YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MEN in class!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2008-07-26 12:44 AM (#109691)
Subject: MEN in class!!

Extreme Veteran

I just wanted an opinion from others regarding a recent event. We were finishing class and the teacher said that it was really nice having a class with only "ovaries" in attendance. It was not a situation that lend itself to a lot of discussion.

It has bothered me since for so many reasons. I like the owner of the studio who is male, I have a husband and a son and I sort of like having a mixed class.

OPinions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-07-26 1:05 AM (#109693 - in reply to #109691)
Subject: RE: MEN in class!!

I'm not sure how the genitalia of the other students make for a better class. I also like a mixed class, both as a teacher and as a student. Some women don't like men and would prefer that they were not in their yoga classes so that they can concentrate more on their "sisterly bonding", "honoring the goddess" or whatever. This bias is one of the reasons that there are many more women who take yoga classes than men. Personally, I welcome all people to my yoga classes and do not discriminate based on gender, age, body type, race or any of the other superficial differences that some people make so much of. I hope that others will understand that if I have a class only for women it is the same as a class only for white people or Baptists or hedheads or any other difference that has nothing to do with yoga.
tourist
Posted 2008-07-26 10:13 AM (#109697 - in reply to #109693)

Expert Yogi

I don't know the person involved or what her feelings or opinions are, but if it were me it would have been an comment on the general energy and tone of the class and not meant to be disparaging of any other classes I have taught. I love having all female classes, very mixed classes, classes with lots of couples, classes with several mother/daughter teams, classes that are primarily men, classes full of brand new people, etc., etc..... And I may have even commented on it from time to time. There is a special flavour and enjoyment within each one. Just because I one day say "I love chocolate cake," it does not mean I dislike carrot cake, vanilla cake, angel food cake or any other kind of cake. It is simply an expression of how I feel at that moment.

Posted 2008-07-26 12:20 PM (#109698 - in reply to #109697)

Although I agree that every class has its distinct flavor and it is wonderful to enjoy that distinct flavor, I do not think that what the teacher thinks, feels, or believes has any place in a yoga class unless it is part of the yoga instruction. When I take a yoga class, I want the teacher to share their yoga knowledge, not their personal non-related thoughts, feelings or beliefs. That is what friends are for. Yoga students are not captive "friends". Many yoga teachers believe that it is their class and they can do or say whatever they want. I believe that it is the students' class and I have a responsibility to those students; I am their humble servant.
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-07-26 1:36 PM (#109700 - in reply to #109691)

Veteran

I wouldn't have said there are more women in yoga than men because women like to worship the goddess or whatever- I always thought there were more women in class because men don't see yoga as a real sport or fitness thing. And since Bikram is more strenuous it makes sense to me that there are more men in a bikram class than an other style yoga.
I'm curious gogirl- the teacher- was it a man or woman? you said the owner was male but was that also the teacher of the day.
I teach theater and I wouldn't hesitate to say "hey it's a chick class" if it was all women- but I think I would be weirded out if was in that class with you- being referred to as an ovary is a bit yucky.. so I agree the teacher was probably just commenting on it but I can see why it would have bothered you.
gogirl58
Posted 2008-07-26 3:51 PM (#109703 - in reply to #109700)

Extreme Veteran

It was a woman teacher. I was bothered for several reasons, many of which you mentioned. I realize every day the layers of irritation that I have with it.
1. My loyalty to the owner and my imaginings regarding how he would react. He is a very kind person who would never want to make anyone feel unwelcome.
2. My comradery with male students who I see struggling just like i am. I imagine if they are in
her other classes, they feel some negativity from her. I know when I feel that at a yoga class, I generally assume that its my stuff, but in this case, it's HER issue.
3. The unethicalness of saying it in class and near the end, when I feel people are in a sensitive
emotional state.
4. My desire to have the men in my life enjoy yoga. My husband used ot go to Bikram and overheard women talking about him in a patronizing way.

That's all, I feel better having expressed this.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-07-26 6:11 PM (#109704 - in reply to #109691)

I've been in classes where teachers have commented on it being nice to have some men in attendance (she did not refer to us as testicles or ****s). No one seemed to mind that. And I can see how sometimes a person might think it nice to have a class that had an unusual composition, without that being a slight on the people who were not there. Just last week, for example, there was a class that had only really dedicated folks in it, because the weather was really bad, and as a result the energy in the room felt really strong. That was nice for a change.

The only time I remember being put off by this sort of thing was back in college. I took a beginning ballet class, which was all girls, me and my roomate. (And yes, part of the reason for taking the class was to be in an environment with those beautiful ballet bodies, but I was a kid.) Anyway, the class included a final relaxation where the teacher went through the "Relax" inventory: Relax your face, relax your eyes, relax your tongue etx. And, routinely she would get to a certain point and emphasize a few times: "Relax your ovaries." I could have tried to see this as a zen command, but she also would routinely make jibes at me and my roomate, about how ballet was obviously much harder than we were expecting. She attributed to us what she thought the general jock attitude was toward dance, and she was way off base. The problem for me was that she never started looking at either of us as people. Instead we were just jocks with bad attitudes, and it made no difference what our actual attitude was. The sad part of this was that to go any further, the program desperately needed more male dancers, and no-one stuck it out, partly because of this teacher's prejudice.

Duffy
tourist
Posted 2008-07-27 10:44 AM (#109716 - in reply to #109704)

Expert Yogi

It does depend very much on the tone of voice and the intent, which I suppose could be inferred from previous comments. Duffy, in your example, you would certainly be justified in being insulted. What a way to lose students! In my case, comments regarding the make up of the class would have no more significance than saying "oh look - we all are wearing blue t-shirts today."

Posted 2008-07-28 12:16 AM (#109730 - in reply to #109691)

Yeaaaa, that's an awkward comment. Nothing wrong with NOTICING that there are no men in class, but I wouldn't expect any teacher to be like "oh GOOD, no men today!" We always LOVE to get more men in class at my studio!

Here is my favorite article EVER on men doing Bikram yoga - http://www.bikramyoga.com/press/press24.htm
A quote: "It's not news that more and more men are discovering yoga. But when those guys are cops, firemen, carpenters, construction workers, even a heavyweight boxer, as they are at my studio, then East hasn't just met West, they've moved in together." And this is from 5 years ago...
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-28 5:41 AM (#109735 - in reply to #109730)

Awkward comment! If simply a poorly worded observation, no worries. If a slight, then yep, inappropriate and unyogic or what?!

I don't mind an observation about class make-up and can see why differing class compositions would be interesting to the teacher. I certainly know mine includes on the fly adjustments to her planned programme based on who turns up for example.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-07-28 5:42 AM
jaybird123
Posted 2008-07-30 11:53 AM (#109829 - in reply to #109691)

Regular

I've noticed a subtle bias from some women regarding men in the Yoga class. Its obvious they would prefer no men at all.

Jimg -- you make a good point with this statement

"Some women don't like men and would prefer that they were not in their yoga classes so that they can concentrate more on their "sisterly bonding", "honoring the goddess" or whatever."

There are some female teachers that encourage this since they get to be the center of attention and feel special. These types of instructors also tend to have their favorites which creates a strange and negative environment.

However, the majority of female instructors have encouraged me and have even asked that I practice at the front of the class (i'm not good at the poses but I can hold them). These same instructors also go out of their way to say things like "its great to see men in a yoga class". The majority of the women practicing bikram have also been supportive and i've shared camaraderie with a lot of them. The shared heat and struggle seems to reduce barriers.

Rant
Posted 2008-07-30 2:03 PM (#109838 - in reply to #109691)

gogirl58 - 2008-07-26 12:44 AM

I just wanted an opinion from others regarding a recent event. We were finishing class and the teacher said that it was really nice having a class with only "ovaries" in attendance. It was not a situation that lend itself to a lot of discussion.

It has bothered me since for so many reasons. I like the owner of the studio who is male, I have a husband and a son and I sort of like having a mixed class.

OPinions?

People say dumb s&#t all the time and don't even mean anything by it. Let it go. I am often the only man in my class and don't care nor do I really notice. I have had teachers comment about it but I don't really care either way. It's nice having the locker room to myself.
HollieH
Posted 2008-07-30 6:02 PM (#109848 - in reply to #109691)

I actually found myself a little dissapointed the other day when there seemed to be less men in the room than normal. I'd say classes I attend are usually 30%-40% men. I really like having a class that's more diverse overall, men, women, big, little, young, old, new and experienced. I like the energy.
It was proabably just an odd thing to end up with only women in the class and her observation fell out of her mouth without thinking about how it would be interpreted.
New2Yoga
Posted 2008-07-30 7:49 PM (#109854 - in reply to #109691)

I love men in my classes and we have quite a few male teachers! Hello Bikram is a dude! The men in my class have beautiful bodies! I have no issues with being surrounded by strong arms and shoulders! Now I have to take a cold shower after thinking about it!

Edited by New2Yoga 2008-07-30 7:50 PM
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-31 5:46 AM (#109867 - in reply to #109854)

*LOL* Reminds me of my first experience of working in pairs in my Iyengar class. He was wearing lycra bike shorts and we were doing triangle at the wall. The adjustment to be made meant the person doing the adjustment was nose to naval with the practitioner. I quite literally didn't know where to look :-)

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-07-31 5:47 AM

Posted 2008-07-31 9:43 AM (#109872 - in reply to #109691)

You naughty, naughty ladies...I like that

Ram
Posted 2008-08-01 12:43 PM (#109890 - in reply to #109691)

People get a little out of wack over innocuous comments. I see it merely as an observation of something that probably doesnt happen to often. I doubt the person has anything against males.

As for my perspective. I love attending a class full of women. There is someting almost erotic about scantily clad women sweating and bending in front and around me. I love it.

Posted 2008-08-01 1:44 PM (#109901 - in reply to #109691)

Almost erotic Ram ?? I'd say that modifier is not needed.
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-08-01 2:01 PM (#109902 - in reply to #109691)

Veteran

wow this thread has gotten as hot and steamy as a bikram class! I had a funny class where one of the guys in the front row was wearing a speedo and had what looked like a great package, and every time the teacher said "focus on ONE spot, and don't move your eyes".. well there was only one spot my eyes wanted to go!

Posted 2008-08-01 2:07 PM (#109903 - in reply to #109691)

Nicole, remeber, in the mirror, "objects may appear bigger than they really are." Just don't want you to be disappointed.
Ram
Posted 2008-08-01 4:17 PM (#109909 - in reply to #109903)

Bruce - 2008-08-01 2:07 PM

Nicole, remeber, in the mirror, "objects may appear bigger than they really are." Just don't want you to be disappointed.

That may be the funniest quote I have seen on here. I think most guys look a bit "bigger" in a speedo.

I am curious is it my nature or do others find it slightly (or greatly) arousing by the presence of the opposite sex in class. It's hard to meet people from bikram we come and go so quickly from class.

Posted 2008-08-01 11:07 PM (#109916 - in reply to #109691)

Nicole, AAAHHHHH! Hilarious!!

I do not usually look at the shorts, but I do have to admit that I love it when some cute young newbie with great abs stands behind me in class... nothing like a little eye candy during pranayama... but honestly, once I am 10 minutes into class, I usually stop paying attention to the other people in the room (unless they are doing something REALLY hilarious!) And a lot of the guys who are regulars at the studio look more like dads than boyfriends to me, anyway... (I am a young'un!)
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-08-02 3:51 AM (#109929 - in reply to #109691)

Veteran

bruce- lol! it's just eye candy for me, so I'm not worried about being disappointed!I appreciate the bodies around me (men and women) but I'm not usually aroused by it- hot and sweaty sounds good, but when you're standing in a pool of your own sweat.. not so much.
jaybird123
Posted 2008-08-02 3:22 PM (#109944 - in reply to #109691)

Regular

Well Nicole, you are right, most of the guys are probably your Dad's age. The yoga is interesting mix, all ages of woman but it seems like most of us guys are over 40. 10 minutes into the class I am just concentrating on getting through the poses and really I really don't want to think about anything else.
Andre
Posted 2008-08-05 12:03 AM (#110048 - in reply to #109691)

Extreme Veteran

4. My desire to have the men in my life enjoy yoga. My husband used ot go to Bikram and overheard women talking about him in a patronizing way.

Ahhh. But who really knows what that's about.

I've been the only guy in a studio a bunch of times. I've been one of the only younger guys in a class often. I've felt like I: totally blended in, was stared at or was invading their (women's) space. I can also say there I times I would have loved to take a men's only class to get away from a female vibe. And, I generally enjoy the 9am classes more because the energy seems to be more focused and serious.

FWIW: Not, aroused by the beauty. Distracted at times, sure. And depending on my mental space, I've found the mirrors and scantily clad bodies a bit invasive. I really try to respect people's space and not look. I know at times I've felt like a piece of meat. I didn't like it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)