YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

more back bending
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

patient@44
Posted 2008-08-03 9:13 PM (#109989)
Subject: more back bending

Also, what do people, especially the experienced ashtanga practitioners out there, feel about one (who is only doing primary series) doing some of the intermediate or second series back bending postures, ie, shalabhasana A and B, Dhanurasana, and Ushtrasana as a way to supplement their back bending. I find that the secondary back bending sequence, up until ushtrasana, easier on my back. My primary instructor said that that was fine for me to do in my mysore practice as long as I do the two other asanas that precede the back bending poses.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lewellen17
Posted 2008-08-06 8:10 PM (#110102 - in reply to #109989)
Subject: RE: more back bending

If your teacher has given you the nod, go for it! Mine is far more traditional, I suspect; though I have been "allowed" to start second series before unassisted dropbacks.

UD is a bear of a pose (especially for me), and as the first real backbend in primary series, it's pretty intense. I am only now finding some ease in it (I'm two poses into second series is all, and I am very much looking forward to starting some of the backbends). The nice thing about ustrasana, laghu vajrasana and kapotasana, is that they also help develop the strength in the legs to help stand up from UD, something I'm still struggling with. When I practise at home, I do second up to LV (Kapo if I'm feeling very adventurous), and I find that UD is much more comfortable. Makes sense, really.

namaste,

lisa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)