YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just Starting out
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

IYI teacher
Posted 2008-07-21 2:00 PM (#109545)
Subject: Just Starting out

Hello fellow teachers and students of Yoga,

I would really appreciate some support and advice from you teachers who are more experienced. I finished my basic teacher training through Integral Yoga just two months ago and am now stepping into the world of teaching part time (to start) here in NYC. What is the best way to get teaching jobs, where does one find them posted, and what to put on a resume for someone like me with little experience?

THanks!

Anita
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-07-21 2:31 PM (#109548 - in reply to #109545)
Subject: RE: Just Starting out

What is the best way to get teaching jobs?

the best way is to simply "hit the pavement."

make a list of various facilities that would hire yoga teachers--gyms, wellness centers, community centers, retirement villages and/or elder care facilities, spas, yoga studios, etc.

print up copies of your resume and dress nicely. go from place to place and ask to speak with whomever would be in charge of hiring for such a thing. hand this person your resume and ask them questions about their program, their hiring practices, and whether or not there are any openings for yoga teachers.

even if there are not openings, you can ask to be put on the substitution list--this may require an interview and an audition with the other teachers/employer etc.

most of my first jobs as a yoga teacher came through this method.

where does one find them posted?

craig's list is a good resource for job postings of this sort, though in general i do not find job postings at all. i either know through the grape vine what is going on around town, or people call me (i've been teaching in the area a long while), or i hit the pavement.

what to put on a resume for someone like me with little experience?

the most basic resume recounts:

Yoga Experience: how long you've been practicing, which styles, with whom and when;

Yoga Training: the name of the organization, when (with whom if relevant), and then describe the training or style;

Yoga Teaching Experience: if there is any, but you might want to include anything that you might have done in training such as 'co-teaching" or assisting in classes. you want to write when it happened and where, and what you did.

eg. my students assist before getting their first teaching gig. therefore, they'll put:

Assisting Teaching with Zoebird at Five Elements Yoga Studio
Tuesdays 7:00 pm-8:15 pm class, Aug-Nov 2008

Assisted students in alignment technique while class was lead by Zoebird; lead sections of the sequence of postures while observed by teacher-trainer Zoebird; evaluated on both assisting and leading techniques for safety and effectiveness after each class.

typically, this as well as my recommendation can help them get a position.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-21 5:25 PM (#109567 - in reply to #109545)
Subject: RE: Just Starting out

To answer this question: I would need to know what is "the objective" of your teaching, and what is the "nature" of your Yoga Class.

IYI teacher - 2008-07-21 2:00 PM

Hello fellow teachers and students of Yoga,

I would really appreciate some support and advice from you teachers who are more experienced. I finished my basic teacher training through Integral Yoga just two months ago and am now stepping into the world of teaching part time (to start) here in NYC. What is the best way to get teaching jobs, where does one find them posted, and what to put on a resume for someone like me with little experience?

THanks!

Anita
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)