymore. You will get everything from your practises.

Edited by Ram 2008-08-06 1:26 PM
remezsa
Posted 2008-08-17 3:08 AM (#110203 - in reply to #109769)

The mind is always in a state of restless thinking, going from one thought to another. It is a deeply embedded habit, but persistence, motivation and constant training can change this habit, and make the mind calm and obedient. It helps if you give yourself a little talk of a minute or two before starting to meditate. Tell your mind that you expect it to be silent for the duration of the meditation, and that you will think and discuss any important subject after you finish meditating. It also help if you think a moment or two about the benefits of meditation before starting to meditate. This can also make it easier to disregard thoughts that try to enter your mind during meditation. I have also found that practicing concentration exercises makes it easier to disregard intruding thoughts and keep the mind quiet.

Posted 2008-08-18 3:51 PM (#110219 - in reply to #110203)

remezsa - 2008-08-16 12:08 AM

persistence, motivation and constant training can change this habit, and make the mind calm and obedient.

===>Who is your mind obedient to?

Tell your mind that you expect it to be silent for the duration of the meditation

===>Who is telling your mind to be silent? Who knows whether or not your mind becomes silent?

Ram
Posted 2008-08-26 11:50 AM (#110258 - in reply to #110203)

remezsa - 2008-08-17 3:08 AM

The mind is always in a state of restless thinking, going from one thought to another. It is a deeply embedded habit, but persistence, motivation and constant training can change this habit, and make the mind calm and obedient. It helps if you give yourself a little talk of a minute or two before starting to meditate. Tell your mind that you expect it to be silent for the duration of the meditation, and that you will think and discuss any important subject after you finish meditating. It also help if you think a moment or two about the benefits of meditation before starting to meditate. This can also make it easier to disregard thoughts that try to enter your mind during meditation. I have also found that practicing concentration exercises makes it easier to disregard intruding thoughts and keep the mind quiet.

I'm very impressed!! This is the exact advice Swami Mutkananda offers as part of your meditation practise. That is to give a little "pep" talk to your mind. You seem to have that understanding that the mind is merely a series of conditioned thoughts that repeat themselves over and over. One of the benefits of meditation and perhaps what you can call a goal is to purify the mind of these repetitive patterns and return it to its state of consciousness.

Good luck and keep contributing!!!

Posted 2008-08-26 5:13 PM (#110262 - in reply to #110258)

I totally agree that we all need to limit the repetitive patterns of our minds or consciousness that are not working for us, but it sounds like you guys aren't getting it that "you" and "your mind" are one and the same and that there are many repetitive patterns that are necessary for life.

Thoughts do not "enter your mind", they ARE your mind. You do not have thoughts, sensations or emotions or whatever. You ARE thoughts, sensations and emotions. They are not separate, they are you. Without consciousness, there is no you. Consciousness is the electrochemical process that is the basis for the perception of being. Without the ability to be conscious, one is considered "brain dead". Consciousness is the ability to know that you are alive and aware. Although you can limit the "words in your head", you cannot limit thought as it even happens while you are asleep. Thought continues whether you are conscious or not.

Mental patterns are hard wired and can only be minimized through disuse. You can create new wiring (just like you created the existing patterns) and you can strengthen or weaken the existing wiring. Just like astronauts lose bone tissue in space because they don't need their bones to support their bodies in weightlessness or body builders build big muscles through extra use, your brain is a use it or lose it organ.

You can encourage or discourage certain patterns, but without repetitive patterns you are dead. Without repetitive mental patterns you have no knowledge, skills or memory. (These include how to breathe, how to swallow, how to walk, how to talk, how to meditate etc etc) On a purely bodily level, your heart beats and your kidneys detoxify because of repetitive patterns. You are a great series of inter-related repetitive patterns, some of which you are conscious of and many that happen automatically. The only part that you can control is what new mental circuits that you want to make and which old circuits you want to let atrophy. The fun part is that "you" and those circuits are the same thing. You are actually making yourself right now!
Ram
Posted 2008-08-27 12:02 PM (#110271 - in reply to #110262)

jimg - 2008-08-26 5:13 PM

. You ARE thoughts, sensations and emotions.

This is the purpose of being on a spiritual path and having a spiritual practise. We associate ourselves with our thought and believe the thoughts and suffer all the ramifications from this association. The ego and the mind are connected and have you believe this to be true. You are bound as a human being as long as you believe this.

Once you start to experience your own consciousness through meditation you start to EXPERIENCE that you are not these thoughts. You see them as they are. conditioned mental patterns that come and go. Seriously can you actually believe you are what goes on in your mind? Most of us would be schizophrenic if we did.

Consciousness is not science although science has tried to explain it through quantum physics. The great beings have said your true self cannot be measured by scientific instruments. Realized beings still have thought patterns but they are not identified with them. That is the difference between a "regular" person and someone who has merged with consciousness. Those of us who have followed a spirtual path and have meditated or chanted for years have had a glimpse of our true self. Our minds are becoming purified only to experienc our true self.

At some point people have to stop questioning everything and actually start practising.

Posted 2008-08-28 4:27 PM (#110296 - in reply to #110271)

Ram - 2008-08-27 9:02 AM

jimg - 2008-08-26 5:13 PM

. You ARE thoughts, sensations and emotions.

This is the purpose of being on a spiritual path and having a spiritual practise. We associate ourselves with our thought and believe the thoughts and suffer all the ramifications from this association. The ego and the mind are connected and have you believe this to be true. You are bound as a human being as long as you believe this.

===>I do not wish to comment on your personal religious beliefs and/or practices, but would like to comment on the anatomical reality of how the brain works. Your consciousness, your ego, your thoughts, your perceptions, your dreams etc are all different aspects of the basic function of your brain. Although some of these functions can be altered or eliminated through drugs or injury, a healthy individual has a healthy function of all of these. This has been scientifically proven by people injuring part of their brain and as a result losing different capacities. Examples being: the ability to make moral or ethical decisions, the ability to plan, the ability to understand language (even though one hears it perfectly), the ability to remember, the ability to recognize your body as your body, the ability to feel emotions, the ability to feel sensations, the ability to feel empathy for another etc etc etc.

Once you start to experience your own consciousness through meditation you start to EXPERIENCE that you are not these thoughts. You see them as they are. conditioned mental patterns that come and go. Seriously can you actually believe you are what goes on in your mind? Most of us would be schizophrenic if we did.

===>Without consciousness, you are not aware that you exist, think, act etc. You start to experience your own consciousness the moment that you are born. You are your thoughts just like you are your foot or your kidney. They are part of you. If your thoughts are not part of you, who are they part of? Yes, your thoughts are conditioned mental patterns that come and go. That does not make them not part of you. You are the sum total of many different parts that through the practice of yoga can work together more harmoniously.

Consciousness is not science although science has tried to explain it through quantum physics. The great beings have said your true self cannot be measured by scientific instruments. Realized beings still have thought patterns but they are not identified with them. That is the difference between a "regular" person and someone who has merged with consciousness. Those of us who have followed a spirtual path and have meditated or chanted for years have had a glimpse of our true self. Our minds are becoming purified only to experienc our true self.

===>Science is explaining what consciousness is and how it works. It is called neuroscience not quantum physics. There have been many significant breakthroughs in the last 20 years! Read "Wider than the Sky" by Nobel Prize winner Gerald Edelman if you want to know more about the nature of consciousness. There are many other wonderful books on the subject.

At some point people have to stop questioning everything and actually start practising.

===>I agree that practice is extremely important, but when you stop questioning, you are dead, a mere computer loop following the same worn path over and over. You are only really alive when you are growing and questioning is an essential part of growth.
scottaleger
Posted 2011-07-08 5:46 AM (#208877 - in reply to #108893)
Subject: Re: The ego as story teller?

This is very nice
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)